Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20161224_080220.JPG
IMG_20161224_080155.JPG
so as I have now come into my second full month of LEAF life, I had a look at the Nissan app and just wanted to check that these figures are in the correct ballpark.

My electric costs 9.72p a Kwh (all the time) so i put in 10p just to be cautious.

I have done 5 top up charges (approx 60% upto 99%) for free at Local shops.

I have covered 779 miles...
So in reality i have done 779 miles for under £20?? Am I reading this right?

I know my petrol car would have been around £120 to do this.

Am i missing something or are the savings this good?

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
I do over 1300 miles per month only costs me £40 quid max usually less I'm on 10p oer kwh just upgraded to off peak got a great deal with eon 6p and 10p so saving 40% over a year as most full charges happen overnight.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remember to tell ur electric company or you will be in for a nasty surprise bill
We switched electric supplier from Eon @15.8p a Kwh. down to a little company called iresa @9.72p a Kwh. I had never switched energy suppliers before.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Just a note the app and Carwings webpage only show data when you have said yes to the startup page disclaimer in the car. My wife often presses no hence our car shows 38k and the app thinks we have done around 30k. Ballpark figure for us is £0.04p/mile LEAF V old diesel £0.10p/mile X 38k = £2280 saving on fuel alone. £0.04p is due to frequent use of PAYG public charging.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
View attachment 15964 View attachment 15965 so as I have now come into my second full month of LEAF life, I had a look at the Nissan app and just wanted to check that these figures are in the correct ballpark.

My electric costs 9.72p a Kwh (all the time) so i put in 10p just to be cautious.

I have done 5 top up charges (approx 60% upto 99%) for free at Local shops.

The driving history underestimates the amount of energy used per trip and there are some energy losses during charging so you probably need to add about 25% to the app figures. It's still massively cheaper than petrol though.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just a note the app and Carwings webpage only show data when you have said yes to the startup page disclaimer in the car. My wife often presses no hence our car shows 38k and the app thinks we have done around 30k. Ballpark figure for us is £0.04p/mile LEAF V old diesel £0.10p/mile X 38k = £2280 saving on fuel alone. £0.04p is due to frequent use of PAYG public charging.
I was curious about why the mileages were drastically different, hours is about a 1,000 miles less than the car, I was wondering if that was true miles based on the inaccurate speedo, but I like your explanation better! :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
In terms of economy and not including charging losses, more simply if you are getting between 2.5 and 4 miles per kWh at 10p per kWh TCR then that is approx between 2.5 to 4p per mile.

So yes at least half the price of diesel and if you aren't paying for the top up 100% cheaper :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If you drive less than 80 miles a day and spending £50 a week on fuel an ev is essentially a free car
If you were to say 'if you drive more than 80 miles a day and would spend at least £50 a week on ICE fuel an EV is funded by the fuel saving then I could understand your thought. But an EV is no more free than an old banger ICE where lack of depreciation offsets fuel costs. Sadly current PCP deals seem to be priced to neutralise fuel cost saving making EVs much less attractive to low or average (28 miles) daily mileage owners on who are having to think about going back to ICE for the next PCP car.

We don't just need 40 kWh EVs as the norm in 2017/2018 but 40 kWh cars at the 24 kWh discounted prices of 2014/2015.

·
Registered
48 Posts
But an EV is no more free than an old banger ICE where lack of depreciation offsets fuel costs.
Well, depends on how many miles you drive a year. We bought a 1 year old Tekna for £13k and kept our old banger (Honda FRV 2.0 petrol worth £3.5k). We do 19k miles a year, 90% of which are within Leaf range, there and back. We are actually £1,000 a year better off with both cars than we were with just the Honda, keeping the Honda for the occasional long journey. The savings on petrol and servicing are phenomenal and more than pay for the loan to purchase and running cost of our Leaf.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Well, depends on how many miles you drive a year. We bought a 1 year old Tekna for £13k and kept our old banger (Honda FRV 2.0 petrol worth £3.5k). We do 19k miles a year, 90% of which are within Leaf range, there and back. We are actually £1,000 a year better off with both cars than we were with just the Honda, keeping the Honda for the occasional long journey. The savings on petrol and servicing are phenomenal and more than pay for the loan to purchase and running cost of our Leaf.
@Hubcap Good stuff, there is always somebody who can make it work, but 19k per annum is nearly twice the diesel average and nearly three times the petrol average. What happens when the old banger expires since you need it to do what the BEV can not? Is not the saving of £1000 a year having to go towards replacing the ICE instead of running with one car?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Honda will not need replacing for many years longer now it is hardly doing any mileage. So the saving still goes into our pocket. In fact when factoring in the resultant delay in replacing the Honda, the saving is even greater - I hadn't thought of that!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kept our old banger
Would have been ideal situation for me to begin with. But finances didn't stretch to tax, mot and insuring 2nd car (and I'm the only driver in the house).
I look back now and don't know what I was worried about. We got a 30kw acenta and haven't had a panic moment yet over range. And i started with it at the beginning of November so I haven't had the best weather yet for EV driving -roll on summer and this 150mile range @NissanGB keep advertising ;):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've opted for a 24kw leaf accenta on personal lease. I cover 56 miles per day and would usually pay £50 to £60 per week in petrol. My lease is £225 per month. So as others have said the cost of this offset against cheap electricity top ups should get close to covering what I would have paid In petrol. Servicing is included & I'll have no residual values to worry about. This will allow me to drive around in a new car for 3 years...this is the theory ...it should arrive soon. :).

·
Registered
306 Posts

Looking at the above figures, in energy terms you are doing the equivelant of 175mpg. An ICE driver would be astonished to reach half of that.

If you want to maximise your savings, you could look at changing to an economy 7 electricity tarriff. We do most of our charging overnight and also put appliances on overnight (all easily done with charging timer). Our day rate is 19p but only 6.7p at night and we use 80% of electricity at night.

Obviously everyones circumstances are different so it may not suit you. The above prices are from Ecotricity.

If you do decide to go for economy 7, check what time the cheaper rate starts and finishes as it depends on where you are in the country.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We have done 14,000 miles since last February and are now living in Sweden with our lovely Acenta.
I have an iPhone app called Road trip which I have used to note all of our charge stops at a rate of what we were paying in the UK of 11p per kWh. In Sweden electricity costs about 3p per kwh.
As you may or may no know, Sweden also has a lot of free charging points these tend to require line of sight discovery as they are not put onto any online maps as yet. I've been updating these as I find them on plugshare. Plus there are not many electric car drivers out here in the sticks so we mostly have these charge points to ourselves. I would like to point out that we still use the correct non charger hogging courtesy for any other potential user.

According to my app we should have spent £285.37p, but as 90% of our charge stops were mostly free, the only time we were charged for our energy was in the UK using Ecotricitys motorway charge points to get out of the UK and a few Clever ones in Sweden, so we have payed about £28 so far in fuel. Nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts