Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Mrs Goldfish’s little curb collision that took out the off side tyre and damaged the rim and buckled the near side rim and the subsequent cancellation of all the body work and the current Lockdown situation I thought I would explore fixing a few bits myself.

I had been quoted by BMW £530 for a replacement rim only and of course removing the tyre and TPM valve and re-fitting. So looked around for rims and wheels on eBay to no joy.

However found www.bmwautoparts.net, similarly the rim was around £500 BUT a complete wheel with TPM valve and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-500 was £360 plus £20 postage. bmwautoparts.net are based in Lithuania so I was a little nervous about the transaction but used PayPal. The customer service has been really good as I had to specify the tread direction for the wheel.

Ordered it last Wednesday and arrived today (7 days for delivery) via DPD and it is spot on. Thus saving me over £120 and meaning I now have a spare tyre on the old buckled rim and TPM valve.
Very happy to recommend looking at BMWautoparts.net

Trying to make my mind up as to keep it as a spare Emergency wheel or strip it down and dispose of the rim.

I was also quoted £85 for a smart paint repair for the damage to the off side wheel. Got a BMW black touch up kit, paint with lacquer. Used a dremmel sander to smooth the damage and touched up you can still spot the damage if you get within a foot of the wheel as the light wavers on the edge slightly but really pleased.

The rest of the cosmetic bodywork damage is beyond me so BMW will get this work when we move into the new normal.

Photo of my nice new wheel with BMW part bar code.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Given the cost of the tyre alone at £150 that's an excellent price for a plug and play solution using genuine parts. (y)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This wheel is a 428 rim with a Nokian winter tyre for £300 per corner (52% off) could be a great deal if someone is looking for a winter tyre set. Better check the Nokian is not spiked however 😀. This may have been a cheaper option for me but then I would have been messing around changing tyres and would have a Nokian sitting around.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Regarding i3 wheels, why are the usual suspects Alcar etc not selling steel rims for winter service. Is a 19" rim that hard to form. Is there no preexisting 19" tooling?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I can't think of any examples of vehicles on such narrow 19" steel wheels. Frankly most BMW owners wouldn't want steel wheels anyway.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I can't think of any examples of vehicles on such narrow 19" steel wheels. Frankly most BMW owners wouldn't want steel wheels anyway.
Frankly, you don't understand Nordic and Northern European car drivers norms and expectations...steel rims for winter wheels are the norm no matter if Merc or anything else.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may have something to do with weight saving with regards the the i3, keeping it light for more miles per KWh. Hence no steels available 🤔. Not sure of weight difference however between steel and alloy wheels.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
It may have something to do with weight saving with regards the the i3, keeping it light for more miles per KWh. Hence no steels available 🤔. Not sure of weight difference however between steel and alloy wheels.
Most "alloy" wheels made out of castable aluminium alloys are considerably heavier than pressed steel rims. The alloy walls are multiple times thicker. Aluminium is an incredibly poor material choice for a road car. Don't get confused with magnesium alloys (which are also a poor choice for a road car).

We are all fashion victims on this one!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Regarding i3 wheels, why are the usual suspects Alcar etc not selling steel rims for winter service. Is a 19" rim that hard to form. Is there no preexisting 19" tooling?
BMW space saver rims, 19" for BMW 5 series are readily available (same bolt pattern, suitable rim width). Why no i3 steel rims????

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
231 Posts
If you don't mind the original i3 alloys, BMW sell a complete winter set (tyres, wheels and TPM) for £900. As I was needing to buy new summer tyres within a year or 2, I applied some man-maths: £900 - 200 (selling a set of alloys from previous car, just lying around) - 500 (cost of 4 tyres) - 200 (4 TPM sensors) = 4 free wheels ;)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you don't mind the original i3 alloys, BMW sell a complete winter set (tyres, wheels and TPM) for £900. As I was needing to buy new summer tyres within a year or 2, I applied some man-maths: £900 - 200 (selling a set of alloys from previous car, just lying around) - 500 (cost of 4 tyres) - 200 (4 TPM sensors) = 4 free wheels ;)
Good deal! :unsure:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
BMW space saver rims, 19" for BMW 5 series are readily available (same bolt pattern, suitable rim width). Why no i3 steel rims????
What's the offset for both of them?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,317 Posts
I was working in Southern Germany a few years ago, it was funny to see how all the cars in the factory car park switched over to steel wheels around November.

All manner of exotic metal running the cheapest rustiest steel wheels, albeit with high end winter rubber on them. Made perfect sense!

I purchased a set of BMW alloys with tyres and TPMS sensors from a large Munich BMW dealer for my i3, was just over £230 a corner IIRC.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No idea. Will almost certainly be unsuitable. But obviously the tooling exists to make i3 winter rims at low cost.
Changing the tooling to change the offset would be expensive for such low numbers as the i3.
All manner of exotic metal running the cheapest rustiest steel wheels, albeit with high end winter rubber on them. Made perfect sense!
I wonder how many of those steel wheels were bought new and how many recycled? There does appear to be a significant market for packages of new steel wheels with winter tyres in Germany. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Changing the tooling to change the offset would be expensive for such low numbers as the i3.

Most of the expensive tooling is for making the rim: the tooling clealy exists already for this part.

The tooling also exists for punching/forming the center spigot and wheel bolts.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,317 Posts
I wonder how many of those steel wheels were bought new and how many recycled? There does appear to be a significant market for packages of new steel wheels with winter tyres in Germany.
I think they have a long life, comparatively speaking, my own set of steel wheels and all season tyres (rather than winter, make more sense here in the U.K.) have not long been put away after their fourth winter. They’ll probably do at least one, possibly 2 more winters.

Steel wheels are cheap, it’s true, I think mine were about £18 each brand new. They’re easily recyclable, but will also last for a long time with even a bit of care, and a rattle can of matt black paint will have them like new for a few quid.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I think they have a long life, comparatively speaking, my own set of steel wheels and all season tyres (rather than winter, make more sense here in the U.K.) have not long been put away after their fourth winter. They’ll probably do at least one, possibly 2 more winters.

Steel wheels are cheap, it’s true, I think mine were about £18 each brand new. They’re easily recyclable, but will also last for a long time with even a bit of care, and a rattle can of matt black paint will have them like new for a few quid.
Steel wheels are great for the winter roads complete with potholes that appear everywhere in severe winters. Even if a rim is flatted, a hammer is usually sufficient to rectify.

I'm suspicious that BMW are putting pressure on wheel manufacturers regarding i3 supply.
(How's that for an unsubstantiated statement?)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a chat with a friend who works for a European Automotive company in procurement - just so happens he covers wheels. I asked the cost price of an alloy to the manufacturer he said typically between £50 and £130. £130 for a wheel you or I would buy for £1400 per corner 😱. So massive mark up on alloys it seems.
I remember years ago (so not current figures) doing some work on cost to paint a car - interestingly metallics cost about £30 to paint a full saloon car the pigments and lacquer have better coverage and a solid coat red cost £90. But they charge a premium for metallic and often let you have the solid coat for free. Not complaining, they have to make money, but it shows where they make it.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
How
I had a chat with a friend who works for a European Automotive company in procurement - just so happens he covers wheels. I asked the cost price of an alloy to the manufacturer he said typically between £50 and £130. £130 for a wheel you or I would buy for £1400 per corner 😱. So massive mark up on alloys it seems.
I remember years ago (so not current figures) doing some work on cost to paint a car - interestingly metallics cost about £30 to paint a full saloon car the pigments and lacquer have better coverage and a solid coat red cost £90. But they charge a premium for metallic and often let you have the solid coat for free. Not complaining, they have to make money, but it shows where they make it.
How much to paint 4 corners (wheels) in red mettalic😀?

£1400 per corner = £5600 for the car. Does anyone spend that much on their car?????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts