Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Didn't feel I learnt anything from that, however it's fairly sensible to say writing off BMW and BMWi is stupid. This guy however seems to be hedging bets and backing things"when it's safe to do so". Or at least that's the impression the opinion piece gave.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think you're right with one part... The big wooden spoon.

I'm hugely sceptical of any controversial article that points to/hosted on such an ad riddled website. I would be very surprised to find out that any majority of those BMW i3 owners were actually previously Model S owners. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 that just like trying out "the new toy".

I don't think we are seeing anyone taking a chunk of Tesla's market... Not yet, anyway. I think what we are seeing is the development of the mid range market. A market that Tesla is not a player in yet.

Am I a fanboi... Yes, most likely. But I only really become that way about companies that seem to truly attempt to innovate their industry. Dyson vacuum: Check, Apple laptop: Check, Tesla Car:.... (sooo sooon!)

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Didn't feel I learnt anything from that, however it's fairly sensible to say writing off BMW and BMWi is stupid. This guy however seems to be hedging bets and backing things"when it's safe to do so". Or at least that's the impression the opinion piece gave.
Yes at the moment it does feel like the new big 3 will be Tesla, Nissan and BMW. Though to be honest Nissan do need to pull their finger out and make an electric qashqai. 48kwh would do nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basically the article has not told the basicTesla story, I will help out.

Tesla for a start is nothing like any other auto company, the business model is totally different to the other established players. Tesla also did the reverse of what we might think is the way to start a company.

First they had the Roadster, brutally quick on accelaration, expensive, but to prove a point that an EV can look good, be quick and have a good range.

Then came the Model 'S' also quick, less expensive, but look very good, and have the upmarket family vehicle feel about it.

The Model 'X' will fill the crossover market space when it arrives

Then finally we will get the smaller (mass market) Model 'E' in 2017 which will fit the price bracket for an average Jo so to speak.

So Tesla has done the opposite of what we might expect and gone from big expensive and fast down to the small cost effective mass market vehicle.

And another salient point, Tesla has gone the route (successfully so far) of using a multitude of small lithium-ion batteries similar to a laptop style set up, as opposed to the other EV guys using the larger battery packs.

Cheers . Peter

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The original article is probably correct. There is a whole 'don't flaunt it' attitude in the valley. However much you made out of your options turning up to work in a flashy sports car isn't the done thing. Turning up in a Prius is.

Maybe the i3 is the new Prius.

They'll still have a brace of Tesli(?), but they'll be for the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
So the mentioned valley people replaced their S550 with the Tesla and the Prius with the i3. Sounds good to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts