Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,610 Posts
@Robwiz, I take it the £800 was not invoiced just highlighted by Mannheim?
Good luck on the excess mileage charge but i doubt you will get anywhere.
You signed a contract for x months and x miles. Handing it back early is up to you, sorry to say.
If anything they'll just reduce the allowance pro rata and it'll end up costing more. It's a fixed term agreement...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All, I'm coming to the end of my first lease and I will be grateful if someone can help me with my many questions.

1) Car is due back on 10/01/2018, but I will be returning car by the middle of October. My second service is due by 31/12/2017. Will I get charged for not doing a service which isn't due yet?

2) Front tyres are going, but I'm sure they are completely legal. What are the costs of 16inch standard continental tyres should RCI make a charge for 2 x front tyres?

3) I paid extra for the special/solid white colour (not metallic) and it has literally hundreds of tiny pinpoint rust spotsnnear the boot. What's the best way to deal with this?

4) I have massive scuffs on the right front bumper where paint has come off. Does anyone know how much RCI would charge for this? I'll try post photos soon.

5) I have a few stone chips where the paint has broken/come off. Any idea on costs per chip RCI may charge?

6) I live in Leicester. Can anyone recommend a place for me to get an inspection done before giving car back?

Ill be grateful if someone would chronologically answer all of my questions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Tariq

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi All, I'm coming to the end of my first lease and I will be grateful if someone can help me with my many questions.

1) Car is due back on 10/01/2018, but I will be returning car by the middle of October. My second service is due by 31/12/2017. Will I get charged for not doing a service which isn't due yet?

2) Front tyres are going, but I'm sure they are completely legal. What are the costs of 16inch standard continental tyres should RCI make a charge for 2 x front tyres?

3) I paid extra for the special/solid white colour (not metallic) and it has literally hundreds of tiny pinpoint rust spotsnnear the boot. What's the best way to deal with this?

4) I have massive scuffs on the right front bumper where paint has come off. Does anyone know how much RCI would charge for this? I'll try post photos soon.

5) I have a few stone chips where the paint has broken/come off. Any idea on costs per chip RCI may charge?

6) I live in Leicester. Can anyone recommend a place for me to get an inspection done before giving car back?

Ill be grateful if someone would chronologically answer all of my questions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Tariq

This might help,

Leicester detailing and minor repairs - Google Search

Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My car went back last week, it had some minor chips and scratches but the only thing they picked up on was the front passenger side wing where some kind person had knocked it opening their door leaving a dent and a chip not much bigger than the head of a nail. Said it would be £48 but I've not heard anything from Nissan yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO if the service is due before the end of the agreement then you are liable for it, even if it's collected before the due date.

If it's returned with legal tyres then that is fine. Do ensure you have measured them properly though.

I had this on my white Leaf, mostly along the top of the boot lid. I'd say it was a manufacturing defect (thin paint) but I didn't have it looked at by the dealer. I did give it a light polish with T-Cut before the inspection though so that the rust stains were mostly gone, but you could see tiny yellow dots if you looked closely.

Can't offer advice on this, but I recall reading that chips down to bare metal are outside of the "acceptable wear and tear" - others there is a limit per panel.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just adding my experience to the hivemind. Mannheim collected my car this morning after arranging it with them a couple of weeks ago. Note that despite me notifying Nissan in August that I wanted to hand the car back, I had to chase Mannheim myself to get an appointment. This cost me a little in temporary insurance that I wasn't expecting to have to cover.

Note that it was lucky I had charged the car because they drove it the 50 miles to Sheppy to then be loaded onto a transporter to Paragon Corby.

Overall they were happy with the car, which I had cleaned reasonably thoroughly to make their job easier.

They didn't note various stone chips through to the metal (or bumper substrate). Even a large scratch on the bumper (3cm+) through to the substrate was noted but without a financial penalty. I thought this was very reasonable given that the car has been to the local body shop three times to have a sill, rear door and rear wing bent back into shape then repainted.

Similarly the car has not had its second service, which is now due. No comment was made about this. Mileage was only about 90 over and again no comment.

What surprised me was that they discovered a tiny dent in the rear door. I couldn't see this unless my face was against the bodywork so I asked how to take a picture of it. They produced their lined card used to see dents and I still struggled to see the dent. But they looked at my photographs below and were confident that it is visible because the lines aren't straight. They only assigned a £48 estimate but still I am surprised they picked it up. Is there a zero tolerance on dents of any kind?

IMG_20171010_121039.jpg IMG_20171010_121130.jpg

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
@garyk surprised at that level of inspection.
Remember though Mannheims job is to highlight every detail.
It is for RCI to evaluate fair wear and tear according to the guidelines.
Be prepared to argue the case.

May i ask how much for the sill repair. I have done mine but do wonder if anyone unaware would spot it.
I certainly struggled, only by comparing the profile of my other Leaf right alongside could you tell.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
@garyk surprised at that level of inspection.
Remember though Mannheims job is to highlight every detail.
It is for RCI to evaluate fair wear and tear according to the guidelines.
Be prepared to argue the case.

May i ask how much for the sill repair. I have done mine but do wonder if anyone unaware would spot it.
I certainly struggled, only by comparing the profile of my other Leaf right alongside could you tell.
My sill repair was £150. I made quite a mess of it (scraped bottom against concrete, leaving 20cm long gouge) and it required a fair bit of reshaping, stone chipping and painting. Luckily they didn't notice one of the drain plugs was a different colour!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My sill repair was £150. I made quite a mess of it (scraped bottom against concrete, leaving 20cm long gouge) and it required a fair bit of reshaping, stone chipping and painting. Luckily they didn't notice one of the drain plugs was a different colour!
Not bad at all. Dilemmas dilemmas.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not bad at all. Dilemmas dilemmas.
Having said that, my car repair guy said that I shouldn't have bothered. His view is that they have particular things that they look out for (dents in the doors in my experience) and probably wouldn't notice something out of the normal view on the vehicle. I also think that I got a good price as a loyal, repeat customer ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
@garyk repeat customer :rolleyes::D:D:D
That's the thing, unless you are lying underneath specifically looking for sill damage it is difficult to spot. Even on knees the line is unblemished.
Possibly counting my chickens as a lot can happen in 18 months before return.
I think I will take my chances.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OK so I just received an invoice for the damage in post #306 above. £55.36 including £7.36 for excess mileage. It's not much money but I didn't want them getting away with it.

So I phoned RCI, who were able to bring up the pictures taken at collection, and they agreed that the inspector had been a bit pernickety (as they often are).

Apparently RCI have a policy of checking damage before sending out invoices but the guy I spoke to said he would have waived this if he'd seen it. In fact he questioned whether it had actually been reviewed before sending out.

In any case he told me not to worry and that I had nothing to pay. The mileage was also waived as he said they wouldn't normally request such a small overage. I should expect a letter shortly to confirm this in writing.

Goes to show that it's always worth complaining!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Looking for advice have a c1 on lease which expires next month Manheim will be collecting car is in great condition but have some internal scratches on door panels and glove box nothing deep but wondering if anyone has had experience of this in terms of how much they will charge or if this is fair wear and tear

Thanks

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi

Looking for advice have a c1 on lease which expires next month Manheim will be collecting car is in great condition but have some internal scratches on door panels and glove box nothing deep but wondering if anyone has had experience of this in terms of how much they will charge or if this is fair wear and tear

Thanks
We have never had anything from them for internal damage and we have returned some cars with rather bad internal scratches and marks in the ceiling (the ceiling of the leaf is very easy to damage).

One car had the boot in terrible condition but they didn't say a word.

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
Anything over an inch or two might be charge for.

That said, the person that went over our car hardly even looked at the interior. We did get charged for a scratch on a rear door. They also wrote us up for corroded wheels but I successfully contested that one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well our Leaf 24kWh Tekna was inspected and taken away yesterday.

The inspector was very thorough and after an hour came to say that there was nothing he could pick up that was not within the fair wear and tear guidelines so have us a clean inspection report with no repairs noted. There were a number of small chips around the car but otherwise it had failed well over the 2.5 years and 20k mikes we’ve had from it.

He did say that they no longer bother about corrosion on alloys as these are usually successfully disputed by most users.

And he drive it away, having made sure we had ensured it was 100% charged as he needed to get to Edinburgh (from Kelso) to charge again before heading for Motherwell.

So now it’s just a wait for the Soul EV to arrive (hopefully next week).

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience of handing back a used PCP Leaf yet?
If I let it go the full term, the car will be 5 years old and they can hardly expect great condition at that age.
I'm also wondering what allowance is made for the fact it had 2 years wear and tear on it already when I became the owner.
I've got lots of experience handing back cars we've had from new, which obviously gives an easier starting point for all, but none with a used lease/PCP.

EDIT - CAR BOUGHT OFF NISSAN AND SOLD PRIVATELY, SO MOOT POINT NOW

301 - 320 of 328 Posts
About this Discussion
327 Replies
83 Participants
qwerty
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing