1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Even though the article in the basis is correct, at this moment we need to accept that mining currently indeed is harming the environment. BUT, it's the price we pay to avert climate change. What we should be doing:
  • make recycling mandatory
  • stimulate ongoing research into less damaging materials for batteries and find better ways to mine lithium, copper etc.
  • force minng companies to undo the damage to the landscape as much as possible
When we shut down fossil fuel extraction, we'll be able to give back a lot more to the planet than what we're taking from her with the extraction of metals and minerals. And that's a very big win....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It's certainly not something we should ignore, and more regulation and control should be done, but it's not the biggest problem we have.
Agriculture has been changing/harming the environment for centuries. Britain looks like it does because of farming - the Lake District would be mostly forest without sheep farming. Areas of rainforest that would swallow all these mines are being cleared every year - or possibly every day - just to produce beef, soya and palm oil.

So I'd agree mining a problem, but not number one, or even two or three. As Xinix says, it's benefit currently outweighs its downsides, though we could do it better.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
Sorry, but what am I supposed to be looking at in the article, apart from the over-excitable headline?

I can see some holes in the ground and some evaporation ponds.

.... and ..... ?????

·
Registered
312 Posts
just to be clear, neither the "planet", nor the "environment" give a sh1t what we do to them - maybe if we all started talking about the extinction of the human race, we'd do a bit better
Humans as a species are remarkably adaptable and will likely survive most things... many other species will go extinct as a result of human action, and many individual humans will pay a very high price, but I think extinction of humans is unlikely in the near term at least.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Our government can't even mandate that crisp packets must be recyclable!
Blimey. I wasn't suggesting the UK government ( :ROFLMAO: ) would have a hand, or more likely foot, in it. It's a job for the U.N. ... Er, well, somebody anyway :unsure:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's certainly not something we should ignore, and more regulation and control should be done, but it's not the biggest problem we have.
Agriculture has been changing/harming the environment for centuries. Britain looks like it does because of farming - the Lake District would be mostly forest without sheep farming. Areas of rainforest that would swallow all these mines are being cleared every year - or possibly every day - just to produce beef, soya and palm oil.

So I'd agree mining a problem, but not number one, or even two or three. As Xinix says, it's benefit currently outweighs its downsides, though we could do it better.
It's interesting that people react very differently to agriculture than other land uses.

·
23,349 Posts
Humans as a species are remarkably adaptable and will likely survive most things... many other species will go extinct as a result of human action, and many individual humans will pay a very high price, but I think extinction of humans is unlikely in the near term at least.
Survive a hole in the ground?

errr ... yeah, TBH, I reckon they will .... probably a bit like surviving the fact that there are mountains in the world, too!

·
23,349 Posts
Biggest hole in the ground mankind can make;

about 950m deep

Biggest hole in the ground nature can make;

That's over 5,000 metres deep, if you can't get a sense of the perspective.

·
23,349 Posts
Survive... as a species almost always yes, as individuals maybe not.
Easily survivable if it is totally away from any inhabited areas, at high altitude, and fenced off.

Maybe not survivable if a 'plane crashes into it, but, then, the hole in the ground probably wouldn't have been a factor.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, but what am I supposed to be looking at in the article, apart from the over-excitable headline?

I can see some holes in the ground and some evaporation ponds.

.... and ..... ?????
Well it does seem to be very colourful ;) and it’s not as though this is not the case in many parts of the world where mankind manufacture other products on a large scale.

it reminded me of a number of visits I made some years ago to Aughinish alumina in Ireland. similar scars on the landscape and also huge consumption of power.

Dropped pin
Near Limerick, Co. Limerick, Ireland

1 - 20 of 36 Posts