Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the dipped beam headlight and main beam headlight all in the one h7 halogen bulb on a 2013 zoe?
am new owner of a 2013 Zoe bought last Friday and loving it so far, my first venture into owning an electric vehicle.
2 things about the headlight bulbs for the zoe. When I went searching for the dipped beam bulb and the main beam bulb I took off the cover and found just 1 h7 halogen bulb . The wife's clio Mk4 has h7 for the dipped beam and a h1 halogen for the main beam in the headlight unit. So , how do they do the main beam and dipped beam in the zoe ? It must be a PWM on the h7 one bulb is it? (PWM , a special dimming technology for LED bulbs) if so then no wonder the headlights are poor if the H7 bulb is dimmed on low beam and not its full 51watt and only 51w when high beam is put on. Also dimming of halogens shorten the lives and can blacken the bulb envelope. Next I noticed when they are on the round projector magnifying lens glass on ours is black with grime , presumably from the heat of the h7 halogen bulbs over time. So is there any way these round progector lens inside the headlight be polished up nice and clean I wonder? Only thing I can think is getting a stick with a bit of cloth/flanneling on the end and wipe the projector lens when the bulbs are out maybe?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
566 Posts
Is the dipped beam headlight and main beam headlight all in the one h7 halogen bulb on a 2013 zoe?
Yes. All ZOEs before the ZE50 used a shutter to blank out part of the main beam, in order to give a dip beam. So just one bulb that is always on.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
am new owner of a 2013 Zoe bought last Friday and loving it so far, my first venture into owning an electric vehicle.
2 things about the headlight bulbs for the zoe. When I went searching for the dipped beam bulb and the main beam bulb I took off the cover and found just 1 h7 halogen bulb . The wife's clio Mk4 has h7 for the dipped beam and a h1 halogen for the main beam in the headlight unit. So , how do they do the main beam and dipped beam in the zoe ? It must be a PWM on the h7 one bulb is it? (PWM , a special dimming technology for LED bulbs) if so then no wonder the headlights are poor if the H7 bulb is dimmed on low beam and not its full 51watt and only 51w when high beam is put on. Also dimming of halogens shorten the lives and can blacken the bulb envelope. Next I noticed when they are on the round projector magnifying lens glass on ours is black with grime , presumably from the heat of the h7 halogen bulbs over time. So is there any way these round progector lens inside the headlight be polished up nice and clean I wonder? Only thing I can think is getting a stick with a bit of cloth/flanneling on the end and wipe the projector lens when the bulbs are out maybe?
You refer to PWM for LED bulbs but then state the bulb is an H7 Halogen.

What kind of bulb is it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You refer to PWM for LED bulbs but then state the bulb is an H7 Halogen.

What kind of bulb is it?
sorry , yep its got a H7 Halogen definately I took it out yesterday - I think there must be some kind of dimming going on mustnt there be there is only 1 filament in a H7 halogen bulb (OK not PWM because as you point out thats only for LED)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. All ZOEs before the ZE50 used a shutter to blank out part of the main beam, in order to give a dip beam. So just one bulb that is always on.
ah right thank you that makes sense then - also makes sense that I can hear a clunk when I put on the main beams from under the bonnet then. i thought that was just a relay or something. Now I get it. they would have been better to put a dual filament H4 bulb in its place then .

So , no wonder people say the lights are poor on a zoe in the dark then if its just 1 bulb for the dipped and the main then .

the wife's Clio 4 uses 2 bulbs on each side - 1xH7(55w) and 1xH1 (55w) so when her full beams are on thats 110w of light out of 1 headlight unit because they are both lit at the same time .
So on the Zoe then thats only half the light you will get even with the main beam on then - no wonder they are not bright even with the main beams on then .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I fitted the Leds like the ones in the video below to my 2017 Q90 Zoe and it passed the Mot without a problem

I Found The Adapter & Dust covers a bit cheaper @ Aliexpress Aliexpress SK 17 Adapter looks the same £ 2.20 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SKYJOYCE-2PCS-white-H1-H7-led-headlight-bulbs-led-lamp-holder-adapter-socket-connector-S2-P7/32822523652.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.58594c4d4fDw3p
Aliexpress 75mm Dust Cover looks the same£ 2.64 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs-Car-LED-Light-Dust-Cover-Inner-Dia-Rubber-Housing-Seal-Cap-Dust-Cover-for-Car/32884736582.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.58594c4d4fDw3p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a pair of these nighteyes LED H7 Bulbs last year for the wife's Renault Clio Mk4 and been happy with them - they are fanless and small heatsink and about the same size as a normal H7 halogen bulb - think I will try them in the Zoe headlight one day soon and see what they look like .

H7 LED Bulbs - ebay

The Supplied halogens H7's fitted to the Zoe dont seem to throw a pretty nice pattern do they when your facing a white wall, you can see the magnified projectors and they are not very clear cut lines the pattern they throw out .. well not on mine

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
343 Posts
Isn't it about time halogen bulbs went the way of the dinosaur juice on cars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts