Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So my EV journey finally begins! Delivered this morning at work - and first drive home as my normal commute and I am very pleased!

My commute is 70 miles each way, so the leg home today on the M25 car park meant I got pretty good efficiency considering the traffic was fairly heavy. It ended up 3.7m/kWh when I pulled up on the drive. Was 100% when delivered thankfully and only used 35% of the battery. Was mainly sensible driving, doing 70 when I could. Did have a couple of blips to see how the power was which put a smile on my face!

First impressions are that the ProPilot does it job fantastically on the motorway, and I am going to have to not find a way to have the car keep pestering about holding the wheel. My old car had an explicit 15 second rule, seems the Leaf is a little more keen than that. I don't make a habit of going hands free, but it's more comfortable in stop/start traffic.

Range will see as things settle down over time, but was better than I anticipated based on the conditions today. So will see how it fairs if I get a more consistent 70mph run (rare on my commute anyhow).

Bose sound system is good, I favour Electronic music at the moment and it played well, if a little bass heavy but was not tiring unlike the Toyota I just returned. Did a stretch of silence just to appreciate the serenity of no engine noise! Getting used to other things, and waiting for Nissan Connect to sort itself out, but will be taking time to integrate into my home automation for preconditioning / charge delay etc. Ride is comfortable enough, and despite plasticky / slightly dated interior I don't feel it would bother me too much over the acclimation I had with VAG group cars.

Thankfully the EV charger was installed yesterday just in time - but it connected up to car straight away and pulled 6kW so happy with that all coming together nicely. Then switch to Octopus tomorrow, so should be on their Go tariff pretty quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am in same position just got it . Nice car . Dare I ask if you have tried the mobile app yet as I am having hell with it !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in same position just got it . Nice car . Dare I ask if you have tried the mobile app yet as I am having hell with it !
Yep first thing I did! Called Nissan on it this morning.

You must be using ‘Nissan Connect Services’ app for start, it has Leaf and other cars supported.

Then once you’ve registered, mine has only got 16/32 services active (up from 12 this am), and it actually takes up to 48 hours, not the 4 hours stated on the app!

It’s slowly getting there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts
Then once you’ve registered, mine has only got 16/32 services active (up from 12 this am), and it actually takes up to 48 hours, not the 4 hours stated on the app!
And the rest !

After 72 hrs (& 25/32) gave up and prepared to start again. But although app let me create a new account and invited me to log in after I'd verified email, it wouldn't accept the new credentials. It can't be due to trying to open a second account on the same phone as I'd uninstalled app before re-trying. It can't be because I've got two conflicting accounts trying to access same car because I haven't told the new instance anything about the car yet.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I tried that and you can’t have two accounts with same vin number
N.B. "It can't be because I've got two conflicting accounts trying to access same car because I haven't told the new instance anything about the car yet".
I've actually created two new accounts today - using different email addresses - but neither of them have got as far as entering the V.I.N.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still not sorted with app yet. Been back and forth with Nissan Support over the week. They keep asking me to remove / add to app or "retry activation" and perform a Software Update in the car to force it to sync. No change.

Apparently I should be moving onto a different technical team now... It's not the best app experience! Will see how it continues to pan out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also a little addition on electricity costs for those interested in costs.

After 900 miles:
  • £26.74 spent in Electricity at home
  • works to 3p per mile
  • Includes 33kW of free charging out and about (£5.10 saved over home charging)
  • Total delivery of 286kW to car
  • Currently averaging 3.15 miles/kW based on above
Home Charging based on Octopus Go in the Southern region. Not including standing charge as I would be paying that regardless of EV charging or not.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Still not sorted with app yet. Been back and forth with Nissan Support over the week. They keep asking me to remove / add to app or "retry activation" and perform a Software Update in the car to force it to sync. No change.

Apparently I should be moving onto a different technical team now... It's not the best app experience! Will see how it continues to pan out.
Having been (indeed still am) a victim myself, I'm pretty well convinced that the only 'benefit' to removing & re-adding accounts, retrying activation or asking car to check for software updates is to give us something to do that will keep us off bothering the help desk for a bit longer ! :devilish:

It's now over two weeks that I've been trying to use the app and there's a distinct lack of progress. If anything it gets worse the longer I've tried.

From
Currently averaging 3.15 miles/kW based on above
Home Charging based on Octopus Go in the Southern region. Not including standing charge as I would be paying that regardless of EV charging or not.
Is the Octopus Go standing charge the same as whatever tariff you replaced it with ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You are right it appears to be delaying the inevitable that the software is not fit or the cars have a fault. Has anyone been to watchdog or trading standards?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you do a search, someone actually rejected the car as they couldn't get the new Nissan Connect App to work on their 62kW LEAF.

It is no wonder why the app gets a low score on the App store / Google Play.

I have been pretty lucky that it works most of the time - I think that the issue is down to capacity as typically the only time I haven't been able to connect is when it was recently very cold and I couldn't connect to pre warm the car... :(

Certainly I would like to think that BBC Watchdog would be very interested to hear our tales!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I was hoping that’s not the case. It’s not perfect but it’s usable now. I had an ‘66 Audi before this and that had plenty of app problems considering the premium you pay for the brand!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t waste your time trying to get Nissan’s app to work. Took me 3 months before I even managed to sign up. They come up with umpteen different recommendations but you’ll just get increasingly frustrated. It’s high time that admitted the app is US and did something about it.
Having said all that, there is at least one app which does work - myLeaf. Unfortunately you still have to complete registration with Nissan ( more hassles!) but once you have, and have downloaded the app and set a name and p/w for myLeaf you will be able to access everything you need.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
4.5p more than my previous supplier (Bulb)
4.5p more???

I found the Octopus Go to be the best in the UK:
Off-peak unit rate (00:30-04:30): 5.00 p / kWh

Peak unit rate (04:30-00:30): 13.31 p / kWh

Standing Charge: 25.00 p / day
The best thing being the timer function and charging from 00:30-04:30 works a dream (and results in costs of around 1.7p/mile instead of 5p/mile).

My current overall average cost are 2.2p/mile, but have just found Yorkshire has a network of free (until Oct 2021) fast chargers courtesy of Engie (and thankfully working - unlike CYC) so I'm hoping to bring that overall down to as close to Zero as possible!

:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We get mugged a little more for energy in the South East!

I actually did the math and compared against Agile - turns out in the 3 weeks with Go, I would have saved a further £15 switching to Agile, so done that.

Last night was first Agile charge - which was lovely given it hovered between 0.46p - 2.77p / kWh for my 80% charge. Windy night = cheap charge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow ...wasn't even aware of the Octopus Agile Tarrif.

Going to have to see if its worth trying...but as I'm trying to be a proper Yorkshire cheapskate and get fast (free) charges from Engie until Oct 2021...suspect I'll be staying on Go for a while longer until Oct 2021 (when the free rate 'changes to ???')
:)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts