Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently on the road, driving from southern Portugal to Germany, some 2880km. You get time to think about thIngs on a long trip ;-)

Driving through Spain it looked like most of France was on the road, trying to get back home, most at break neck speed. I was driving bang on the speed limit, virtually everyone was passing me, some a good 50km/h over the speed limit. I knew full well that driving at that speed in an EV would mean too many charge stops on a route that doesn’t exactly have lots of chargers (although it has improved significantly since my first wander south two years ago), it then occurred to me, the fossil fuelled car drivers don’t care how much fuel they are burning, they can stop for a 5 minute fill and be back on the road, but, of course they can never use that excuse to not buy an EV can they?!

This is a problem I feel, whilst we might like think the EV take up is good, I’ve counted less than 30 EV’s in three days of driving here, they might as well not exist and the roads are very busy.

Changing the subject slightly, France needs to hang it’s ECO head in shame, on this southern French route it’s still a shameful desert for chargers, if it wasn’t for Ionity it wouldn’t be passable IMO. We stayed with friends for one night, I didn’t want to siphon their electricity, so decided to use a rapid charger 20 minutes away, I arrive and there is a M3 charging, no one to be seen and no status on the charger to give me a clue how long I might have to wait, so I left. Later in the afternoon I went to the only other rapid chargers in the area, it was located next to a busy road with barely enough space to park our Kona, charge started at 44kw and within minutes dropped to 34kw, and there it stayed, it was 25c ambient, the battery was at a perfect 24c, and as no other charge I’ve had before or after behaved like it I have to assume that it was the charger to blame, all fine until you realise you are paying in 15 minute segments, and the 80% charge I needed took 1.5 hours.

Now I’m fairly tolerant, I love driving our EV, but the charging experience is still a complete mess. For instance a single account of part of today’s charging fun, I have an Iberdrola account, their chargers have never let me down. I can use my Iberdrola app to start the rapid chargers that Ionity have provided alongside their Ultrarapids, it’s 30c per kwh rather than Ionity’s adhoc 79c rate, I’m travelling with dogs, so I don’t need the quicker chargers so have been happy to slum it at 50kw, except today after their app started the charge, it promptly stopped, 8 hours later the app refuses to close and still thinks we are charging!

I tried my MyHyundai card to start the charge, the charger then stated “waiting for surplus power to become available“, an ID.4 and Audi eTron were charging on the ultras, so it appears Ionity was blocking the only Leaf capable charger to furnish their ultras! I gave up, put our car on the third charger paid Ionity their insane 79c per kWh and instantly got 76kw, so it wasn’t like there was a power shortage!

The only positive I can add, was that by having a load of apps, many RFID cards I’ve managed to get sorted at every stop, but the time wasted adds up, and I can see how someone else less prepared could truly get stuck, as we very nearly did when a reboot of a phone (to attempt to clear a stuck app) presented us with a SIM card number prompt, a number long since forgotten number, but SO thankfully still set to a default, without that phone we couldn't start anything!

Right now I honestly hope they don’t sell too many more EV’s, this journey would be a nightmare if there were any more on the roads!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think that's why Tesla lead in EV's. It's not just the car you're buying, it's the super charger network that goes with it as well. Have you looked at A Better Route Planner and seen if the journey would have been easier?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's why Tesla lead in EV's. It's not just the car you're buying, it's the super charger network that goes with it as well. Have you looked at A Better Route Planner and seen if the journey would have been easier?
If only I could afford one it would already be in place!

This is my first trip using the Premium ABRP linked via EVNotify to the car, ”that’s” actually been very good and accurate. But of course the myriad ways of paying for the charging is beyond their control, that’s a major stumbling block IMO.

·
Registered
Kona 64
704 Posts
I’m currently on the road, driving from southern Portugal to Germany, some 2880km. You get time to think about thIngs on a long trip ;-)

Driving through Spain it looked like most of France was on the road, trying to get back home, most at break neck speed. I was driving bang on the speed limit, virtually everyone was passing me, some a good 50km/h over the speed limit. I knew full well that driving at that speed in an EV would mean too many charge stops on a route that doesn’t exactly have lots of chargers (although it has improved significantly since my first wander south two years ago), it then occurred to me, the fossil fuelled car drivers don’t care how much fuel they are burning, they can stop for a 5 minute fill and be back on the road, but, of course they can never use that excuse to not buy an EV can they?!

This is a problem I feel, whilst we might like think the EV take up is good, I’ve counted less than 30 EV’s in three days of driving here, they might as well not exist and the roads are very busy.

Changing the subject slightly, France needs to hang it’s ECO head in shame, on this southern French route it’s still a shameful desert for chargers, if it wasn’t for Ionity it wouldn’t be passable IMO. We stayed with friends for one night, I didn’t want to siphon their electricity, so decided to use a rapid charger 20 minutes away, I arrive and there is a M3 charging, no one to be seen and no status on the charger to give me a clue how long I might have to wait, so I left. Later in the afternoon I went to the only other rapid chargers in the area, it was located next to a busy road with barely enough space to park our Kona, charge started at 44kw and within minutes dropped to 34kw, and there it stayed, it was 25c ambient, the battery was at a perfect 24c, and as no other charge I’ve had before or after behaved like it I have to assume that it was the charger to blame, all fine until you realise you are paying in 15 minute segments, and the 80% charge I needed took 1.5 hours.

Now I’m fairly tolerant, I love driving our EV, but the charging experience is still a complete mess. For instance a single account of part of today’s charging fun, I have an Iberdrola account, their chargers have never let me down. I can use my Iberdrola app to start the rapid chargers that Ionity have provided alongside their Ultrarapids, it’s 30c per kwh rather than Ionity’s adhoc 79c rate, I’m travelling with dogs, so I don’t need the quicker chargers so have been happy to slum it at 50kw, except today after their app started the charge, it promptly stopped, 8 hours later the app refuses to close and still thinks we are charging!

I tried my MyHyundai card to start the charge, the charger then stated “waiting for surplus power to become available“, an ID.4 and Audi eTron were charging on the ultras, so it appears Ionity was blocking the only Leaf capable charger to furnish their ultras! I gave up, put our car on the third charger paid Ionity their insane 79c per kWh and instantly got 76kw, so it wasn’t like there was a power shortage!

The only positive I can add, was that by having a load of apps, many RFID cards I’ve managed to get sorted at every stop, but the time wasted adds up, and I can see how someone else less prepared could truly get stuck, as we very nearly did when a reboot of a phone (to attempt to clear a stuck app) presented us with a SIM card number prompt, a number long since forgotten number, but SO thankfully still set to a default, without that phone we couldn't start anything!

Right now I honestly hope they don’t sell too many more EV’s, this journey would be a nightmare if there were any more on the roads!
Thanks for the update, I am off to France next month. Last time I was able to visit in 2019 Ionity had a fixed charge of 7€ per session, very cheap, Not enough Ionity chargers then to make it too the Med 2 years ago. At least its more do-able now. I had hoped to use their 50kW chargers to save money but your experience does not inspire confidence.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,639 Posts
I will probably by trying non-Tesla grand touring through France later this year. It will be an interesting experiment.

Probably a combination of throwing money at Ionity, and choosing hotels with destination charging.

Although I did manage to hunt out a few decent 50 kW chargers in France last time...but that was a long time ago pre-Covid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
all fine until you realise you are paying in 15 minute segments, and the 80% charge I needed took 1.5 hours.

Aren't there moves to change the time charging in France? There is no incentive for the networks to improve charge rates if they are charging by time, and if you have a slower charging car such as you appear to have (as I do) you can't take full benefit of the really fast chargers. A kWh rate would be far better and maybe a penalty for time spent once you achieve 80%.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I will probably by trying non-Tesla grand touring through France later this year. It will be an interesting experiment.

Probably a combination of throwing money at Ionity, and choosing hotels with destination charging.

Although I did manage to hunt out a few decent 50 kW chargers in France last time...but that was a long time ago pre-Covid.
At the moment if you need CCS in most parts of France it’s a choice between Ionity and a growing number of local authority-installed rapids (which aren’t on motorways). Corri-Door had promise but is as good as dead now. The Auchan free rapids only have AC and Chademo.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
Thanks for the update, I am off to France next month. Last time I was able to visit in 2019 Ionity had a fixed charge of 7€ per session, very cheap, Not enough Ionity chargers then to make it too the Med 2 years ago. At least its more do-able now. I had hoped to use their 50kW chargers to save money but your experience does not inspire confidence.
The roads will be less busy. Holiday time over and back to work!

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,162 Posts
Hi, we recently finished a 4000km journey (all in) to Provence and had very limited issues with charging. I used ABRP and Chargemap to plan and got a Freshmile card, which was pretty much all we used. We were in the eNiro and used mainly 175kw chargers, one 350kw and a couple of 50kw chargers on the main journeys plus destination chargers whilst travelling around on holiday.

We didn’t use Ionity at all. Total chargers are great and cost 35p/kw for 175 kw speed using Freshmile card.

Some of the chargers we could ‘pre-book’ 30 mins beforehand using the app, which was great. The card cost €5 including post to the UK.

When we were in Provence, there were destination chargers everywhere, many free of charge. The only quibble is that virtually all are 22kw, but the eNiro could only take 7kw from them. It would be great to have a three phase charger in your car in France.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Isn't Tesla planning on opening their super charger network too non Tesla's in Europe?
That will we an eye opener to all the other charging providers.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
579 Posts
I’m currently on the road, driving from southern Portugal to Germany, some 2880km.
So envious! Myself, mum and siblings did that several times in 1981-2, generally taking 5 days each way, Praia da Rocha to the Gottingen region.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mourn the loss of the 8 euro capped charged rate I can tell you, my only Ionity session yesterday cost 34 euro, fortunately for Germany I have an card that will give me a cheaper rate. Last nights stay I used what looked like a new corridor charger, it may have been a replacement for the failed ones, but having not stopped here before I can’t say for sure.

I started another 50kw Ionity charger with my MyHyundai card, nothing showing on the account so can’t say what it cost. I’ll put together a post with all the charges once they appear if it is a help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is interesting, how in some countries a large amount of population seem to think speed limit is some kind of suggestive number. I think more countries should use the Finnish system where the speeding ticket fine depends on how big your salary is. Depending how much you overspeed, you can get a ticket of 10...100 days of your salary.

As per charging network, at least in Finland it has improved radically over the last two years I've owned my Kona. We only need 3 apps (soon 4th) to cover the major charging networks, so that's manageable too. However I can see how that becomes a nightmare once crossing borders. The growth of EV charging network will explode in EU in the coming years as the money is being poured to them - on just has to hope the money goes to proper providers, not to gravy train operators owned by politicians friends...

·
Registered
Kona 64
704 Posts
Hi, we recently finished a 4000km journey (all in) to Provence and had very limited issues with charging. I used ABRP and Chargemap to plan and got a Freshmile card, which was pretty much all we used. We were in the eNiro and used mainly 175kw chargers, one 350kw and a couple of 50kw chargers on the main journeys plus destination chargers whilst travelling around on holiday.

We didn’t use Ionity at all. Total chargers are great and cost 35p/kw for 175 kw speed using Freshmile card.

Some of the chargers we could ‘pre-book’ 30 mins beforehand using the app, which was great. The card cost €5 including post to the UK.

When we were in Provence, there were destination chargers everywhere, many free of charge. The only quibble is that virtually all are 22kw, but the eNiro could only take 7kw from them. It would be great to have a three phase charger in your car in France.
I agree about 3phase, thats for the next car. I have several charge cards including Révéo which works not only in the Herault but across local networks all over France. Last time I used a Total charger at Perpignan it refused to start, a bit like the problems I had with Corridor.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,761 Posts
The only quibble is that virtually all are 22kw, but the eNiro could only take 7kw from them. It would be great to have a three phase charger in your car in France.
That' a bummer for you - I am a big fan now of Tesco, well, the 2 near me that have freebie stumpy 22kw posts - my Kona64 drinks at a solid 11.2 from them. I'd thought the eNiro was the same under bonnet but guess not from your experience.
Thanks for the information though, it is so interesting hearing about these journeys and experiences

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
Kona 64
704 Posts
That' a bummer for you - I am a big fan now of Tesco, well, the 2 near me that have freebie stumpy 22kw posts - my Kona64 drinks at a solid 11.2 from them. I'd thought the eNiro was the same under bonnet but guess not from your experience.
Thanks for the information though, it is so interesting hearing about these journeys and experiences
[/QUOTE. 3phase charging only came in last year on the Kona. My ancient 2018 Kona is single phase 7kW. Not a big problem in the UK but in France the 3phase option would be very useful

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just seen now the the 4+ has 11kw charging, we have the 3. I completely missed this when comparing the specs.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
@CicloByron UPDATED: The other thing which I have mentioned in another thread is that the annual fee for Ionity as part of your Kia or Hyundai charge card is £135. If you used Ionity only for your 2880km trip (1,800 miles), this would save (in £GBP) £180, if you averaged 4.5 miles/kw (I don't know what you usually get). So one of your trips and you have more than covered the annual fee. If you are doing a lot more miles than this, then it is worth having.

Reactions: rompik

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
That’s troubling. What’s the latest with Corrí-door?
They took about two thirds of their chargers out of service overnight a couple of years ago "for safety reasons" (they look like the same model that Geniepoint use in the UK so I'm not sure exactly what the issue was). There's been little attempt to replace them and the remaining chargers are the terrible DBT model used by Ecotricity.

There's more here (in English):

1 - 20 of 87 Posts