Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is interesting, how in some countries a large amount of population seem to think speed limit is some kind of suggestive number. I think more countries should use the Finnish system where the speeding ticket fine depends on how big your salary is. Depending how much you overspeed, you can get a ticket of 10...100 days of your salary.

As per charging network, at least in Finland it has improved radically over the last two years I've owned my Kona. We only need 3 apps (soon 4th) to cover the major charging networks, so that's manageable too. However I can see how that becomes a nightmare once crossing borders. The growth of EV charging network will explode in EU in the coming years as the money is being poured to them - on just has to hope the money goes to proper providers, not to gravy train operators owned by politicians friends...
Personally I hate the apps, ok for management of charging history perhaps, but I’d say 95% of my charging issues are due to flaky apps reliant on a good signal, I much prefer a RFID card, two the screen plug in, sorted. Better still, plug in and charge.

after the Corridor debacle in France, I hope the EU will keep closer tabs on the charger investment!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They took about two thirds of their chargers out of service overnight a couple of years ago "for safety reasons" (they look like the same model that Geniepoint use in the UK so I'm not sure exactly what the issue was). There's been little attempt to replace them and the remaining chargers are the terrible DBT model used by Ecotricity.

There's more here (in English):

Charring was found in two chargers, rumour has it they used it as an excuse to pull them as they weren’t profitable. The manufacturers offered to refurbish them but it was turned down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@CicloByron UPDATED: The other thing which I have mentioned in another thread is that the annual fee for Ionity as part of your Kia or Hyundai charge card is £135. If you used Ionity only for your 2880km trip (1,800 miles), this would save (in £GBP) £180, if you averaged 4.5 miles/kw (I don't know what you usually get). So one of your trips and you have more than covered the annual fee. If you are doing a lot more miles than this, then it is worth having.
I did look at the subscription, but as Ionity would only cover half the charges it wasn’t worthwhile. I did however get a EWEgo card which works perfectly in Germany, gives a bit of discount.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For people like @CicloByron I would consider ionity subscription.
Normally i stay away for all the subscription models as you end up payinjg for years not using the service (gym :D:D)
But it works out cheaper to pay for the entire year (£11/month) and use it just over summer holiday if you have to charge at least 7-8 times @0.25/kwh.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Charring was found in two chargers, rumour has it they used it as an excuse to pull them as they weren’t profitable. The manufacturers offered to refurbish them but it was turned down.
It’s a pain because the Aire des 2 Caps rapid was incredibly helpful when arriving by tunnel/ferry with lowish charge. From a purely selfish point of view there’s an annoying lack of rapids on the A16 corridor until you get to Baie de Somme (I spend lots of time in the Montreuil area and there is nothing for miles around).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Corridoor (EDF) have replaced a few of the old chargers with new Tritium chargers but the replacement progress is very slow, if it's progressing at all.

The charging situation in France is absolutely appalling really, with the vast majority of rapid chargers installed and run by local authorities. Consequently they're in the least relevant locations and tend to be single units. Contrast this with the UK where we tried the local authority model, found it to be completely lacking (same as most local authority projects really), and left it to the free market, which in the last year or so has really stepped up to the plate (looking at you, Instavolt, Gridserve, and Osprey). As somebody that frequently visits family in France, I'm finding that the difference between the rapid charging situation in our two countries is getting wider and wider every time. The only area where we're as bad as France is destination charging.

The only redeeming feature about charging in France is the legal requirement for chargers to accept 'roaming' cards, so although there are dozens of networks, one or two RFID cards is all you need.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,162 Posts
Corridoor (EDF) have replaced a few of the old chargers with new Tritium chargers but the replacement progress is very slow, if it's progressing at all.

The charging situation in France is absolutely appalling really, with the vast majority of rapid chargers installed and run by local authorities. Consequently they're in the least relevant locations and tend to be single units. Contrast this with the UK where we tried the local authority model, found it to be completely lacking (same as most local authority projects really), and left it to the free market, which in the last year or so has really stepped up to the plate (looking at you, Instavolt, Gridserve, and Osprey). As somebody that frequently visits family in France, I'm finding that the difference between the rapid charging situation in our two countries is getting wider and wider every time. The only area where we're as bad as France is destination charging.

The only redeeming feature about charging in France is the legal requirement for chargers to accept 'roaming' cards, so although there are dozens of networks, one or two RFID cards is all you need.
Like I said earlier, we didn't find an issue with France. One card (Freshmile) covered all of the chargers we used, including the regional ones in Provence. In the UK, there are still cases of local authorities with strange charging systems. Over the weekend, we were in Co. Durham and their chargers use Mer/Grønn Kontakt, something I haven't seen anywhere. Then on our way back, the Gridserve was full and the nearest rapid used an app from Engie. Neither of these are on KIA/Hyundai charge or anything else we had.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Normally i stay away for all the subscription models as you end up payinjg for years not using the service (gym :D:D)
But it works out cheaper to pay for the entire year (£11/month) and use it just over summer holiday if you have to charge at least 7-8 times @0.25/kwh.
It’s a shame you can’t take it for just a month or two like Fastned, it would be a no brainer then. Perhaps once travel is less restricted by Covid rules changing it would become a better option for me..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like I said earlier, we didn't find an issue with France. One card (Freshmile) covered all of the chargers we used, including the regional ones in Provence. In the UK, there are still cases of local authorities with strange charging systems. Over the weekend, we were in Co. Durham and their chargers use Mer/Grønn Kontakt, something I haven't seen anywhere. Then on our way back, the Gridserve was full and the nearest rapid used an app from Engie. Neither of these are on KIA/Hyundai charge or anything else we had.
It's absolutely the achilles heal of our charging network, and yet it could be very easily sorted by the government mandating roaming. Overnight you'd have all the BP Pulse, Swarco, Engie, etc. chargers opened up to cards from NewMotion, ChargeMap, PlugSurfing, etc. You'd basically need one RFID card in the car that could operate any charger - as is the case in much of Europe.

Octopus are trying to push it with their Electric Juice card, but it's entirely upon the charging networks whether they join or not. And there isn't a hope in hell of the likes of BP Pulse or PodPoint joining.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,737 Posts
FYI - Mer is signed up to Zap-Pay now.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
Kona64
1,761 Posts
For covering the "in case "
add on Chargeprice / Ionity / Juicepass / MerConnect / ChargePoint / InCharge / SourceLondon / ChargeplaceScotland
WattsUp / BP Pulse / GeniePoint

I also have one called Laadpaal App which sounds a bit Dutch tho

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've got a Delta Debit card. :)

P.S. Chargeplace Scotland have a phone number on the charger, if you phone them, they start the free charge for you.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Thanks, so far on my phone I have:

• ChargeYourCar
  • Pod Point
  • ZapMap
  • BP Pulse
  • PlugShare
  • InstaVolt
  • Ubitricity (Liverpool)
  • Freshmile (France)
  • Chargemap
  • KiaCharge
  • BE.EV
  • Shell Recharge
  • Engie-Mobility
Pretty straightforward this charging game. Anyone else beat this?
How come you haven't added ChargeMyHyundai? :)

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ahh... this is a different topic. We have a Hyundai Ioniq 38 and Kia eNiro 64. We got the card for the Kia for the big French journey. My question has been on another thread; "if I take the Ionity subscription out on the Kia, can I use the card on the Hyundai at Ionity".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ahh... this is a different topic. We have a Hyundai Ioniq 38 and Kia eNiro 64. We got the card for the Kia for the big French journey. My question has been on another thread; "if I take the Ionity subscription out on the Kia, can I use the card on the Hyundai at Ionity".
The terms and conditions of MyKia may have a word about what car you may use that service with. Then again nobody reads the T&C so if it becomes a problem, you just didn't know...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
MyHyundai can shove their card, 41 euro for a 50kw charger on our road trip to Germany, should have been able to use our Iberdrola account but their app was buggered, would have only been 12-13 euro!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
ChargeMyHyundai card/account has been useful to me, 50p flat-free on top of whatever the standard rate is for the Rapid (unless you have a better deal of course!). Worked for me on an Instavolt when the app totally failed me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This sounds interesting, but I am struggling to see from their website where you pay such a subscription. I presume the subscription means you may reduced rates at the chargers, but I also can't see those. Any pointers would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If only I could afford one it would already be in place!

This is my first trip using the Premium ABRP linked via EVNotify to the car, ”that’s” actually been very good and accurate. But of course the myriad ways of paying for the charging is beyond their control, that’s a major stumbling block IMO.
This all sounds very clever, linking the app to your car? Is it also quite complicated to do? I am due to be driving my Knoa down to Provence in two weeks time and I am now just begging to sweat a bit from reading different things. Worried I won't have enough cards/apps and won't be able to get them in time if I need things posted. Any tips are welcome. If anyone knows of externals sites that they have found really useful planning then again, I'm all ears!!

21 - 40 of 87 Posts