Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new here and am currently with onto but am thinking about switching to a MG VS EV with Elmo. I'm presently in a 2020 Kona which is a nice car but too expensive for me longer term. I also need something bigger and was thinking of perhaps buying a used MG EV later this year - so would be a great chance to try one out. I'm just slightly put off by elmo's 'admin fee' of £95. I've seen that they have had offers in the past but does anyone know of anything currently - and are they strict in enforcing this joining fee? I'm only really looking to have the car 2 or 3 months otherwise it would be too much of an issue.

On the plus side I think they have a referral code system similar to that of onto? Can anyone with Elmo confirm?! It also appears to be free delivery with Elmo to my postcode which is a plus, £50 with onto. Although they only seem to have the lower trim level 'excite' available i might still go for it on a rolling contract.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Hello All,

I'm new here and am currently with onto but am thinking about switching to a MG VS EV with Elmo. I'm presently in a 2020 Kona which is a nice car but too expensive for me longer term. I also need something bigger and was thinking of perhaps buying a used MG EV later this year - so would be a great chance to try one out. I'm just slightly put off by elmo's 'admin fee' of £95. I've seen that they have had offers in the past but does anyone know of anything currently - and are they strict in enforcing this joining fee? I'm only really looking to have the car 2 or 3 months otherwise it would be too much of an issue.

On the plus side I think they have a referral code system similar to that of onto? Can anyone with Elmo confirm?! It also appears to be free delivery with Elmo to my postcode which is a plus, £50 with onto. Although they only seem to have the lower trim level 'excite' available i might still go for it on a rolling contract.

Thanks for any help...
Morning,

I can confirm about the referral scheme, if you join you can use mine: ISB2GG for mutual £50 off.
right now I think there’s no promo for the MG ZS EV apart from referrals I’m afraid.
I’ve been with them since November when they started offering the Zoe ze50 (I got their very first one), but I haven’t used a/their MG so can’t help you with that.

Any other questions, don’t hesitate I’m sure someone will be able to help :)

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
177 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks for any help...
Just to add to @alegar 's post, initially when I was thinking of going with Elmo towards the end of the last year, I very cheekily asked for a discount on the Admin Fee and they actually gave one to me. Didn't end up going with them at that time, but did later, and used a different code instead. So always worth an ask, the worst they can say is no.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Onto now offering the key should hopefully cause Elmo to react and think about what else they can do now to create a new USP.
Elmo includes EU Driving without additional cost, you just have to let them know. Can't think of anything else at the moment that makes them stand out, but I hope they can think of something!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,744 Posts
Oh heck - I just remembered they have a UDP (uniquely discouraging point) in that they do that creepy thing by telling you how long you’ve spent driving like a normal person, going with the flow of traffic, at 1 or, heaven forbid, maybe even 2 miles over the speed limit, and incentivising people to drive everywhere obsessing over their speed instead of paying most attention on what’s happening around them rather than the number on the dash board!:ROFLMAO: Sorry to say but that is a big turn off for me, and hopefully they rethink that aspect.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Oh heck - I just remembered they have a UDP (uniquely discouraging point) in that they do that creepy thing by telling you how long you’ve spent driving like a normal person, going with the flow of traffic, at 1 or, heaven forbid, maybe even 2 miles over the speed limit, and incentivising people to drive everywhere obsessing over their speed instead of paying most attention on what’s happening around them rather than the number on the dash board!:ROFLMAO: Sorry to say but that is a big turn off for me, and hopefully they rethink that aspect.
They sent once that email saying who was best and never any more (after some of us sent them bad feedback 😂).
I don’t have a look at it at all tbh. It’s just in their website which you don’t need at all

·
2,744 Posts
They sent once that email saying who was best and never any more (after some of us sent them bad feedback 😂).
I don’t have a look at it at all tbh. It’s just in their website which you don’t need at all
Oh ok that’s good that they’ve stopped posting on Facebook about who’s the "best" driver... and wasn’t there something even weirder about lockdown too where they basically claimed Elmo subscribers were the best people because based on their creepy data analysis they reckoned everyone was staying at home...except they obviously didn’t factor in that people could very easily have cycled down to their mate’s two streets down for an illicit gathering! :LOL: (Oh and driving to work, go and exercise, or just for the hell of it was never actually forbidden in the initial lockdown anyway!)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh ok that’s good that they’ve stopped posting on Facebook about who’s the "best" driver... and wasn’t there something even weirder about lockdown too where they basically claimed Elmo subscribers were the best people because based on their creepy data analysis they reckoned everyone was staying at home...except they obviously didn’t factor in that people could very easily have cycled down to their mate’s two streets down for an illicit gathering! :LOL:
I find the Driving Data slightly interesting, but it's sort of useless. You can't see where it thinks you drove too fast, or took a corner too fast, so the data is meaningless. Plus it's a little weird, I had to decelerate very quickly (and safely) from 70mph when my tyre blew out, so I assume this goes against my driving score.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I find the Driving Data slightly interesting, but it's sort of useless. You can't see where it thinks you drove too fast, or took a corner too fast, so the data is meaningless. Plus it's a little weird, I had to decelerate very quickly (and safely) from 70mph when my tyre blew out, so I assume this goes against my driving score.
I have many many minutes above speed limit (dont even know where that many but hey...) and a couple of harsh decelerations (pedestrians coming from nowhere etc) and my score is around 94-95% anyways I think. I just use it to compare my mileage, estimated carbon footprint and petrol cost of ICE. Its a good idea, which could lead to many things as you are suggesting.

Ideally they would have a similar thing to Tronity, but in the meantime that's what they offer, an extra at the end of the day.

·
2,744 Posts
Yeah, it’s potentially a slippery slope from going to publicly praising people for driving "safely" to penalising people who are judged (using flawed measures) not to have driven "safely enough". God forbid they ever publicly shame people!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
Free EU driving with Elmo, but free EU charging with Onto!

So do consider what you would have to spend on charging. I think a couple of stops at Ionity in the Aires, and you’d sharp make your money back on Onto’s EU fee!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Free EU driving with Elmo, but free EU charging with Onto!

So do consider what you would have to spend on charging. I think a couple of stops at Ionity in the Aires, and you’d sharp make your money back on Onto’s EU fee!
I understand a similar thing is being looked at by Elmo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Yeah I’ve been pushing for that since Onto’s announcement. They better come up with something as good or no one is going to come to them.

·
2,744 Posts
The Shell card really can be a big advantage, depending on what chargers there are around where you tend to drive, and especially if you have a car with >50kW charging.

Since I got my Shell card with Onto I’ve racked up quite a hefty bill. It’s not necessarily a direct saving, as I almost certainly wouldn’t have used Ionity as much as I have done were it not for the card, but having the ability to do so at no penalty is a big advantage is in itself because they are right on the motorway with open toilets etc (hard to come by in Covid times!), and it means I’ve been able to maximise charging potential vs 50kW alternatives.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess if you only need a car for 3 months it's a good option ? However I suspect a traditional hire company would be cheaper for this.

In terms of leasing this seems to be an expensive option Vs traditional leasing. Leasing is significantly more expensive than buying a used EV that is 4 or 5 years old. Assuming you don't mind an older car, the mileage is adequate and you are going to keep it for two or three years.

So from what I can see it seems like an expensive way to use a car or I am missing something ?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
That would be interesting.

If they do so, and with Onto adding a key, the two services are much more closely aligned. Onto as the 'all inclusive' option, and Elmo as the 'build your own package' option.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
I do wonder what the commercial agreement is between Onto and Shell. They can't be paying retail rates, surely? I've 'spent' over £110 this month, which can't be sustainable if they're paying full whack.

Sorry - taking this slightly off topic for Elmo! but I suppose relevant if they're looking at inclusive charging.

Reactions: booms and Bill N

·
2,744 Posts
Yeah I’ve wondered that too - I almost feel bad sometimes for using Ionity and causing 'the bill' to increase more quickly....in case it somehow leads to them having to review the offer. Maybe it’s a case of we should just make hay whilst the sun shines! It won’t be long before we’re all paying road user fees, and maybe EV home charging is somehow taxed - so I guess just enjoy whilst it lasts!

·
Registered
177 Posts
That would be interesting.

If they do so, and with Onto adding a key, the two services are much more closely aligned. Onto as the 'all inclusive' option, and Elmo as the 'build your own package' option.
I do like Elmo's build your own package. I think the BP Pulse charging for £10 is insanely good value and honestly I have zero reason to spend money on a) installing my own charger and b) using my own electricity, aside from the convenience part as I would be way over £10 per month.

I wonder if the potential Shell addition now runs up their list of priorities!

At the moment I'm ok with just BP Pulse, but as I start to drive more I suspect I'll need more choice. If I need to pay for even one or two Shell Network charges a month it becomes more expensive for me and Onto look would look more appealing again.

241 - 260 of 291 Posts