Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
177 Posts
I do wonder what the commercial agreement is between Onto and Shell. They can't be paying retail rates, surely? I've 'spent' over £110 this month, which can't be sustainable if they're paying full whack.

Sorry - taking this slightly off topic for Elmo! but I suppose relevant if they're looking at inclusive charging.
I wonder if it's an initial loss-leader thing. If BP Pulse/Shell (etc) are getting loads of use, then they get to boast they are the "biggest charging network" by number of uses. Maybe. Or maybe they're hoping people buy their own cars eventually and then use their network as exclusively as possible if the customers see they are good.

I also would like to know the agreements though, you do wonder how sustainable it is really. Perhaps the cost is something that may change in the future - for both Onto and Elmo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies and @alegar for the referral code. I will speak with Elmo and see if there is anything they offer me, always worth asking especially as they seem to be losing one of their key advantages over onto. 😂

I'm presuming Elmo's strange data gathering of driving stats has no implications in terms of incentives or otherwise?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm presuming Elmo's strange data gathering of driving stats has no implications in terms of incentives or otherwise?
According to their terms if your score goes below 80% they have the right to terminate your membership, though I assume you'd get warning first and I guess that's in extreme cases. Mine's never been lower than 95%, even with these odd erroneous readings about speed etc.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
I do like Elmo's build your own package. I think the BP Pulse charging for £10 is insanely good value and honestly I have zero reason to spend money on a) installing my own charger and b) using my own electricity, aside from the convenience part as I would be way over £10 per month.

I wonder if the potential Shell addition now runs up their list of priorities!

At the moment I'm ok with just BP Pulse, but as I start to drive more I suspect I'll need more choice. If I need to pay for even one or two Shell Network charges a month it becomes more expensive for me and Onto look would look more appealing again.
In my entire area there's barely any BP's. I had it with Onto before and I think I only used it a couple of times tbh.

Now with Shell I agree, it's a much better value. I don't have a home charger but I do charger at work (for free; for now), but when doing day trips or longer holidays it's definitely much better than just BP without a doubt (not having to mess around with certain more expensive charging solutions etc).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Found it:

How much does it cost?
For just £38pm (on a 12-month subscription) or £76pm (on a 6-month subscription), you can rent an Ohme charge point from us. We will also take a £125 fee to cover the installation.
You can get a Pod Point tethered charger installed for £499 with the grant and you own it.

Why would you spend £581 (Inc install fee) to rent a charger for 12 months ? Makes no sense at all.

Also you can get an OHME charger for £199 when you switch to Octopus energy .

It's basically just a granny charger you get with most Ev anyway so I find that completely pointless as well. All this is the £199 OHme charger hardwired in basically .

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can get a Pod Point tethered charger installed for £499 with the grant and you own it.

Why would you spend £581 (Inc install fee) to rent a charger for 12 months ? Makes no sense at all.

Also you can get an OHME charger for £199 when you switch to Octopus energy .

It's basically just a granny charger you get with most Ev anyway so I find that completely pointless as well. All this is the £199 OHme charger hardwired in basically .
From here: FAQs | elmo

"If you choose a contract length of 6 months or more, you can choose to include an Ohme smart home charger and installation in your subscription. This is a rental agreement of fixed length, at the end of which we may gift you the charge point."

I'm think that it's a normal 7.2kW unit but might be wrong...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

It's great to see everyone interacting, giving feedback, and asking questions! The feedback you guys have given has been great, and we have been taking it all on board so that we can continue to give you the best experience possible.

Anyways, I just wanted to reach out and say that from now on I'll be available at all times to answer questions, take feedback, address concerns and help in any way I can.

You can also reach me at [email protected]

Thank you, guys!

Lucas

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Hi all,

It's great to see everyone interacting, giving feedback, and asking questions! The feedback you guys have given has been great, and we have been taking it all on board so that we can continue to give you the best experience possible.

Anyways, I just wanted to reach out and say that from now on I'll be available at all times to answer questions, take feedback, address concerns and help in any way I can.

You can also reach me at [email protected]

Thank you, guys!

Lucas
hi Lucas and welcome here

Now that your main competitors are going to be giving physical keys with their cars, your main USP is disappearing against them.
Will you be giving a charging solutions as inclusive and ample as theirs? BP is clearly nowhere near theirs, which includes all Europe with even Ionity included without any extra costs.

also, can you tell us more about your fleet size, planning for expansion and future models please?

Thanks and keep up the good work

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi Lucas and welcome here

Now that your main competitors are going to be giving physical keys with their cars, your main USP is disappearing against them.
Will you be giving a charging solutions as inclusive and ample as theirs? BP is clearly nowhere near theirs, which includes all Europe with even Ionity included without any extra costs.

also, can you tell us more about your fleet size, planning for expansion and future models please?

Thanks and keep up the good work
Yea, we do realize that with Onto's latest announcement they are definitely putting pressure on us.

Although we don't have an announcement for you yet, we are looking at what options are out there and what makes sense. We want to expand our charging offering to make sure we stay competitive, and it is a top priority of ours. Shell Recharge is definitely an option we are looking into. I will make sure to keep you guys updated on what we intend to do.

In terms of fleet size, we are hoping a lot will change after we have completed our funding round. We have an idea of which cars we would love to see in our fleet i.e FIAT 500, Kona etc. I hope you can understand I can't spill too many beans just yet!

Since January we have been putting the work in behind the scenes so that we can hopefully razzle and dazzle you guys very very soon.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,744 Posts
@[email protected] My suggestion would be to aim for cars that Onto don’t offer - so, for example, not the Kona. That way you probably stand a better chance at tempting some of us Onto customers over to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
@[email protected] My suggestion would be to aim for cars that Onto don’t offer - so, for example, not the Kona. That way you probably stand a better chance at tempting some of us Onto customers over to you.
Yeah I 100% agree on that one. 500e it’s a good example, also ID3, Enyaq, mg5 maybe, don’t know if corsa not to go to the 208 etc

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yea, we do realize that with Onto's latest announcement they are definitely putting pressure on us.

Although we don't have an announcement for you yet, we are looking at what options are out there and what makes sense. We want to expand our charging offering to make sure we stay competitive, and it is a top priority of ours. Shell Recharge is definitely an option we are looking into. I will make sure to keep you guys updated on what we intend to do.

In terms of fleet size, we are hoping a lot will change after we have completed our funding round. We have an idea of which cars we would love to see in our fleet i.e FIAT 500, Kona etc. I hope you can understand I can't spill too many beans just yet!

Since January we have been putting the work in behind the scenes so that we can hopefully razzle and dazzle you guys very very soon.
Hi Lucas,

In a similar vein to Onto, do you think that a customer focus group might be an idea? I'm not sure how many subscribers you have, but Onto bouncing ideas off their subscribers seems to do quite well. I assume their focus group have been asking for keys for quite some time now so this may be one of the places this idea came from. They do it under an NDA I think so it's much less likely that their ideas are leaked.

I think the website could do with an update maybe, Elmo may be able to make themselves stand out by showing what's offered and clarifying some points. For example, one of the posts earlier today was about the Home Charger that Elmo offer, and it doesn't actually say what type of charger it is (I assume 7kW as it says it can charge at 25mph), but the lack of clarity could put someone off if they don't understand what 25mph charging is. Using a real world example (Zoe fully charged in less than 8 hours (if it IS 7.2kW)) is practically idiot proof!

I think the Karshare option that you offer is quite cool and a nice bit of unique-ness, but I think that's a niche thing for car subscriptions as it could end up costing a fortune in over-mileage if you're not careful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Bill,

Yes, that's great feedback and we will 100% look into what models we can offer that Onto don't.

Thank you @alegar for the suggestions. I've forwarded this on to the team and we will see what we can do!

·
2,744 Posts
Bit of a hint here about which cars people want to see (or at least say they want to see before knowing the prices)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Lucas,

In a similar vein to Onto, do you think that a customer focus group might be an idea? I'm not sure how many subscribers you have, but Onto bouncing ideas off their subscribers seems to do quite well. I assume their focus group have been asking for keys for quite some time now so this may be one of the places this idea came from. They do it under an NDA I think so it's much less likely that their ideas are leaked.

I think the website could do with an update maybe, Elmo may be able to make themselves stand out by showing what's offered and clarifying some points. For example, one of the posts earlier today was about the Home Charger that Elmo offer, and it doesn't actually say what type of charger it is (I assume 7kW as it says it can charge at 25mph), but the lack of clarity could put someone off if they don't understand what 25mph charging is. Using a real world example (Zoe fully charged in less than 8 hours (if it IS 7.2kW)) is practically idiot proof!

I think the Karshare option that you offer is quite cool and a nice bit of unique-ness, but I think that's a niche thing for car subscriptions as it could end up costing a fortune in over-mileage if you're not careful.
A focus group is something we would love to do, but at the moment I don't think we have the resources to do it. We do like the idea of bouncing ideas off of users, potential customers, and those who may have not even considered an EV before.

Thank you for the feedback on the website. I'll be sure to update those bits of information in the coming days to make it clearer. To answer the question, the Ohmee Intelligent Wallcharger charges at up to 7.4kW. More information can be found through our partners at Smart Home charge here: Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger | Smart Home Charge

I understand the concern with Karshare and I will also raise this and see what options we have.

If there are any more points on the website, which are unclear, please let me know and I will make sure to fix this.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
Great to see a company representative on here @[email protected]

I liked the look of Elmo, particularly having a key, but I was put off by the delivery charge & admin fee. Not that they're 'unreasonable', but they certainly look hefty compared with Onto - particularly for someone up here in Newcastle.

You seem to be offering more of a modular 'build your own package' approach, and I can certainly see myself using that.

Both services - Onto and Elmo - have left me scratching my head a bit about what's included. Maybe because they're both young and policies are evolving. Precise details on mileage rollover, granny cable (which seems to be free on request or chargeable, depending on who you ask), EU driving, the Karshare. All involved a bit of guesswork and forum sleuthing.

Reactions: ajtaylor

·
2,744 Posts
Main thing that put me off Elmo was lack of appealing car choice, and then Onto got the Kona just as I was deciding what to do.

I’m also put off by the driving data gathering / analysis side of things. Not that I drive like a lunatic, and not that I don’t expect Onto do similar behind the scenes, but Elmo’s approach just comes across as being a bit more big brother and a bit more, potentially, abrasive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great to see a company representative on here @[email protected]

I liked the look of Elmo, particularly having a key, but I was put off by the delivery charge & admin fee. Not that they're 'unreasonable', but they certainly look hefty compared with Onto - particularly for someone up here in Newcastle.

You seem to be offering more of a modular 'build your own package' approach, and I can certainly see myself using that.

Both services - Onto and Elmo - have left me scratching my head a bit about what's included. Maybe because they're both young and policies are evolving. Precise details on mileage rollover, granny cable (which seems to be free on request or chargeable, depending on who you ask), EU driving, the Karshare. All involved a bit of guesswork and forum sleuthing.
Hi Rich,

Yea I can definitely understand your hesitations. As you said, we are still evolving and trialing what works and what doesn't, so nothing is totally set in stone yet. Our ultimate goal is to be approachable, flexible, and affordable, which are all things we are working towards.

Although I might not have all the answers yet I will definitely take on board your feedback and report back. I'm also more than happy to help with any questions you may have.

There are exciting times ahead, so we are incredibly grateful for the feedback so that we can improve our product and service.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts