Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Those stickers appeared yesterday in East Lothian:cry: 9F1ED79B-D603-4B96-B1F4-1E52C6ECB103.jpeg F7C55F1B-7080-441B-A13D-1F875FEDADD9.jpeg

Reactions: MetalHead

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's also interesting is our old ABB rapid charger has been removed with two new evolt rapids in it's place :) They only have an AC socket. Not great for Zoe owners but good news for all the blooming PHEVs that sat on the rapid when there are 9 destination chargers within 100 meters, as the crow flies. Lastly, 22kw is considered destination.

IMG_3144.JPG

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha PHEV turned up to charge at the new rapid, no AC now to plug into. Very amusing to watch, lol. Go use one of the 9 destination chargers 7 of which are available!

Reactions: Savvy

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
Much as there was a backlash when Electric Highway stopped being free it's going to mean all the other rapid networks will be moving in. So charging will likely expand rapidly over the next year or so and PHEVs tend to not use points that cost them money.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shortly I’ll get a chance to see if the park and rides and local train stations destination chargers have the same charging cost label. If so then that pretty much makes them unusable If you can only use them for 4 hours between 8:30 - 5:30 not being destinations as such...

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
Costs are market rate I guess? However, those signs are pretty good IMO and could be a good template for other councils.

I think the 4 hours on destination during day is probably a fair balance, but agree doesn't work for Park and Ride.

We do want PHEVs to destination charge and reduce local emissions. 16p/kWh is cheaper than petrol, but more expensive than home so avoids freeloaders.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I would rather pay for something that works than get a free charge from something that rarely works. That was my experience last summer of Charge Place Scotland rapids. Ended up seeking out some Polars for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The middle one in particular seems pretty good to me.
Overnight free parking with electricity pretty much at cost price.

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would rather pay for something that works than get a free charge from something that rarely works. That was my experience last summer of Charge Place Scotland rapids. Ended up seeking out some Polars for peace of mind.
Yup, totally agree. Don't mind the charge but hopefully the reliability and availability of the network will improve.

When every single charger in a town goes down for a week or when their authentication system goes for a burton so impossible to start any charger never mind PHEV blocking of rapids, general ICEing and taxi hogging.

And yes hopefully more providers will enter/expand in Scotland.

I'd like to take my car further afield i.e. beyond the distance of familiar rapids which at the moment is pretty much guaranteed to leave me stranded.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
:cry: Those stickers appeared yesterday in East Lothian:cry: View attachment 127470 View attachment 127471
30p/kWH for a rapid charger is actually reasonable compared to other networks like Instavolt (35p) Ecotricity (39p) and lets not mention Ionity at 69p.... :LOL: Other parts of Scotland which have already charged for a while are between 25-30p/kWh, so this is in line with those prices.

16p/kWh for destination charging is also very reasonable when you factor in the installation and maintenance costs - charging at home costs me around 12.6p/kWh so unless they get their electricity at a very good wholesale rate they are applying a razor thin margin for an all-day price.

If charging a reasonable price is what it takes for them to have the money to properly repair and maintain the chargers (instead of letting broken ones languish for weeks or months as they do now) and also keeps the cheapskates away who are only there hogging the charger "because its free" not because they really need to charge, I'm all for it.

It's actually quite a long time since I last used a free Chargeplace Scotland charger, despite having the RFID card. Partly due to them not always being where I need them, but also because they're often single units, out of order, or have a cheapskate on there charging their Leaf to 98% despite probably having home charging as well.

I've used Instavolt for rapid charging almost exclusively for nearly a year now, despite being 35p/kWh - they're usually in pairs and extremely reliable. While I HAVE come across a unit out of order twice now (the same unit) the other unit of the pair was always working and available, and when I phoned in the fault in both cases it was fixed within a couple of days. Quite a difference to council owned CPS units that can be out of order or unreliable for months despite being the only unit available in the nearby area...

There are parts of Scotland that are currently off limits for short range EV's (Leaf 24/Ion) due to the one charger neccessary to make the trip through that area being out of order or very unreliable for months. This needs to change.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your planning a visit to Edinburgh better bring a mobile generator with you !
Pathetic is to high a compliment
Look like Tayside are moving forward.
Totally agree with DBMandrakes comments above.
I live in a small block of flats so not ideal for charging an EV
However we do have 3 phase power and private parking not all doom

Scrap all free charging and pay the going rate ,let the market move forward and encourage the private sector.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With Edinburgh's investment in Park & Rides, buses and the trams they really could not give a stuff about EVs. There are a few sporadic rapids but with daily gridlock it's pretty impossible to get to them unless you work close by. Almost no destination chargers within the city bar colleges, universities and public sector buildings which are not normally accessible. It really is a disgrace for the capital city.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
With Edinburgh's investment in Park & Rides, buses and the trams they really could not give a stuff about EVs. There are a few sporadic rapids but with daily gridlock it's pretty impossible to get to them unless you work close by. Almost no destination chargers within the city bar colleges, universities and public sector buildings which are not normally accessible. It really is a disgrace for the capital city.
Glasgow is not much better. I live in Motherwell and work in Glasgow, in the city proper I think there are two rapid chargers - one at a Nissan dealer (not open to the general public, only Leaf customers) and one several stories up inside a multi-story car park, where you have to pay parking for the pleasure of using a rapid charger. Also not in a part of the city you could get to on the way home in rush hour traffic without a huge diversion through queues of traffic.

Luckily for me there is an instavolt out of the city about 10 miles from home that I can use on the way home if I need to, as there is basically nothing usable for me in the City.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Seems okay and the 45 minutes max for the rapid means no slow pokes charging for 2 hours because their rapid/coldgated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts