Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
was it the blue one in that article that passed you, or this (slightly faster off the mark) orange one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
Just joined Speak EV today (12/03/17) - still have one of these Enfield 8000s and having seen what Jonny Smith has done with the powertrain in his "Flux Capacitor", it has reawakened interest in updating this unique (at the time) car. ( P.S. Anyone know of any cheap Lion traction batteries?).

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Hi all,
Just joined Speak EV today (12/03/17) - still have one of these Enfield 8000s and having seen what Jonny Smith has done with the powertrain in his "Flux Capacitor", it has reawakened interest in updating this unique (at the time) car. ( P.S. Anyone know of any cheap Lion traction batteries?).
Calling @Grumpy-b and @Mike Schooling

·
Registered
572 Posts
Great stuff Howard. Any pics? Where are the batts in the 8000?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We have stock of Sinopoly LiFePO4 and new and used leaf Modules.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great stuff Howard. Any pics? Where are the batts in the 8000?
Hi James,

This one had 6 x 6V lead/acid traction batteries at the front and six at the back - no space in boot for spare wheel - it had to go behind the two seats. There was also a 12V battery in a well under the small platform behind the seats. This provided power for the control contactors and things such as lights, windscreen wipers, etc. There is an electrically heated windscreen (12V) but the cabin heater is a 110V hairdryer working off the traction batteries. This always gave the dilemma of being able to return home or being warm! One big problem that I found was that as the auxiliary 12V battery ran out, the default mode for traction was full speed in reverse - scary. There are other photos but I have to find them. The car has been under wraps for 25 years - will get round to it when I have completed the other car projects (2 x TR6, 1 x Spitfire) - I really need to retire!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
They are approximately 70mm thick by 182mm wide by 320mm high.
Individual Prismatic block, two m8 connections, 3.3v nominal.
As to chargers, I use a lot of Zivan NG3, but they are not waterproof being IP25 ie you can sneeze on them ,so they really need to be housed inside the vehicle. Others are fully sealed but much more costly. Just depends on the pack voltage you are looking to run. I do have some used chargers, but the voltage range of the NG3 is limited by the way they are built, so you cant run a charger made for 140v down to 100v
One of my customers is rebuilding a 8000 and he is now using a used HPEVS AC31 motor with a Curtis 1238 6501.
He has built it to directly drive via a short drive shaft to the rear axle (V low geared) .
With the dreaded rust, he has re built/ fabricated a huge amount of the chassis and suspension. A work of extreme dedication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts