Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think destination chargers are ridiculous for BEVs, and merely divert good money for en route rapids into this nonsense.
Destination chargers at hotels are great, if you can save an hour in the day by charging overnight at a hotel then I would gladly pay for this.
Some hotels offer free charging, for example we booked one of our overnight stops when travelling through France at Ibis budget in Troyes because it was in a convenient location and had a type2 socket, when equiring about using it they said it was free to use for guests which was great but the real bonus was that it saved us time, charged the battery at a slow rate than a rapid and meant we started the next day with a full battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The extra sales profit probably covers the electricity.

That's not the issue I am thinking of. I can't see how they can justify a multi-£10k hardware investment, plus maintenance, on the back of an extra dozen or so customers a week.
If they partner with people like Instavolt then the store actually get paid to host the charger as well as no capital cost for the hardware. I don't know whether or not it's just a peppercorn rent, but it gives the store the pull of having a charging facility (albeit not a free one).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to be a supermarket manager.

We had all sorts of people using our car park & using the pub over the road. Or using our toilets, etc.

We don't care. We, well the "proper" supermarkets anyway, have put effort over decades building up our brands and we are parts of our local communities.

As long as other customers aren't inconvenienced, we can cope with a few "freeloaders". If they're not buying from us then, no doubt, someone in their family is.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When store managers realise that these free chargers are being 'abused' - trust me this has been occurring since the days of Ecotricity free vend - then I suspect two things could happen. The chargers will move from free vend to a cost/ per charge - as happened in my local Waitrose store a couple of years ago, or time on the charger will be policed.
Both of those options are more hassle for the supermarket, and I don't think either will be great value for them. They might instead just decide not to maintain the posts or to switch off the electric supply.

Caveat to that: it may depend on what hardware was installed and how. Aldi in South Ruislip has basic posts that would need replacing if they wanted to charge for the use, and I can't see them hiring someone to police the car park (they certainly never tried to discourage icing of the charging posts). earby shopping centre on the other hand has pod-point posts that already require confirming the charge on the app, so for those it would be easy to switch them to require payment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing how much some of these large chains pay per kWh. If you have hundreds of stores and are using multiple MWh per year I would hope that gets you a decent rate.
All the supermarkets are too large to get standard rates, the buy wholesale like the energy companies.

Their price is determined by the "triad" price, which is calculated from peak demand - look it up on wiki for an explanation.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Caveat to that: it may depend on what hardware was installed and how. Aldi in South Ruislip has basic posts that would need replacing if they wanted to charge for the use, and I can't see them hiring someone to police the car park (they certainly never tried to discourage icing of the charging posts). earby shopping centre on the other hand has pod-point posts that already require confirming the charge on the app, so for those it would be easy to switch them to require payment.
My local Sainsburys which sits on the outskirts of a City, but only has a relatively small car park, has sensors fitted into the tarmac of each bay along with a camera to record cars entering the car park. Similarly, M and S at Ellesmere Port has cameras recording the number plates of cars entering and leaving the car park, as does Shrewsbury’s hospital. Policing and the raising of fines doesn’t need any human intervention.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Speaking of personal observation I would argue that (as in everything else) there are users that self apply some extend of fair usage while others just abuse the system.
Frequently I see taxi drivers charging their cars at free stations while charging costumers full rate.
When I went down to England I was astonished seeing 4 taxi drivers packing up at Lidl for a free charge while I had to drive away (not buying anything because didn't had the chance).
In Scotland this is even more ridiculous. There was a charging station by a taxi office that is turned off when there is nobody there and they will only turn it on when needed while the drivers charge the taxis at public stations.

I've always defended that the charging network is wrong and should be designed to favour residential areas with 7 or 11kw stations and fewer rapid chargers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My local Sainsburys which sits on the outskirts of a City, but only has a relatively small car park, has sensors fitted into the tarmac of each bay along with a camera to record cars entering the car park. Similarly, M and S at Ellesmere Port has cameras recording the number plates of cars entering and leaving the car park, as does Shrewsbury’s hospital. Policing and the raising of fines doesn’t need any human intervention.
But policing individual bays does - or it needs a lot more investment in the tech.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My take:-
Short Stay car parks should be a minimum of 7kW to 22kW.
Long Stay car parks should be 3kW only (but lots of them)
Quick/Rapid should be on motorways and on every petrol station UK wide. (and more than one per station).

All short stay should be chargeable at a rate set by the government with an easy payment system.
All long stay charging should be free, financed by sticking a few pence per gallon on petrol&diesel.

There are 2 types of 'private' car parks. The ones that are privately owned, open to the general public either free or otherwise and then truly private intended for staff and visitors only.

Any car park that fits in to the category of 'open to the public' needs to adhere to govenment rules, and any 'private' car park, need not (this could mean your drive).

Then everyone knows where they stand, its universal and shrined in to law.

That's my take on it. YMMV of course!

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
Some supermarkets around here have 3 hours free parking with no obligation tied to it, and the idea is they just want to entice people there if possible. I'd see it the same way with free charging. It's in the hope that you'll at least go inside and have a look at what they're selling (and preferably buy something, but no obligation) - companies do this, it's sort of like a form of advertising, it's an expense they factor into the cost of business.

Would I outright abuse it? No. Generally I'd at least go inside and have a look, because why not, it beats sitting in the car twiddling your thumbs. Exception: I used a free Lidl 22kW the other weekend. I didn't go in because I had a disabled friend with me and it wasn't worth it to us for the hassle of transferring into chair and back etc, nor would I leave him sat there in the car while I swan off into the shop. But I'm grateful for their free charge and will certainly have it in mind next time I'm passing one ;)

If it's a small family business like an independent hotel or something then that's quite different as they probably can't as easily support freeloaders provide charging as just a perk for visiting, and will tend to have on the description that you're expected to at least buy a coffee.

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
All long stay charging should be free, financed by sticking a few pence per gallon on petrol&diesel.
Not going to happen with the Wreckers currently in power. New Transport Secretary says he intends to end the EV grant system.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
My local Sainsburys which sits on the outskirts of a City, but only has a relatively small car park, has sensors fitted into the tarmac of each bay along with a camera to record cars entering the car park.
Was the ANPR camera installed after the sensors? When they completely revamped both levels of the car park at my local Sainsbury's, they removed the sensors as they were no longer used after the camera was installed.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Was the ANPR camera installed after the sensors? When they completely revamped both levels of the car park at my local Sainsbury's, they removed the sensors as they were no longer used after the camera was installed.
No idea, but the signs for both are still there (possibly for their deterrent value).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hotels, yes. Seems completely logical to have them where you can charge while asleep just as most people do at home. It should be entirely up to the individual establishment or hotel chain whether to charge for the electricity although providing it free at 3 or 7kW should be completely reasonable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another conundrum is how often is it reasonable to get a free charge at you local Nissan dealer? Once a week too often?
I used to charge once every couple of months when I forgot to plug in at night. The dealership has always been very welcoming and I asked what they thought. Come as often as you want they said.

:)(y)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
18 Participants
EdH
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing