Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

4201 - 4220 of 4479 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine is saying service due in 3 months or 7000 miles. It was registered in the start of January 2019.
I suppose the plan would be to exchange it for another so evezy can get it serviced but if they don't have spare cars and your model 3 is not ready then you might have to take it in but how's that going to work? You can't leave the key with them?
They do have spare cars for this eventuality. Just not ones they can afford to give out to new members as there'd be no contingency for the current users in the event of breakdowns, servicing or other issues.

I know of a handful of Zoes as well as 94Ah i3's that they keep behind for emergency use. If all else fails they seem to have an Enterprise rent-a-car account to keep you on the road with an ICE vehicle if absolutely necessary.

As for the key issues. They could probably arrange to send the key to the dealer by special delivery ahead of you taking the car to your local branch so they can work on it. All they would have to do is provide a prepaid jiffy bag for the dealer to return it at the end of the service. I think I've read about this happening in the past.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As for the key issues. They could probably arrange to send the key to the dealer by special delivery ahead of you taking the car to your local branch so they can work on it. All they would have to do is provide a prepaid jiffy bag for the dealer to return it at the end of the service. I think I've read about this happening in the past.
Yep - Evezy did this when our Zoe went in for body shop repair.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,622 Posts
Mine is saying service due in 3 months or 7000 miles. It was registered in the start of January 2019.
I suppose the plan would be to exchange it for another so evezy can get it serviced but if they don't have spare cars and your model 3 is not ready then you might have to take it in but how's that going to work? You can't leave the key with them?
When I took mine in to resolve a connectivity issue, I had to stay in the waiting room so that I could enable them to start the car with my app. Fortunately it only took 40 minutes. Could do the same with a service if they got on and did it straight away. There’s not much they do, mostly checks. Bet it would take less than an hour.

Otherwise they have to ring evezy every time they want to stop/start the car. Where a job will take several days, evezy can send them the key card in the post.

Edit: Sorry wrote this before reading the previous two posts so some repetition.

·
1,622 Posts
The other issue would be how will the dealership be paid. I’ve asked evezy so will let you know when I find out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
View attachment 124709
Anyone else noticing such a large cold range drop?
Glad it’s not just me. My first EV so I have no frame of reference but I’ve lost a similar amount in recent weeks.

I’ve gone from fully charged showing 190+ range, to maybe around 135? Or less. And not only that but actually driving it now means that my range drops more than 1:1 with actual miles travelled.

i can only assume that it’s the weather and the fact the car has to do more work getting the inside temperature up to whatever you have it set to. Plus it’s dark in the morning and late afternoon - so headlights on too. Every journey I do now when I look at the stats ”auxiliary consumers“ is one star or less.

i honestly wasn’t expecting the cold weather to wipe out over 60 miles range tbh, is meant I have to charge the car twice a week instead of once (no home charging at the moment), which is annoying.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad it’s not just me. My first EV so I have no frame of reference but I’ve lost a similar amount in recent weeks.

I’ve gone from fully charged showing 190+ range, to maybe around 135? Or less. And not only that but actually driving it now means that my range drops more than 1:1 with actual miles travelled.

i can only assume that it’s the weather and the fact the car has to do more work getting the inside temperature up to whatever you have it set to. Plus it’s dark in the morning and late afternoon - so headlights on too. Every journey I do now when I look at the stats ”auxiliary consumers“ is one star or less.

i honestly wasn’t expecting the cold weather to wipe out over 60 miles range tbh, is meant I have to charge the car twice a week instead of once (no home charging at the moment), which is annoying.
It's more than just the extra power use. The cold weather itself affects the battery and its ability to perform as well as it would in warmer temperatures. Things like the rain and snow will also affect the resistance and drag down your efficiency too.

I don't think the i3's that Evezy provide have the heat pumps but rather the old style, inefficient resistive heating elements instead. With that in mind, try to boost your range by keeping it low. Keep the car in eco mode and set the temperature to maybe 20-22 in auto mode. Make use of seat heaters and a coat to keep yourself warm rather than full power to the heaters.

To my memory, the headlights on there are LED so really not a significant power draw. Don't worry about them.

What kind of journeys do you make? 190+ is rather high to see predicted and its even more surprising if you were achieving a range close to this. Even in better weather I'd be expecting to see real world ranges between 125-165 depending on how you drive and where.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Highest I’ve ever actually achieved is 174.7 with 1.5% charge and 1 mile left on display.

I do 40 miles a commuting (20 each way), which is mostly 50mph+ roads, a 1/3 or so can be stop start in towns.

I always drive in ECO PRO during the week, with temperature on 18. Fan speed on 1 and don’t use the seat heaters.

I haven’t changed my driving style in the past few weeks and have lost 60+ miles of display range, maybe more in actual.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yep
We now assume about a third less range in our Zoe for these winter months.

This makes the Model 3 even more appealing than before (better battery heating and longer range in itself) !

·
1,622 Posts
I got my Zoe in February so started with a lower range and then things got better as the temperature increased going towards summer. Another thing I remember is slower charging speeds. Often maximum charging rate would be around 12kW. Thought there was something wrong with the car!

·
Registered
109 Posts
View attachment 124709
Yup, just checked and with my 120Ah I'm down to 70% battery from 100% after 18.6 miles. If I keep this consumption up thats 62 miles from a full charge!

Just short journeys with cabin preconditioning thrown in as well. No problem though, just need to plug in overnight 3 times a week rather than 2.

·
Registered
790 Posts
One of the reasons why so many people are holding out for affordable 300 mile range cars as most models loose a fair chunk of range in the winter.
Imagine what it must be like in Sweden, Norway etc. in a Leaf or i3 etc.

Its the same with solar PV. I was lucky to buy and get it installed in Feb and of course it just gets better for many months in the season, but now its dire at this time of year.
Only did 0.8kWh yesterday compared to high 30's in summer.

Its cyclic and this chart is what I am expecting from most EV's on range... maybe not quite soo dire, but similar waveform.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
800 Posts
My round-trip commute of 23 miles would cause the SOC to drop by 11% in summer. This week it has been dropping by 20% on some days. That's with making no effort to limit consumption in both cases.

Cold air is much denser than warm air (and dry air is denser that humid air) causing increased drag. That's on top of the heating, impacts on battery etc.

·
800 Posts
One of the reasons why so many people are holding out for affordable 300 mile range cars as most models loose a fair chunk of range in the winter.
Yes - did my first long journey in the i3 in winter conditions since getting it in April and it got me looking at longer range options. Having to stop for 30 minutes when it's cold and dark and late is, it has to be said, more unappealing to me than in summer.

According to abetterrouteplanner.com, though, I'd need to get into a LR Model 3 for it to make much difference for that journey (ie not needing to stop at all) - so I'll stick to the i3 and just get used to the unavoidable stop every now and then. Of course, a SR Model 3 would be better than the i3 - just requiring a short pit-stop each way rather than 25-mins, but not eliminating the need to stop in winter I would find disappointing I think given the £200 additional cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Precondition your i3 before starting a journey. 10-15 mind beforehand. Warms up the batteries and gives you longer range on your trip.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Precondition your i3 before starting a journey. 10-15 mind beforehand. Warms up the batteries and gives you longer range on your trip.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately it will only warm the batteries when plugged in and the departure time is set more than 3 hours in to the future. Otherwise its just cabin preconditioning :)

·
800 Posts
On the subject of weather - I just found this website which may or may not be of some use for longer journeys.

Looks my trip north tonight will be not too cold, but wet and into a decent headwind.

A LR Model 3 would be handy for times like this!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately it will only warm the batteries when plugged in and the departure time is set more than 3 hours in to the future. Otherwise its just cabin preconditioning :)
Absolutely, you are totally right. I knew of that when I started with the car, yet somehow I forgot, now though that Winter is near, it's really good to know.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wait what? My charger is getting installed on Monday (I hope!), what do I need to do to take advantage of that? Just set up the departure time in the car or app? Is that different to manually “Climatising” ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wait what? My charger is getting installed on Monday (I hope!), what do I need to do to take advantage of that? Just set up the departure time in the car or app? Is that different to manually “Climatising” ?
Yes. Bottom button from the home screen of the BMW app. Set a departure timer, and as long as said time is 3+ hours in the future the cabin and battery should be warmed in time for your departure. As far as I know everything is already set up and you don't need to enable any other options to make both heat up.

4201 - 4220 of 4479 Posts