Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

4361 - 4380 of 4479 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Windscreen chips are not a big deal IMO. I had one with my i3 and it was fixed for £40 and all OK'd with Evezy with photo proof of the repair.

I honestly didn't expect punctures to be covered and for the frequency they happen again its not a big deal for me.

The big one is windscreen cracks and replacement. Again a relatively small risk but a large repair bill, this is the only thing that would concern me.

Overall I think Evezy have been more than fair in my experience. I had a scratch on the lower black plastic section caused by a loose piece of tarmac that broke away from the side of the road as drove over it. I took photos and asked them if they wanted me to get a quote for repair but they were very reasonable and said it would fall under acceptable wear and tear and would note it on the cars file.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Windscreen chips are not a big deal IMO. I had one with my i3 and it was fixed for £40 and all OK'd with Evezy with photo proof of the repair.

I honestly didn't expect punctures to be covered and for the frequency they happen again its not a big deal for me.

The big one is windscreen cracks and replacement. Again a relatively small risk but a large repair bill, this is the only thing that would concern me.

Overall I think Evezy have been more than fair in my experience. I had a scratch on the lower black plastic section caused by a loose piece of tarmac that broke away from the side of the road as drove over it. I took photos and asked them if they wanted me to get a quote for repair but they were very reasonable and said it would fall under acceptable wear and tear and would note it on the cars file.
That sounds pretty fair and like you the odds of getting a puncture/ tyre damage are low, although pothole heaven in the UK means the odds are somewhat higher these days. Same with windscreen chip/crack.
However Evezy make a big splash about their offering being ‘All inclusive’ on the main webpage and in the exceptions are actually in conflict with that claim, so some subscribers are ending their time with Evezy.

Evezy need to at least have a * against the all inclusive bit and lower down the page list the key things like £1000 excess, puncture/damage tyres and windscreen not included.

Those things are not that easily found in their FAQ’s so does need to be clearly stated on the web and also in initial signup as many have not clocked this until they have had to payout.

·
Registered
188 Posts
But Insurance4carhire has paid out evezy subscribers who have had their car for more than 31 days.

Also your maximum commitment is one calendar month.
You can hand it back with 7 days notice before your monthly renewal.
You get a new key every month.
Damage is sorted out the month that it occurs, not when you hand the car back.

I believe these are separate monthly hire periods which auto renew unless you cancel.
No different from Europcar which offers 28 day hires at special rates. You take the car back, get a complimentary valet, sort out any damage issues and sign a new agreement. You can keep the same car or change to a different one if available. These excess hire insurances would cover this scenario even if you did this 13 times, effectively keeping the same car for a year. Can’t see the difference between that and what evezy offer.
With Evezy you don't take the car back and you don't sign a new agreement.
So there are a couple of differences

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep, got a quote with Aviva that I’m happy with.

As Evezy is a lease agreement, I’m comfortable agreeing to the following statement about the car:

• Is (or will be) owned and registered by you, your partner(spouse/civil/domestic), a close relativewho lives at the same address or your company. Or the car is on a private or personal lease.
It's not a lease car, it's a hire car that is already covered by fleet insurance though? Lease cars always require insuring as not part of the deal.

You may be right but as I say above that's a lot of money to find out you aren't covered in future if needed?

·
Registered
778 Posts
But Insurance4carhire has paid out evezy subscribers who have had their car for more than 31 days.

Also your maximum commitment is one calendar month.
You can hand it back with 7 days notice before your monthly renewal.
You get a new key every month.
Damage is sorted out the month that it occurs, not when you hand the car back.

I believe these are separate monthly hire periods which auto renew unless you cancel.
No different from Europcar which offers 28 day hires at special rates. You take the car back, get a complimentary valet, sort out any damage issues and sign a new agreement. You can keep the same car or change to a different one if available. These excess hire insurances would cover this scenario even if you did this 13 times, effectively keeping the same car for a year. Can’t see the difference between that and what evezy offer.
Just to confirm as might as well go for it, this is the product being discussed yes?

https://www.insurance4carhire.com/products/europe-car-hire-excess-insurance

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,622 Posts

·
1,622 Posts
I’ve just emailed Zurich and told them what a good service AIG, through Insurance4carhire, have given evezy customers, compared to them. I given them a deadline of tomorrow close of play to pay my claim and confirm coverage for the rest of the term. If they don’t, I’ll be taking out a policy with Insurance4carhire as well, as my subscription renews on the 1st.

·
1,622 Posts
It took Zurich 21 minutes to respond.

Bad news: The £120 they’ve offered to pay is a goodwill gesture.

Good news: They’re going to also give me £100 to compensate for all the inconvenience

They will confirm at a later date if they will continue to cover me for the rest of the policy term.

·
1,622 Posts
A result of sorts.
You should also be able to get your premium back from the broker and maybe a gesture from them.
So what exactly is the relationship between Zurich, iCarhireinsurance, Halo Insurance and Broadspirestpa? I find it all very confusing :unsure:

And why have they ignored multiple requests for recordings of my telephone conversations with them?

·
Registered
790 Posts
So what exactly is the relationship between Zurich, iCarhireinsurance, Halo Insurance and Broadspirestpa? I find it all very confusing :unsure:

And why have they ignored multiple requests for recordings of my telephone conversations with them?
Think you need to get the ombudsman involved regardless of the current offer.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Good questions

Looking at the FCA register

icarhireinsurance is a trading name of Halo which an approved insurance broker.
I presume they outsource their claims handling to Broadspire - part of a large claims management company
Zurich is the insurance company that provides the actual cover.

So Halo will agree a scheme with Zurich that includes the rates and policy wordings. Halo will manage and distribute the product for a commission. I don't know how much commission but it will somewhere between 20 and 50%. Broadspire will have authority to settle claims.
At the end of the underwriting period Zurich will decide whether they are making a sufficient return and then either renew or end the facility.

I can be totally sure they don't intend to cover Evezy.

As an aside, in general only 40% of a premium is allocated to pay the claims. The rest is taken up by other costs.

They will be ignoring the requests in the hope that it all goes away. They should be refunding your money with a bit extra for your trouble.

if you give them a week with a threat to go to the ombudsman after that time then that should focus their mind as that will cost them more than this claim, whether they win or lose.
If you have made a correct subject access request then you can also threaten them with the ICO as well.

All this reminds me why I don't do schemes direct with the end user any more!!

·
1,622 Posts
Good questions

Looking at the FCA register

icarhireinsurance is a trading name of Halo which an approved insurance broker.
I presume they outsource their claims handling to Broadspire - part of a large claims management company
Zurich is the insurance company that provides the actual cover.

So Halo will agree a scheme with Zurich that includes the rates and policy wordings. Halo will manage and distribute the product for a commission. I don't know how much commission but it will somewhere between 20 and 50%. Broadspire will have authority to settle claims.
At the end of the underwriting period Zurich will decide whether they are making a sufficient return and then either renew or end the facility.

As an aside, in general only 40% of a premium is allocated to pay the claims. The rest is taken up by other costs.
Thanks for that clear and understandable explanation!

But what if there’s a “loophole”? Wouldn’t they have to honour any claims even if it wasn’t their intention? Surely that’s the point of terms and conditions, not intentions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
NO MORE IONIQ OR LEAF

On a separate topic, I just called Evezy. I was on the waiting list for an Ioniq since early September. They told me to call 3-4 weeks before I need the car so I called today. They told me that they no longer plan to offer the Ioniq or Leaf . It isn't temporarily out of stock, they are moving away from offering it altogether. So forget about getting one even some months from now. They may have some new models but they can't say for now so in the mean time I have been moved to Zoe wait list.

Expect to see the website updated and possible some emails going out soon.

Apologies if this has been discussed already. It's a long thread....

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,691 Posts
And this is precisely the reason I won’t be buying one of these policies - they might be cheap but don’t intend to support the Evezy model and it’s only a matter of time before they blanketly refuse all Evezy claims.

More expensive, but better for peace of mind, to buy a normal fully comp policy that includes cover for personal / private lease vehicles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tbh I don't think it's a loophole.
It's clear to me this is an agreement that is outside of the terms of the policy if you use it for more than a month (which is all hires as I think it's a minimum of 1 month plus 10 days notice)

So I wouldn't sell the policy to you and I wouldn't pay the claim if you had bought it online.

It's possible a lawyer would disagree.
It's also possible the ombudsmen would disagree as they tend to take a "lay persons view"
But to me it's clear.

However if I had done what they have done in terms of the advice, I'd pay both claims return your premium and add a bit on as an apology.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,691 Posts
Tbh I don't think it's a loophole.
It's clear to me this is an agreement that is outside of the terms of the policy if you use it for more than a month (which is all hires as I think it's a minimum of 1 month plus 10 days notice)

So I wouldn't sell the policy to you and I wouldn't pay the claim if you had bought it online.

It's possible a lawyer would disagree.
It's also possible the ombudsmen would disagree as they tend to take a "lay persons view"
But to me it's clear.

However if I had done what they have done in terms of the advice, I'd pay both claims return your premium and add a bit on as an apology.
Exactly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
And this is precisely the reason I won’t be buying one of these policies - they might be cheap but don’t intend to support the Evezy model and it’s only a matter of time before they blanketly refuse all Evezy claims.

More expensive, but better for peace of mind, to buy a normal fully comp policy that includes cover for personal / private lease vehicles.
That's not a solution as at best they will only pay half the claim and it's more likely they will refuse.
Your only insurable interest in the car is capped at 1k.

You have no liability beyond that so a standard car insurance policy is not suitable.

There is a gap in the market for this- even if we did every single Evezy car when they have a thousand vehicles it's probably not worth the while of a company like mine to source the correct cover (and may not be possible as I wouldn't have enough premium to persuade the insurer)

EvEzy are probably not motivated to source at the moment as they can't get the vehicles out of the door quick enough so why do they need to?
Having a punitive excess certainly focuses the mind of the hirer

I've offered to look at the whole thing for them but they haven't replied.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That's not a solution as at best they will only pay half the claim and it's more likely they will refuse.
Your only insurable interest in the car is capped at 1k.

You have no liability beyond that so a standard car insurance policy is not suitable.
Been trying to make that point since yesterday so thanks for clarifying. It's not a lease car, totally different setup.

4361 - 4380 of 4479 Posts