Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

5181 - 5195 of 5195 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have found it is best to calibrate ABRP with actual real journey data. The default figures for the Zoe ZE40 when compared to real journeys recently seem somewhat pessimistic. In order to model recorded battery usage on a recent journey had to start with 4miles/kWh and a 10 mile/hr tailwind to get correct figures at 10c. The default on both ZE40 & 50 seems to be 3.24 miles/kWh at 65mph.
3.24 m/kwh does seem a bit low but not massively, you won’t get anywhere near 4 at 65mph 10c in a Zoe, 3.5 will be the best

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Sounds like everyone is having my same dilemma.. I have a BMWi3 and Love it but the range is not great. I am on the waiting list for a new Zoe GT as the range is longer, BUUUUttttttt
Will i regret leaving the i3?
I won't, can't wait to get rid of the suicide doors, narrow rear seat opening, annoying screen interface, jittery ride that transmits every pothole (and there's a sh*tload of those round here), small boot.
I'm sure I'll miss the peppy acceleration but that's it.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,035 Posts
Does make you wonder how ABRP and others algorithms are setup. I expect they are just based on manufacturers data, as there can’t be any real world data available yet.
I have found it is best to calibrate ABRP with actual real journey data. The default figures for the Zoe ZE40 when compared to real journeys recently seem somewhat pessimistic. In order to model recorded battery usage on a recent journey had to start with 4miles/kWh and a 10 mile/hr tailwind to get correct figures at 10c. The default on both ZE40 & 50 seems to be 3.24 miles/kWh at 65mph.
I think the basic models for each car are fairly sophisticated, but I think they also build in a 10% ish buffer so each model is by default fairly conservative.

There is some info on it here: How to Add Your Car to ABRP

So this is why I suspect I may be getting an overly pessimistic view of the ZE50 just by comparing the default ABRP results with what I actually experience when driving the i3.

Having said that, there are some consumption and range reports from a few people in the ZE50 specific threads who already have one and it still seems likely based on those reports that the regular 160 mile journey I do (of which about 135 are motorway miles) would probably not be comfortably doable in winter in the ZE50 without charging or reducing speed.

The range calculator of the Renault website would also seem to suggest similar.

For me, being able to definitely make that journey without needing to stop or reduce speed in winter would make the ZE50 very attractive compared to the i3, and combined with the less nervous motorway handling it would make that trip much more relaxing I think.

I think I need to give it some more thought and keep an eye on other reports on real world motorway range as they start to emerge from new owners.

·
Registered
116 Posts
3.24 m/kwh does seem a bit low but not massively, you won’t get anywhere near 4 at 65mph 10c in a Zoe, 3.5 will be the best
In Eco mode, so at around 64mph on the motorway this guy managed to get 16.3 kWh/100km which is about 3.9 miles/kWh

·
1,035 Posts
Doing myself a bit of a pros and cons list for the i3 vs ZE50 (R135 GT Line) so thought I may as well share it here too:

1. Battery capacity & motorway range - i3 - 38kWh (130ish miles in summer and 110 ish miles in winter) vs ZE50 - 52kWh (160ish [?] miles in summer and 135ish [?] miles in winter) - PRO ZE50

2. Cruise control - ZE50 has no ACC - PRO i3 ( this is a big pro of the i3 for me )

3. Performance - i3 - 125 BHP/tonne & around 7s 0-60mph & 5s 50-75mph vs ZE50 - 91 BHP/tonne & around 9.5s 0-60 & 7s 50-75mph - PRO i3 ( may be a fairly significant con of the ZE50 for me )

4. Practicality - ZE50 has normal doors, 5 seats, bigger boot but no 'frunk' - over all PRO ZE50

5. Ride - i3 has jiggly, jarring ride - PRO ZE50 ( would a big pro for me )

6. Handling/most fun to drive - PRO i3

7. 'x-factor' - i3 is marmite, quirky, CFRP, RWD, suicide doors, etc. ZE50 is fairly conventional - PRO i3 (imo)

8. Charge port location - for my circumstances and preferences - PRO i3

9. Equipment - Over the i3, the ZE50 adds: speed limiter, larger portrait touch screen, customisable driver display, Android Auto/Car Play, lane keep assist at motorway speeds, auto high beam, wireless phone charger, 6 speakers, rear USB sockets, front parking sensors, parking camera, blind spot warning. i3 has fairly good voice control. - overall, big PRO ZE50

10. Heated seats - not as standard on ZE50 - PRO i3 ( surely Evezy will spec this option !!?? )

11. Comfort / driving position - ZE50 has no height adjustable seats, more upright driving position - PRO i3

12. Heatpump - not on the Evezy i3 - PRO ZE50

I think I'm more confused now.

EDIT....

Missed off a fairly major category...

Charging speed - i3 has far superior charging curve. ZE50 has 22kW AC. I'm slightly concerned by the Renault website saying it would take 31+ hours to charge from 15% to 100% via 3 pin - is the Zoe's charger really lossy or something? PRO i3 overall

·
Registered
207 Posts
Doing myself a bit of a pros and cons list for the i3 vs ZE50 (R135 GT Line) so thought I may as well share it here too:

1. Battery capacity & motorway range - i3 - 38kWh (130ish miles in summer and 110 ish miles in winter) vs ZE50 - 52kWh (160ish [?] miles in summer and 135ish [?] miles in winter) - PRO ZE50

2. Cruise control - ZE50 has no ACC - CON ZE50 ( this is a big con for me )

3. Performance - i3 - 125 BHP/tonne & around 7s 0-60mph & 5s 50-75mph vs ZE50 - 91 BHP/tonne & around 9.5s 0-60 & 7s 50-75mph - PRO i3 ( may be a fairly significant con of the ZE50 for me )

4. Practicality - ZE50 has normal doors, 5 seats, bigger boot but no 'frunk' - over all PRO ZE50

7. 'x-factor' - i3 is marmite, quirky, CRFP, RWD, suicide doors, etc. ZE50 is fairly conventional - PRO i3 (imo)

9. Equipment - Over the i3, the ZE50 adds: speed limiter, larger portrait touch screen, customisable driver display, Android Auto/Car Play, lane keep assist at motorway speeds, auto high beam, wireless phone charger, 6 speakers, rear USB sockets, front parking sensors, parking camera, blind spot warning. - PRO ZE50

10. Heated seats - not as standard on ZE50 - PRO i3 ( surely Evezy will spec this option !!?? )

11. Comfort / driving position - ZE50 has no height adjustable seats, more upright driving position - PRO i3

Your range estimates are way off, I’m getting 160 winter in the i3 easy. The ze50 will get way over 200 in summer

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

2. Cruise control - ZE50 has no ACC - PRO i3 ( this is a big pro of the i3 for me )

7. 'x-factor' - i3 is marmite, quirky, CRFP, RWD, suicide doors, etc. ZE50 is fairly conventional - PRO i3 (imo)

9. Equipment - Over the i3, the ZE50 adds: speed limiter, larger portrait touch screen, customisable driver display, Android Auto/Car Play, lane keep assist at motorway speeds, auto high beam, wireless phone charger, 6 speakers, rear USB sockets, front parking sensors, parking camera, blind spot warning. i3 has fairly good voice control. - overall, big PRO ZE50

Stick it in a spreadsheet and score each out of 10, then see which one gets the highest score overall for your circumstances. Then once you know the winner, expect your heart will choose and may override the winner anyway. ;)

·
1,035 Posts
Your range estimates are way off, I’m getting 160 winter in the i3 easy. The ze50 will get way over 200 in summer
My estimates were specifically for motorways at 'normal' motorway speeds. If the i3 could do 160 miles at 70 mph I'd be ecstatic!

·
1,035 Posts
Stick it in a spreadsheet and score each out of 10, then see which one gets the highest score overall for your circumstances. Then once you know the winner, expect your heart will choose and may override the winner anyway. ;)
Yeah after the first few I thought I need to weight these so tried to sort of list them in some sort of priority order but then gave up with that after a bit I think.

I think we'll go and try look at a ZE50 in a showroom and maybe see if we can get a test drive to at least get a feel for it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah after the first few I thought I need to weight these so tried to sort of list them in some sort of priority order but then gave up with that after a bit I think.

I think we'll go and try look at a ZE50 in a showroom and maybe see if we can get a test drive to at least get a feel for it.
renault UK dealers only have LHD show room models, no test drives until April

·
1,035 Posts
renault UK dealers only have LHD show room models, no test drives until April
Thanks, do you happen to know if all (or most) dealers should have a ZE50 on display by now?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks, do you happen to know if all (or most) dealers should have a ZE50 on display by now?
Think there might be a limited number as the launch unveil back in November in dealers was a mobile affair moving around the country. Suggest you call Renault UK direct and see if they can tell you which dealer near you has any now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
you can get the GT line CCS Ze50 from dsg Renault £339+1 on a PCH 24 month deal, hmmmm.... insurance and maintenance isn’t anywhere near £80 for me and you get a key

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Missed off a fairly major category...

Charging speed - i3 has far superior charging curve. ZE50 has 22kW AC. I'm slightly concerned by the Renault website saying it would take 31+ hours to charge from 15% to 100% via 3 pin - is the Zoe's charger really lossy or something? PRO i3 overall
I thought the Evezy zoe came with 50kwh charging on CCS ?
Ive found i3 on DC is achingly slow on my home charger, much slower than my previous Soul.

5181 - 5195 of 5195 Posts