Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

5981 - 6000 of 6124 Posts

·
Registered
Get £50 off Evezy! Referral code e8615
1,727 Posts
Educated guess, sorry. But I wouldn’t be surprised. If Tesla are now able to add permissions per car, surely they could use the same functionality to support fleets on one Tesla account.

·
Registered
Evezy referral code is: 5468a
9 Posts
Educated guess, sorry. But I wouldn’t be surprised. If Tesla are now able to add permissions per car, surely they could use the same functionality to support fleets on one Tesla account.
It did look like a per car setting to me. Alas its only available in the US by the looks of it. Fingers crossed it might make it here one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a quick follow up my time with the Tesla S

Over the weekend I got home with about 10 miles charge left, parked up and put the car on charge using the 3 pin adapter.

Two days later I tried to get in and the app wouldn't connect at all. Both EvEzy and I thought it was a device malfunction so they sent someone out with a key. He couldn't get in either.

In the end they arranged recovery - they had to enter the front storage manually where they charged the 12v battery and hey presto the car came to life. During this entire period it had been plugged into a 3 pin charger (which couldnt be removed, meaning I couldn't charge the i3 so I had to use a petrol car, which hadn't been used for weeks so had a flat battery!

They took the Tesla away and it transpires that it had decided that it needed to update the Tesla Firmware itself over the air and doing this uses more charge than can be taken from the 3 pin plug. Very poor software from Tesla.
Anyway it's back - and is now completing the update on my drive as obviously the Tesla dealer couldn't be arse doing that.

It did give me the chance to look in a Model 3 and I have to say the use of the large screen seems much better in that car than the S.

Just further fuel to my theory that using an EV as a town car or to nip around is one thing but as a main vehicle to carry you round the country we just aren't there yet. It's possible for those who are preapred to put in the extra effort but definiltey sub optimal. If that had happened at an overnight stay in a hotel 200 miles from home I'd have been screwed - particularly as Tesla don't seem to think that there is anything wrong with their system and it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
They took the Tesla away and it transpires that it had decided that it needed to update the Tesla Firmware itself over the air and doing this uses more charge than can be taken from the 3 pin plug. Very poor software from Tesla.
Anyway it's back - and is now completing the update on my drive as obviously the Tesla dealer couldn't be arse doing that.
Which is odd, because the car doesn’t ‘update firmware’ without explicit permission from the user via the in-car interface or the app.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Which is odd, because the car doesn’t ‘update firmware’ without explicit permission from the user via the in-car interface or the app.
Apparently it does once Tesla decide the update has been outstanding for too long.
Or at least that's what I was told by the Tesla techinician on collection.

I certainly never requested it although when I parked up at home coming back from the dealer I was asked to confirm completion of the update with the car being unavilable for 25 minutes thereafter. I've not been back to check but whenever I walk out of the back door the door handles pop out as I have the key in my pocket still.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Welcome to Tesla. Does all kinds of weird s**t at random, but great when it works.

Edit: as I’ve always said, Tesla should licence the AP and drivetrain tech to other manufacturers and leave the “car” bits to someone who knows what they’re doing.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
I certainly never requested it although when I parked up at home coming back from the dealer I was asked to confirm completion of the update with the car being unavilable for 25 minutes thereafter. I've not been back to check but whenever I walk out of the back door the door handles pop out as I have the key in my pocket still.
Which makes even less sense. So the car updated itself but then request another update when you get it back?

·
Registered
57 Posts
update the Tesla Firmware itself over the air and doing this uses more charge than can be taken from the 3 pin plug. Very poor software from Tesla.
This sounds insane!

The 3-pin is delivering 2-3kW. Any software that needs 2kW to update itself needs a rewrite! Any software that needs 2kW and doesn't check that it's plugged in before running an update is pretty poor too.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Welcome to Tesla. Does all kinds of weird s**t at random, but great when it works.

Edit: as I’ve always said, Tesla should licence the AP and drivetrain tech to other manufacturers and leave the “car” bits to someone who knows what they’re doing.
Maybe someone like VAG who are doing a great job with the ID.3?

I’ve yet to see a car on the road with more advanced software than a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Advanced =! Good. We’ve all read the tale of the 737 MAX, and as a web dev, I can tell you that the “advanced” technologies in that field are a crock of s..t that are far less reliable than the old stuff.

Evezy is a React Native app for example, and it’s terrible. Mostly because it sends a response before processing the request, just like most React crap. They should have used a PHP or .NET web form with proper post backs, like the good old days.

Daimler did just fine with the EQC, isn’t that essentially just a 70D? If they’d chosen to integrate Tesla’s AP sensor suite instead of Mobileye, you’d end up with a pretty good approximation of the ideal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Which makes even less sense. So the car updated itself but then request another update when you get it back?
I can only go off what I was told by the Tesale tech.

I pulled up as normal and put the charger in and didn't think about the car for a couple of days I wasn't going anywhere

Couldn't get in the car and the end result was a bloke with a flat bed came, jumped the car from a battery pack (which is a ridiculous performance in itself and totally unfit for purpose)
at first all the car did was open and the interior didnt "start up"
We had to get the charger out of the car charging port so at this stage we were stuck.

After a short while the interior came to life enabling me to open the charging port from the screen. The screen was showing Zero miles range but that the car was currentlly charging

So the only things I am sure of

1 the car had main battery charge when I parked up, albeit low
2 It was plugged in to a known working 3 pin charger
3 There was an update due - a couple of days earlier I had tried to instigate this but it said I needed to be connected to wifi, so I didn't bother as it's not my car and couldn't be arse moving it to wifi reception area. I cancelled the update.
4. I locked the car as normal and definitely didn't request the update be done
5 two days later the car was totally dead and couldn't be opened with the EvEzy app, remotely by EvEzy or by the Tesla Key
6 when I got in at the dealers the car asked me to complete the update and it would take 25 minutes so I declined and drove home
7 When I got home I clicked on the error message and instigated the update. No idea if it's worked or not as I am in the house.

The rest is just what Tesla told me. They said all they had done is charge it and checked for errors and there isn't an issue.
The impression they gave me is that they know this can happen and they certainly weren't remotely bothered that it should happen.
They also have no clue about social distancing or how to do even basic hand/car hygeine, but they aren't alone in that.

A line of code stating "if car on low battery then don't instigate a fucking routine that witll fuck the car up" would solve this problem. I tried to give that feeback but no one was interested so I drove home.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
I can only go off what I was told by the Tesale tech.

I pulled up as normal and put the charger in and didn't think about the car for a couple of days I wasn't going anywhere

Couldn't get in the car and the end result was a bloke with a flat bed came, jumped the car from a battery pack (which is a ridiculous performance in itself and totally unfit for purpose)
at first all the car did was open and the interior didnt "start up"
We had to get the charger out of the car charging port so at this stage we were stuck.

After a short while the interior came to life enabling me to open the charging port from the screen. The screen was showing Zero miles range but that the car was currentlly charging

So the only things I am sure of

1 the car had main battery charge when I parked up, albeit low
2 It was plugged in to a known working 3 pin charger
3 There was an update due - a couple of days earlier I had tried to instigate this but it said I needed to be connected to wifi, so I didn't bother as it's not my car and couldn't be arse moving it to wifi reception area. I cancelled the update.
4. I locked the car as normal and definitely didn't request the update be done
5 two days later the car was totally dead and couldn't be opened with the EvEzy app, remotely by EvEzy or by the Tesla Key
6 when I got in at the dealers the car asked me to complete the update and it would take 25 minutes so I declined and drove home
7 When I got home I clicked on the error message and instigated the update. No idea if it's worked or not as I am in the house.

The rest is just what Tesla told me. They said all they had done is charge it and checked for errors and there isn't an issue.
The impression they gave me is that they know this can happen and they certainly weren't remotely bothered that it should happen.
They also have no clue about social distancing or how to do even basic hand/car hygeine, but they aren't alone in that.

A line of code stating "if car on low battery then don't instigate a fucking routine that witll fuck the car up" would solve this problem. I tried to give that feeback but no one was interested so I drove home.
It sounds like the car didn’t go on charge for some reason (maybe the charge timer was set) and then the 12 volt failed.

What you describe us symptomatic of that.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
To be fair, you have no idea if that is the case.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well here’s another first, for any make of car I believe... On FB M3 forum...

Ok..... stupid me decided to move the drivers seat up and out the way to look underneath(seperate post coming on that!). Wrongly assuming there would be some protection in how far it would move.... only to hear a crunch as it crushed the vanity mirror!
Any idea if/how I can get it replaced?
No photo description available.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It sounds like the car didn’t go on charge for some reason (maybe the charge timer was set) and then the 12 volt failed.

What you describe us symptomatic of that.
Whether it was charging or not an electric car should not lose all main battery charge plus full 12v battery charge in two days because of a random update.

Anyway it's not my battle as I can't see me in a Tesla any time soon.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Whether it was charging or not an electric car should not lose all main battery charge plus full 12v battery charge in two days because of a random update.

Anyway it's not my battle as I can't see me in a Tesla any time soon.
Did you confirm the car went on charge? Far more likely that it didn’t and hence why the car went completely flat along with the 12 volt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you confirm the car went on charge? Far more likely that it didn’t and hence why the car went completely flat along with the 12 volt.
3 things.
Why would a car go totally flat in 2 days. It had miles left when I parked plus the 12v. 2 days not two weeks

The charger was plugged in and working. It was locked onto the port. It started charging immediately the car was jumped by the recovery truck.

And the access to the 12v is a joke.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Tesla vehicles have obscene vampire drain, especially Evezy ones with sleep disabled and sentry mode.

5981 - 6000 of 6124 Posts