Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

6641 - 6660 of 6702 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,436 Posts
I'd really appreciate any tips, thought or advice
Best bet is probably to give Onto a call and discuss the circumstances with them. I think it will likely depend on the demand for particular vehicles at the given time. There’s probably quite a few people in similar situations, who don’t really need a car right now but might jump at the chance of getting one as soon as lockdown restrictions are lifted and better weather and longer days comes along.

IC4H is good - yes.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Is it something I can sign up to and then commit to / request a vehicle in advance? (e.g. start in mid April or May?) Is it better to wait until later on to apply? (I assume there's some kind of approval/account review, but no idea how long that takes).
Approval process should typically take about a week, maybe less, but it’s probably wise to get all signed up now so you are ready to get a car just as soon as possible once lockdown restrictions ease. As a newcomer you can book a car instantly online 24/7 and of course there may well be other car choices when you can hit the go button. As @Bill N confirmed ic4h is best option for annual cover.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just from me: insurance4carhire cover Onto, and I've had a successful claim with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best bet is probably to give Onto a call and discuss the circumstances with them.
As a newcomer you can book a car instantly online 24/7 and of course there may well be other car choices when you can hit the go button.
They also have a good helpchat thing on their website so you could try that.
Cheers all for the very quick replies!

I did reach out via their contact form on Friday with a few questions (but not live chat, may have missed that), most of them were basic things I've found answers to now (about insurance excess, whether you get a granny cable, whether you get keys). I also asked about the timing question.

I might give em a couple of days to see if they come back and if not I'll reach out again. I'm not super concerned about the vehicle type (love the look of the 208, might opt for an i3 if it had carplay built in, but equally if they added something like the ID3 I'd be keen on that too). From my limited EV driving experience I am a huge fan- I love just about anything techy as long as it works well, and a huge fan of the idea of the subscription model these guys go with.

Now if only turning off email notifications for each and every reply to my post worked 😅

·
Registered
84 Posts
FYI the i3 from Onto do not have Carplay, and there's no way to get it activated - speaking as someone who had an i3 from Onto for a year and looked into it. Having said that the navigation is really good once you get used to it (it integrates completely with the range estimates) and pretty easy to setup routes from the app. Biggest downside is the address database is poor. Even the entertainment interface gets easy to use after a few months!

·
2,436 Posts
the address database is poor.
I found the best way to enter a destination or search for an address etc was often to use the voice recognition - worked really well usually

Try pressing the steering wheel button and then say "Online search" followed by wherever you want to go.

·
2,436 Posts
I love just about anything techy
Maybe consider the Kona too as that is full of equipment and tech, and the longer range probably makes it a more suited to trips around the UK - especially if you plan to go anywhere such a mid Wales where chargers can still be a little sparse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI the i3 from Onto do not have Carplay, and there's no way to get it activated
Ah yes I misspoke above- I had seen they don't have it. It's not a dealbreaker, more of an annoyance. From cars I've rented last year the BMW nav is great, but I prefer to use Carplay for media/phone calls (Siri works pretty well) on the 'infotainment' screen and then have the BMW nav on the dash and/or HUD

Maybe consider the Kona too as that is full of equipment and tech, and the longer range probably makes it a more suited to trips around the UK - especially if you plan to go anywhere such a mid Wales where chargers can still be a little sparse.
Will take a look for sure- it looks to be a much bigger car, might be useful if it's big enough to fit a couple of road bikes in for some more 'active' holidays -- though having flashbacks of a 100km ride we did around Snowdonia national park a couple of years ago that nearly broke me 😂

·
2,436 Posts
Will take a look for sure- it looks to be a much bigger car, might be useful if it's big enough to fit a couple of road bikes in for some more 'active' holidays -- though having flashbacks of a 100km ride we did around Snowdonia national park a couple of years ago that nearly broke me 😂
The Kona is actually very compact - only roughly 15cm longer than an i3 or e-208 and pretty much the same width - it just sort of seems like it should be bigger because of the SUV styling.👍

Downside of that is that 2 bikes would probably be a tight squeeze, even with front wheels removed. On the plus side, it comes with roof rails.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Have you considered Elmo? Their availability is better and you get a key

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Kona is actually very compact - only roughly 15cm longer than an i3 or e-208 and pretty much the same width - it just sort of seems like it should be bigger because of the SUV styling.👍

Downside of that is that 2 bikes would probably be a tight squeeze, even with front wheels removed. On the plus side, it comes with roof rails.
View attachment 140349
Thanks for those very useful comparison shots/tool and the advice. Indeed it's not as large as I thought it was. Food for thought for sure with further research required.

Have you considered Elmo? Their availability is better and you get a key
I did check their site out over the weekend and their choice of vehicles seems a bit limited (maybe I'm missing something). Haven't ruled anything out at this point though. Not sure how much adding charging plans to Elmo bumps up the price though (I really dislike having to surrender personal info to find out how much something costs)

We don't have a driveway and probably wouldn't opt to install a front-of-house charger to drape over the footpath, so whatever I go for will need to live on-street and rely on outside power; there are decent BP Pulse and Shell network chargers near home though so feasibly could get by with very little £ spent charging, wishful thinking maybe?

·
2,436 Posts
feasibly could get by with very little £ spent charging, wishful thinking maybe?
I thinks it very doable - particularly if you went for something like the Kona with a bigger battery. If most driving is just local, lower speed trips then you might well get away with only needing to charge once or twice a week for 40 minutes at so.

ETA - this should have been "charge once every week or two"

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Please do not rely on public charging with a non-Tesla EV, it’s more hassle than it’s worth. Have you considered a hybrid?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please do not rely on public charging with a non-Tesla EV, it’s more hassle than it’s worth. Have you considered a hybrid?
I think it's do-able and the great thing about Onto is that if it's a disaster, you can just cancel it.

I remember a year or so back there was a guy who wrote in detail about trying to have a Zoe 22kWh as his only car with a family and no home charging. There was a reference to his wife crying in the car as he tried the third station in a row to get some charge. It was very honest!

I think if you get yourself a car with a great range so you basically have the flexibility to charge it when you're out and about, and if you have a damned good look at the Zapmap reviews for the charging points near you so you've got a realistic idea of how it all works, I reckon it'd be OK. I've got a Zoe 50kWh with Onto so I can charge on 50kW DC chargers and 22kW AC chargers so I've got more options than most, and the range is one of the better ones at 245 miles. But I'm still happy to be able to charge at home.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I had a Zoe 22 with no home charging for 6 months. Luckily my local charger broke on the 7th month, after I’d sold the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fully appreciate what you're saying TJEV and there's plenty of consideration underway. We're only looking for something short term though, likely 3-6 months maximum. I'd love to drive enough to justify ownership, but this is more about getting a bit of freedom later this year and the options are pretty much either a subscription service or possibly long term rentals.

I'd consider purchasing something and re-selling it later, but as someone who hasn't had a car for 4 years, I don't have an NCB so adding insurance is unfortunately quite pricey in our postcode.

I love the idea of going electric, there are a bunch of public charging points within a 5 minute walk of my house- even if it came to needing to pay for them sometimes to make sure the battery was 100% before departing it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm definitely open to hybrids but not sure if there are similar business models to Onto for PHEVs or regular hybrids?

I think it's do-able and the great thing about Onto is that if it's a disaster, you can just cancel it.
This is the appealing thing-- having the minimum term being so short means if it doesn't work, I don't renew and it's not the end of the world / I can always fall back to renting...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I had a Zoe 22 with no home charging for 6 months
Even the smallest battery model in the ONTO Fleet is double the capacity of that. Most are even larger capacity. Most people in most locations can now manage without home charging and not have to worry about charging it too much. As has been mentioned above me too, if it isn't convenient you hand the car back after just a month and move on. Especially since there is no commitment I would say it's well worth trying especially with a longer range model.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Oh yeah - I was just referencing the guy who mentioned the Zoe 22 above :)

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,354 Posts
I'd consider purchasing something and re-selling it later, but as someone who hasn't had a car for 4 years, I don't have an NCB so adding insurance is unfortunately quite pricey in our postcode.
That’s what tipped the balance in favour of ONTO for me. Living in East London and no NCD. Not a good combination! I’ve had an EV from them for 2 years, using public charging points. My borough eventually installed a 22kW post at the end of my road, so almost as good as home charging now! ( In fact better, as thanks to the Shell Card, I don’t pay for the electric). I upgraded to a Tesla for a month and did about 4K miles touring GB. I’d go for it! Much nicer experience than TfL can provide!

6641 - 6660 of 6702 Posts