Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I pulled up on the drive after going shopping with my wife and we unloaded the car and went in the house, my plan was to plug it in after taking the shopping into the house. Well one thing led to another and I completely forgot.

This morning I went out and saw the car was not plugged in, Oh Crap, followed by a slight panic came to mind, thats going to cause me a problem with my plans today. However I quickly realised the car had 170 miles of range left so "Never Mind" and a big smile :)

Yet another example of how range changes everything, after a days use in my leaf not plugging it in would have probably have caused me to have to visit the chargemaster rapid in Cambourne and pay them upwards of £15 to get a full charge (this is the closest only rapid in Cambridgehisre, the next ecotricity one is about 35 miles away in the wrong direction from where I was heading.

So having range allows me to treat the car like everyone else (all those who have not seen the light) treats their cars and not worry about it, I can only hope that we start to see 200+ mile evs becoming the norm as I fully believe this is the key to mass adoption.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes it will but only if you set it to do so and set it to your 'Home' as the charge point.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I too have done this on my PiP, walk into garage, curses, never mind, jump into car and drive off. Never a problem.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've done this a few times now. Fortunately I do the exact same journey every day, and I know that the works car park charger will be working (and if it isn't, there are several rapids en-route that I can use). If I'm running late and the weather is nice I can kit up & jump on the Triumph.

But I can't imagine the warm smug feeling of knowing that you've still got 170 miles 'in the tank'! It's mind boggling really.

·
1,543 Posts
But your LEAF would have emailed you a reminder :)
This is the one thing that I like about CarWings...

I helped my 60+ year old mother move from ICE to EV in a Leaf last year, and this was the first thing I set up for her (at home). (also the notification when it is fully charged). I route the email TO ONE OF MY EMAIL ADDRESSES (using Gmail and the + qualifier after my email address) so that I knew that the emails were coming from CarWings.

I then created a rule that FORWARDED these notices to her email so that she is reminded. (as an extra push, I enabled SMS notification direct to her telephone.)

This set up allows me to be comforted to know that my mom is home and plugged in and allowed me to identify when her Leaf came up with last year's 2013 power distribution module issue (she had the first gen 6.6kw charger) and to advise her to go to Nissan for the fix.

My mom, on the other hand, enjoys the pre-cool feature on CarWings (and that's pretty much all she uses it for.)

·
1,543 Posts
Oh., and to be on topic... I have to force my wife to NOT plug the Roadster in every night. She drives less miles than I do and we're trying to figure out the actual battery degradation. This process on a Roadster requires deeper discharges because of the original way that Tesla had calculated capacity usage and recharge (and thus range). So, for the past month we've had to run the car down more than we've done in the past.

It's disconcerting for her as she's been diligent at plugging in her Roadster... However, I just remind her to hearken back to the years she drove ICE and gasoline magically appeared in the tank because she HARDLY EVER "recharged" the ICE car. (she didn't quite appreciate the joke, but boy was it worth it.)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have a low tech solution, with the CP the other side of the wall where I sit of an evening. If I don't hear a clunk in the first couple of minutes of the Ten O'Clock news (10pm cheap rate kicks in, and I have a Hager unit that energises the CP on a timer) then I know something's amiss...

·
Registered
221 Posts
It would?! Goes off to read some more of the manual...
I'm sure I posted instructions on this, I have the carwings email set as a VIP on my iphone with a different sound. Not really needed now since there is a charger at my wife's work as she just plugs in when she gets there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts