Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since picking up the car I have found myself looking for any excuse to get out and drive it, from giving friends the test drive and tesla grin experience to even volunteering to go shopping just to get out and drive. During this time I have noticed a few things that I really like and a few niggles that make me think they could have tried harder.

So an addition to the day one brain dump, here is dump No 2.

The Good

1. Range anxiety has gone, last saturday I did 4 local trips around 20 miles each plus a long trip out to an outlet mall about 65 miles each way, getting home with about 70 miles left and not once did I worry about range, or should I really be running the AC, or even can I spare the power to show Audi driver who is stalking me what this car can do :)

2. The auto present handles are fantastic you just walk up get in and drive, and then put it in park and walk away, have to admit it took a few days of not looking over my shoulder to see it had locked itself

3. The tesla app is great, can locate the car on a map for you and even tell you the speed if its moving, helps relieve any valet anxiety if you leave the car for someone to park

4. I don't charge every day, quite often going 2-3 days before plugging in, the pressure has been removed to make sure its always fully charged

5. Superchargers are awesome, however we need more in the UK

The Bad

6. My miles per KWh is getting worse, in the leaf I would cruise at 60 with the AC off, now I cruise at 70ish with AC on and rather than gentle acceleration I love to rocket away, so I need to work on that :)

7. The space between the driver and passenger is just wasted, it needs a center console, not only somewhere for me to rest my knee against but some storage for things you want to leave in the car. The two cup holders are ok but I find them awkward to reach to get a drink while driving.

8.The glove compartment is tiny, given its the only storage in the cabin that is out of sight it could do with being a little bigger

9. No Sunglasses storage either, how hard would it be to put an overhead bin in.

10. Parking in some carparks is a challenge with small bays( e.g. anywhere in Cambridge) , however I tend to park a bit further away from the store entrance where there are lots of free bays so not an issue

11.Charging at 30 amps takes a while, there is a charge start timer but no stop timer like in the leaf, a few times I have run over the end of the E7 period into peak rate and would have preferred to stop as I did not really need the full range that day.

12. Voice commands are a little limited right now, I would like to be able to select apps on the touchscreen without having to reach over and press buttons, the touch screen is not that distracting but takes a while to really learn where the button your looking for is going to be

13.Spare wheel, the car should come with a spare wheel, its not like there is not enough storage space in the frunk/froot which I have never put anything in.

The Ugly

14. There is no ugly its a beautiful car, a few niggles but drop dead gorgeous

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Looks like you really had to try hard to find the "bad" because they really are little more than niggles, aren't they? (That's a good thing, BTW!)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you really had to try hard to find the "bad" because they really are little more than niggles, aren't they? (That's a good thing, BTW!)
To be honest It was very hard, I love it, love it more than any car I have ever driven :)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: #6 on your list – in your shoes, I wouldn't bother about miles/kWh at the moment.

Why not enjoy the capabilities of a premium car occasionally? You can get into hypermiling the Model S when the mood takes you.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Great review and nice to see you are popping plenty of miles on it too, yet to see one on the roads here in the UK and I have really been looking for one as well, it will be my luck that the first one that I see will be just pulling in to a rapid charging bay when I pull up ha ha.

I totally agree on the centre console thing as well, weren’t they supposed to be offering some kind of aftermarket console thing? Your niggles are pretty much the same as the ones that I have heard from other people so no surprises there at all.

It is a super nice looking car with super performance to boot I would be interested to know how it feels to jump back in to the leaf though after you have been driving this? As we are likely to keep both cars too.

·
1,542 Posts
At around 17,500 miles, I have some complaints... And the most consistent one that I have (and had since before I picked up the car) is the lack of coat hooks. If I needed to wear a suit, and have four passengers in the car, either have to drive with the jacket on, or put it in the trunk (or frunk). A coat hook would be quite convenient.

The size takes getting used to (and I'm in the USA where the streets are wider.)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi @Dennis yes lack of coat hooks is a pain, in the UK we got a free parcel shelf so I lay my jacket on that to keep it looking good

·
1,542 Posts
Hi @Dennis yes lack of coat hooks is a pain, in the UK we got a free parcel shelf so I lay my jacket on that to keep it looking good
I think all new orders (last few months) now get the parcel shelf included. I initially ordered without it... But went up to the factory in Fremont to pick up the car (about 400 miles from home) and had plans to go North to Sonoma Wine Country before heading back to the LA area... Needless to say, the first accessory that I added was that shelf. I guess I can use it for that in a full car condition.

At least the dual effect of being in Southern California and the Tech field makes wearing a coat or jacket a rarity... (Might also contribute to this obvious design flaw, the Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne, CA is beach community adjacent)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
It looks like there is an optional storage consol to add to the space between the seats (scroll down the page on the link): http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior

7. The space between the driver and passenger is just wasted, it needs a center console, not only somewhere for me to rest my knee against but some storage for things you want to leave in the car. The two cup holders are ok but I find them awkward to reach to get a drink while driving.

·
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen posted elsewhere that piano black ones are now shipping but I want to see it before parting with money

·
1,542 Posts
Good review Jon
I would never let a valet park my Tesla S if I had one!!!!
A lot of us first felt that way... Then you end up in an event where the self parking is nonexistent or worse than valet.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I too experienced the same urge to take the car out at any opportunity making more journeys than were really needed. After 18 months I still about I still look forward to each trip. We do have two cars but since buying the Ampera the other one has only been driven about 20 miles, just for a trip to the MOT station and the occasional blast down the road to keep the the brakes etc from seizing up. This is partly due to wishing to increase the battery miles to improve the overall MPG. I always try to keep the battery fully charged to allow for the unexpected journey that could occur.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts