Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old i3s was up for vehicle Tax renewal. When I bought it last year I specified it with everything, a bit of a Christmas tree, and in my mind added the 5 years of luxury car tax of about £300 plus per year recognising I would get stung. They even told me on my V5. So pleased I did not hold back as with recent U.K. vehicle tax changes it has come through as NIL on its first tax renewal. Also electric vehicle insurance with full business cover from LV= came in at £320 including legal protection and due to reduced mileage due to Covid lockdown have managed to keep car charged just with solar using the myenergi Zappi. So very happy today (feeling slightly smug).

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
My one year old i3s was up for vehicle Tax renewal. When I bought it last year I specified it with everything, a bit of a Christmas tree, and in my mind added the 5 years of luxury car tax of about £300 plus per year recognising I would get stung. They even told me on my V5. So pleased I did not hold back as with recent U.K. vehicle tax changes it has come through as NIL on its first tax renewal. Also electric vehicle insurance with full business cover from LV= came in at £320 including legal protection and due to reduced mileage due to Covid lockdown have managed to keep car charged just with solar using the myenergi Zappi. So very happy today (feeling slightly smug).
View attachment 134484
We are all happy for you.:):):):)

·
Registered
559 Posts
All this means is that as more EVs get sold the likelihood increases that we all have to have black boxes fitting and road pricing happen!

for £46k you could have got a long range Tesla! BMW smoking crack with the i3 pricing still I see

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All this means is that as more EVs get sold the likelihood increases that we all have to have black boxes fitting and road pricing happen!

for £46k you could have got a long range Tesla! BMW smoking crack with the i3 pricing still I see
Just want to emphasis I didn’t pay £46K managed to negotiate a great discount using Carwow. Paid £37K in the end. Tesla model 3 at the time of ordering was massive leadtimes and wifey didn’t appreciate Musk and and his antics. So very happy with i3s intend to run it into the ground. On my daily 90 mile commute which starts again next week.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To get the EV grant the vehicle does need to cost below £50k. This is the £3K one off payment but a BEV is exempt from luxury tax it seems.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
427 Posts
Yes I kept the spec just under the £40k mark deliberately. I wouldn't have added much, but I would have added one or two things if I'd realised it was going to avoid the extra £2k tax over the next five years. Grrr.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,433 Posts
You've saved yourself a lot of money there by buying such an expensive car ... errrr ....hummmmm ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've saved yourself a lot of money there by buying such an expensive car ... errrr ....hummmmm ?
The i3 at the time was the only EV you could negotiate good discounts on as it had been in production so long and also EVs were not quite mainstream even 15 months ago wait lists on a Kia were 12 months and similarly on the Tesla although both have reduced. At the time the i3s was one of the better deals out there. Things have moved on a lot since June 2019 when I ordered it. So yes expensive and yes big discount but for that price most other vehicles we’re not available. Would I buy an other? Yes, So much fun to drive.

·
28,433 Posts
The i3 at the time was the only EV you could negotiate good discounts on as it had been in production so long and also EVs were not quite mainstream even 15 months ago wait lists on a Kia were 12 months and similarly on the Tesla although both have reduced. At the time the i3s was one of the better deals out there. Things have moved on a lot since June 2019 when I ordered it. So yes expensive and yes big discount but for that price most other vehicles we’re not available. Would I buy an other? Yes, So much fun to drive.
Nice.

You know I'm just joshing around with you, I hope! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The luxury vehicle tax was just adding insult to the injury of the high list price.

It has gone for now but I wouldn’t bet against it coming back in some form as this Government seeks to raise taxes to pay for the hundreds of billions of £ of expenditure / lost income due to Coronavirus.

·
28,433 Posts
The luxury vehicle tax was just adding insult to the injury of the high list price.
Disagree.

It offers an incentive to manufacturers to compete to make decent cars below that price point, and happily sucks in money from those with enough to afford their cash being redistrubuted to other public uses.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
View attachment 134484
Just don't forget that even if it is NIL you still have to visit the website and go through the ceremony of paying them £0. Otherwise they'll fine you for non-payment.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Otherwise they'll fine you for non-payment.
Fine you? I think they tell you they'll take your car away and crush it.

Then they'll trash your credit history and kill your first born.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts