Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Kona has just reached 40k miles after 20 months of ownership. It would have got there quicker without a certain global pandemic getting in the way of course. It seems like a good time to reflect on the car, both good and bad, although (spoiler alert) the latter is the shorter list.

Like many people we ordered the car on the day pre-order opened in 2018 without having seen or driven one. I hadn‘t intended to - I didn’t really like the mock SUV design and I’m not an impulsive kind of person. I have certainly never bought a car without test driving it first. However, I got bored of waiting for a Model 3 and had been spooked by Elon’s strange witterings. I also got carried along on the hype on here during Kona pre-order day.

Because of my indecision I put in my order in the afternoon and missed out on the first batch plus I ordered the ceramic blue two-tone Premium which turned out to be the longest wait. We finally took delivery in April 2019.

The collection from Smiths in Peterborough was underwhelming - their communication had been hopeless and, despite being the first one to collect an EV Kona, they weren’t that interested. They tried showing me round the key features of the car but didn’t really understand most of them. I later tried Spirit in Corby for servicing and they were no better. My experience of Hyundai dealers didn’t improve until I tried Tates in Shoreham who were excellent.

The car itself has exceeded expectations in nearly every department. It goes without saying that it has a great range but the reliability of the GOM and it’s unflappability in all conditions and at all speeds has been a revelation and made it incredibly easy to live with.

It spends much of its time on motorways, not being driven with economy in mind, and twice a week has to do 200 mile round trips. This is reflected in the overall 3.6 miles/kWh. We have supreme confidence when we set off that we will match its GOM (225 miles in depths of winter, 250 miles in summer). How do Hyundai get this efficiency so right when most other manufacturers seem to struggle?

It is very comfortable - much more so than our Leaf 30 although not quite as comfy as our previous Ampera. We never get aches and pains even after long journeys. It has all the driver assistance you could wish for (and some you wish it didn’t like LKA on country roads and a sometimes over-eager emergency stop). Adaptive cruise is great as is the assistance for overtaking and reversing.

In terms of negatives, we quickly replaced the sub-standard Nexens with Goodyears which have much better grip and are quieter. I wish it had an app like the Leaf for remote heating and charge indicator and that Android Auto would do split screen (the newer one of course has both functions). The boot could also do with a bit more room.

Other than that, can’t think of much else we would change and can’t think yet of a better car to replace it with. We are very glad we didn‘t hold on for the M3 although that is undoubtedly a very good car. We got the Kona quicker, it was cheaper and it just suits us better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very much agree, there is no other cars on the market that can out do the Kona on price and range. The only car i'd consider is the eniro for the 7 year warranty, but the drop in range 30-40km drop in range for the enrio puts me off. Think at this point I'd only upgrade with a newer Kona, or a model Y but the large price increase doesn't seem worth it for the small range increase.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Android Auto on the MY20 doesn't use the full width of the screen: you get the right third filled with an Android Auto logo and there's nothing you can do with it. I hope they might fix it with a software update, it's the head-end's fault.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also forgot to add that when we get round to cleaning it, the car looks as good inside and out as it did 40k miles ago which is a real testament to the build quality. Hyundai seem at the top of their game and just seem to know what they are doing with EVs.

I used to say the same about Toyota - we had every model of Prius from 2002. Unfortunately, they lost their way in thinking that ’self-drive hybrids’ and fuel cell cars were the only future. Hope Hyundai don’t go the same way.

·
Registered
Kona 64
653 Posts
Our Kona has just reached 40k miles after 20 months of ownership. It would have got there quicker without a certain global pandemic getting in the way of course. It seems like a good time to reflect on the car, both good and bad, although (spoiler alert) the latter is the shorter list.

Like many people we ordered the car on the day pre-order opened in 2018 without having seen or driven one. I hadn‘t intended to - I didn’t really like the mock SUV design and I’m not an impulsive kind of person. I have certainly never bought a car without test driving it first. However, I got bored of waiting for a Model 3 and had been spooked by Elon’s strange witterings. I also got carried along on the hype on here during Kona pre-order day.

Because of my indecision I put in my order in the afternoon and missed out on the first batch plus I ordered the ceramic blue two-tone Premium which turned out to be the longest wait. We finally took delivery in April 2019.

The collection from Smiths in Peterborough was underwhelming - their communication had been hopeless and, despite being the first one to collect an EV Kona, they weren’t that interested. They tried showing me round the key features of the car but didn’t really understand most of them. I later tried Spirit in Corby for servicing and they were no better. My experience of Hyundai dealers didn’t improve until I tried Tates in Shoreham who were excellent.

The car itself has exceeded expectations in nearly every department. It goes without saying that it has a great range but the reliability of the GOM and it’s unflappability in all conditions and at all speeds has been a revelation and made it incredibly easy to live with.

It spends much of its time on motorways, not being driven with economy in mind, and twice a week has to do 200 mile round trips. This is reflected in the overall 3.6 miles/kWh. We have supreme confidence when we set off that we will match its GOM (225 miles in depths of winter, 250 miles in summer). How do Hyundai get this efficiency so right when most other manufacturers seem to struggle?

It is very comfortable - much more so than our Leaf 30 although not quite as comfy as our previous Ampera. We never get aches and pains even after long journeys. It has all the driver assistance you could wish for (and some you wish it didn’t like LKA on country roads and a sometimes over-eager emergency stop). Adaptive cruise is great as is the assistance for overtaking and reversing.

In terms of negatives, we quickly replaced the sub-standard Nexens with Goodyears which have much better grip and are quieter. I wish it had an app like the Leaf for remote heating and charge indicator and that Android Auto would do split screen (the newer one of course has both functions). The boot could also do with a bit more room.

Other than that, can’t think of much else we would change and can’t think yet of a better car to replace it with. We are very glad we didn‘t hold on for the M3 although that is undoubtedly a very good car. We got the Kona quicker, it was cheaper and it just suits us better.
If only you had ordered in the morning! I put down my deposit for a ceramic blue with white roof seconds after the order book opened & picked up mine 6 weeks later, mid September 18 Like you I would never have before have considered ordering on the back of a Top Gear review without even seeing one.

More than happy with the car. I managed a 2,500 round trip to the south of France last year. In 2019 the French network of autoroute chargers made Ecotricity look good. The car eats up the miles on Autoroutes, the standard Nexens are remarkably quiet on those roads but of course you pay the price with the tolls. On the last day of the holiday, 500 miles from Tours back home and I felt like I could drive another 500 miles.
The only gripe is the size of the boot, not a problem till we go on holiday. I looked at a Polestar 2 yesterday. A decent boot but in terms of spec not much better than the Kona but at a higher price. The Kona is the perfect compromise, great equipment and performance at a competitive price.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
364 Posts
Great review! Similar driving here, similar economy!

I’d like a memory drivers seat at least for when we swap, & we are 18k miles in using the Nexans: never feel quite as bad as everyone says, although I’m sure we will upgrade eventually.
Remote heating would be nice, clearly, but when we had some regular early starts last year, we just used the timer setting.

Our handover was with Hyundai in Anstey (kind of an offshoot arm of the main Leicester dealer!), & the fella we dealt with there (Ben) was very enthusiastic & interested: he was ex-Nissan, so very familiar with the Leaf, & raved about our Kona: even called during the 9 month wait for delivery when he had one in for us to have a drive with, so full marks there!

A bit of me feels we should prepare for what is next in 12-18 months,,,,& another bit feels we could run this for years: brilliant car!

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wrote to Hyundai UK (and Korea) asking them to rethink the driver seat memory.
I reminded them that it's in the Top Spec Ioniq, and should therefore be in the Top Spec Kona.
I guess it could be fitted to all which have electronic seat adjustment.

Please pester Hyundai likewise - the more who do so the more likely Hyundai might introduce it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not much to add to this really other than to agree, the car is great, the dealerships less so. We have now moved from France to Portugal but got the dreaded recall letter just before moving. We therefore are now trying to find a competent dealership here, not easy and probably not necessary as we already had the BMS update and the car is running perfectly, frankly I don’t want it messed with! I too have an itch for a Tesla, but gradually it becomes just too big a gap financially to get just a bit more range, it would mainly be for the supercharger network, time will tell.

Having completed a trip to Spain (south coast), Germany, all the way up to Berlin and Portugal three times I can attest to the reliability of the car, it’s range and comfort. Without a doubt it’s the charging network that is the Achilles heel of long distance EV journeys, but with each trip we have seen an improvement, it gradually becomes a spoilt for choice situation. If we have a network like Gridserve plan to rollout life will become much easier!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got to agree with everyone so far. A great car with a great range for the price. It does everything I want and ticks all the boxes. I don't do that many long journeys, and I haven't done any beyond the range of the battery yet. As for the charging network, as D.Ream sang, things can only get better. Can't wait to see more charging hubs pop up around the country. The Motorway Services need to sit up and pay attention.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
How do you guys find the torque steer/wheelspin which seems to get mentioned in every review ?
I have the delivery Nexens still, any thing ‘dynamic’ on wet roads and it scrabbles
Feeding the power in a tad more gently and it is okay.

pulling out of a junction smartly needs careful judgement

·
Registered
593 Posts
How do you guys find the torque steer/wheelspin which seems to get mentioned in every review ?
I've had it happen a couple of times when quickly pulling out of a junction into a gap in the traffic. The car still pulls away like a thoroughbred so dosen't cause any concerns.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Not much to add to this really other than to agree, the car is great, the dealerships less so. We have now moved from France to Portugal but got the dreaded recall letter just before moving. We therefore are now trying to find a competent dealership here, not easy and probably not necessary as we already had the BMS update and the car is running perfectly, frankly I don’t want it messed with! I too have an itch for a Tesla, but gradually it becomes just too big a gap financially to get just a bit more range, it would mainly be for the supercharger network, time will tell.

Having completed a trip to Spain (south coast), Germany, all the way up to Berlin and Portugal three times I can attest to the reliability of the car, it’s range and comfort. Without a doubt it’s the charging network that is the Achilles heel of long distance EV journeys, but with each trip we have seen an improvement, it gradually becomes a spoilt for choice situation. If we have a network like Gridserve plan to rollout life will become much easier!
it’s terrible having that Tesla itch. The supercharger network is a draw. But being honest I have only used it a couple of times in the first 7k miles. Both times I used them they were brilliant. Unplanned 400 mile round trip late evening with only 40% in car. got in entered postcode and it planned trip with a 20min charge stop with no prompting. Got us there and back. On way back it moaned we were going to fast and to slow down to make it home we did and we got there.

BUT as a car it’s nowhere near as good as the Kona. I still think even with the supercharger network on long trips it’s neck and neck with the Kona ok it chargers slower but goes a fair bit further than the M3 SR+

with gridserve and other networks rolling out and supercharger sites getting more congested. It couldflip into the Konas favour very quicky

give me an AWD Kona with 150kw charging and I would be back on it like a fat kid on chips

·
Registered
593 Posts
BUT as a car it’s nowhere near as good as the Kona. I still think even with the supercharger network on long trips it’s neck and neck with the Kona ok it chargers slower but goes a fair bit further than the M3 SR+
It's good to know that my "pros and cons" list gave me the right answer. I also had that Tesla itch, but the Kona ticked so many of the boxes I needed. The Tesla was just a bit too gimicky for me. (Although I would give my right arm for the Sentry Mode). :)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
It's good to know that my "pros and cons" list gave me the right answer. I also had that Tesla itch, but the Kona ticked so many of the boxes I needed. The Tesla was just a bit too gimicky for me. (Although I would give my right arm for the Sentry Mode). :)
Sentry mode is a good one. I was trapped in a Road by a delivery driver parked in the middle of the road despite there being parking spaces all along the road. Took him 15mins to get back to van. I made my displeasure known. Next thing I know old bill at my house saying I got out and threatened him. Pulled footage from car which not only showed I had not got out of car but the Police decided to prosecute him for leaving a vehicle running unattended in the roadway (didn’t even realise that was an offence)

But on the pros and cons I do think the Kona is ahead, the M3 is just a bit needy.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
364 Posts
I love it :ROFLMAO:
Seriously, it is a function of how heavy the right foot is (in my experience), as well as how wet the road is......never had problems avoiding it, but certainly when alone (& road suits, clearly!) I quite enjoy it.
I know. Bad human....dangerous driver....

Sentry mode is a good one. I was trapped in a Road by a delivery driver parked in the middle of the road despite there being parking spaces all along the road. Took him 15mins to get back to van. I made my displeasure known. Next thing I know old bill at my house saying I got out and threatened him. Pulled footage from car which not only showed I had not got out of car but the Police decided to prosecute him for leaving a vehicle running unattended in the roadway (didn’t even realise that was an offence)

But on the pros and cons I do think the Kona is ahead, the M3 is just a bit needy.
Technically called “Quitting”, I believe.
A reason one shouldn’t nip into a shop (or to deliver a parcel, as your friendly delivery driver found!) with the motor running.
Might be harder to prove with an EV though, eh😜

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only 7000 miles since August in mine and I agree with just about everything said above. Memory seats would be a great plus. I`m on 4.3 miles/Kw, so maybe that reflects the average warmer weather in my 5 months. Wheelspin was prolific, but never had locking under braking or letting go on corners so I feel that the Nexens just get overwhelmed by the torque of that motor. I have just fitted MIchelin all seasons and they are quieter for sure, and haven`t spun yet - but maybe that is my right foot that has learnt to be gentler.
I keep seeing the comment about remote preheating come up. But I can switch on the heating/air conditioning from Bluelink - is this not normal?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I take it all back what I said about Smiths Hyundai in Peterborough. They have gone from giving the impression of complete indifference to high quality customer service.

Took it in for recall this morning and booked a 40k mile service at the same time. They had messaged me with reminders. When I got there at 8.30 they knew all about my requirements as soon as I said my name and confirmed the three recall items.

I told them I could pick up if it was ready by 1pm but if not it would be tomorrow. Within an hour I had been emailed a video of a complementary health check. By 11.30 I was sent a text to say all work was done. When I got there it had received a full valet and was plugged in for a top up charge.

The COVID secure measures were excellent, the service staff friendly and altogether a faultless experience.

To top it all the GOM had gone from averaging 225 miles to showing 265. Obviously that won't last long but nice to see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts