Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked the kids up from school, as I parked by the kerb I noticed in front of me an eniro, and then another Kona pulled up behind me! Three Korean EVs in a row outside the school! A year ago you hardly saw any at all, the world is changing, and it smells a bit less of petroleum

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
Just picked the kids up from school, as I parked by the kerb I noticed in front of me an eniro, and then another Kona pulled up behind me! Three Korean EVs in a row outside the school! A year ago you hardly saw any at all, the world is changing, and it smells a bit less of petroleum
Schools should have priority parking adjacent to school for EVs. Gas guzzlers should be demoted to some distance away. After all why should school kids come out and be met with noxious fumes!

If we could devise a petition to be debated in parliament and get legislation passed that would soon get rid of these 4x4 oversized prestige-mobiles. The last thing they'd want is to be seen as second-grade citizens.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
314 Posts
while I don't disagree that it would be best to keep such poisonous fumes from the school gates, I believe the real issues is the belief that cars need to be suv size. Its frustrating to see so many massive etron ipace modelx kona niro type cars. Sad that we seem to prize looking down on folk from behind the wheel than being smart about efficiency and physics like the aero of the ioniqs. Its a pity we wont tax evs on efficiency basis, like we do on the ice equivalents. Efficiency maters whether you drive an EV or and ICE. The ioniq is one of the best things the Koreans have done. Wish they made a decent estate too.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
588 Posts
Kona SUV size ? I park mine under my bed 🛌 😌

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Schools should have priority parking adjacent to school for EVs. Gas guzzlers should be demoted to some distance away. After all why should school kids come out and be met with noxious fumes!

If we could devise a petition to be debated in parliament and get legislation passed that would soon get rid of these 4x4 oversized prestige-mobiles. The last thing they'd want is to be seen as second-grade citizens.
There shouldn't be any parking near to schools. Being driven to school rather than walking or cycling is one of the reasons British children are just about the most overweight in Europe, with 28% of under 15 year olds classed as obese or overweight.

·
Registered
555 Posts
There shouldn't be any parking near to schools. Being driven to school rather than walking or cycling is one of the reasons British children are just about the most overweight in Europe, with 28% of under 15 year olds classed as obese or overweight.
It’s not always as simple as that. It’s six miles from home to school! And that includes motorway.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
It’s not always as simple as that.
I agree - there are lots of reasons why walking or using public transport to get to school may not be possible. I know zero transport is an ideal but for a lot of people it is totally impractical in today's society. What happens if your child is, or you are phsyically disabled for instance.

But I don't think getting into a discussion around stopping all vehicles taking kids to /from school is anything to do with electric vehicles per se. But getting rid a concentration of car fumes near a concentration of children makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
314 Posts
The Kona is smaller than your Leaf.
It just looks bigger (perhaps because you get much more from Hyundai :) )
I was genuinely surprised by this reply so I did some internet searching for the stats
Kona EV Leaf
l 4180 4445
h 1565 1550
w 1800 1770
wt 1,535 kg 1,521 kg
dc 0.29 0.32 drag coefficient - lower is better here

so while the reply was correct as my leaf is 26.5cm longer it is marginally less wide, less tall, less heavy, however non of that really matters as my beef was with the energy efficiency which is down mostly to aero and drag coefficients and I'm pleased to find that actually the kona EV is better than my 2011 leaf.

On my car I have wheel inserts to increase aero but I almost always have my yakima whispbars attached which increases drag.

All this is to say I stand corrected sadly looking at the published drag coefficients of all the car I mentioned they all defeat my 2011 leaf. However the general efficiency of say the I-Pace is notably worse but that perhaps down to how it is driven or how the throttle response is programed.

I actually think that folk are right about the need to walk or cycle to school, where this is a practical and safe solution. Post pandemic too, car pooling needs to make a come back.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Lovely idea but I can't see my 3 year old making the 3 mile walk on unlit 60mph roads with no pavement successfully.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Your 3 year old is going to school?
It’s a pre-school attached to the primary school, which my 4 year old attends. I don’t think he’d fare any better.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Lovely idea but I can't see my 3 year old making the 3 mile walk on unlit 60mph roads with no pavement successfully.
Yeah, sadly the ideal world doesn't exist. Most of live in the real world, where reality exists. Family comes first.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The problem is that although EB may have a justifiable point most children live within walking distance of their primaries. But every parent thinks their own situation is exceptional and justifiable. We also forget how many households don't have a car..

Anyway, feeling slightly guilty as I'm sat in my study watching the heavy rain blow past the window and have decided to nip down to aged parent and deliver food in the car, a distance I normally cycle or walk!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts