Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Exciting Times Ahead
300 Posts
this will be nice.. they must just keep pushing forward so we can get more miles out of a battery at a lower cost.

Reactions: nattydread

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would be interested to know how much heavier this pack was. Roll on replacement 60 kWh battery packs!
From the article:
More weight, but a lot more power density. Using the 24-kWh pack as a baseline, Nissan says that the new 60-kWh pack weighs just 220 pounds more. So with that older pack weighing in the vicinity of 660 pounds, that ups overall weight to nearly 900 pounds. It's impressive, considering the gain in kWh per pound.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I love this. Well done Nissan, let's see it in a Leaf in a couple of years. All credit for sticking to their principles and keeping it simple = cheap.

And they think hydrogen is the future? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
From the article:
More weight, but a lot more power density. Using the 24-kWh pack as a baseline, Nissan says that the new 60-kWh pack weighs just 220 pounds more. So with that older pack weighing in the vicinity of 660 pounds, that ups overall weight to nearly 900 pounds. It's impressive, considering the gain in kWh per pound.
So from 660lbs (300kg) to 900lbs (408kg). That's to allow anyone under the age of 50 to understand the weights.

A 16 stone person is 101 kg. So the increase is the weight of two people with fuller figures. I wonder how that will affect the suspension?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
And the tyres? :rolleyes:

Reactions: MoonCat

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
So from 660lbs (300kg) to 900lbs (408kg). That's to allow anyone under the age of 50 to understand the weights.

A 16 stone person is 101 kg. So the increase is the weight of two people with fuller figures. I wonder how that will affect the suspension?
Or is that only 1 person?

Reactions: Davidx

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I was going to say that - these days that's one average teenager based on what I've seen on some high streets

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

108kg is more like one fat person and their accoutrements. It's not horrific. Chuck out the Bose Sub Woofer thing; revert to Aluminium bodywork (now that there are cheaper ways to make it); tidy up the motor/invertor/charger stack and you can probably get back about 50kg or so. I suspect there are some other weight savings available elsewhere but am not an automotive engineer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
all i want to hear is that it can be retro fitted into gen2 leafs....would be great to pop a new one in like this, or maybe with even more increased capacity, somewhere down the line

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
There has to be a reason it's still the same size and shape as the current Leaf battery. Yes, they are using it as the test platform so it has to fit but I'm hoping they've got half an eye on a retrofit option in a couple of years.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
There has to be a reason it's still the same size and shape as the current Leaf battery. Yes, they are using it as the test platform so it has to fit but I'm hoping they've got half an eye on a retrofit option in a couple of years.
I am still sceptical. Toyota don't do it with the Prius, and no manufacturer does it with new generations of engines they produce (even if they go into the same platform) What would make Nissan decide to do it?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Dunno - the power of wishful thinking! :)

Reactions: JDleaf

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
What would make Nissan decide to do it?
Appalling residuals on unwanted second hand LEAFs. A second hand LEAF with 60 kWh at about £17k would make it the hottest second hand EV around and depress all other EV residuals unless they did the same.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Appalling residuals on unwanted second hand LEAFs. A second hand LEAF with 60 kWh at about £17k would make it the hottest second hand EV around and depress all other EV residuals unless they did the same.
They haven't (been able?) to do it with the 30 kwh pack to Gen 2

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
As noted, you cannot have a 30kWh battery in a 24kWh Leaf (officially). They are the exact same car and battery pack, so the chances of the 60kWh one being available from Nissan is non-existent. What I suspect they might do is take all the end-of-PCPs Leafs which have no home and fit 30kWh or 60kWh packs to them in order to make their money back. Bit like Apple offer "refurbished" iPhones.

It's one fatty or two slimer models.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
lol. One of those slimer folk I guess. :D

It's this new crappy laptop keyboard with super slim keys. The shift key barely works and the others are hit n miss :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts