Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting nearly 6 weeks for the quote, SSEN have stated that it'll take 6 months to add 20m of overhead cable to my neighbors house. This is hilarious

So how long did it take for your connection to be un-looped?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
There's nothing like a privatised local monopoly for efficiency. Is the excuse Covid or BREXIT? :mad:

In a similar situation with a telephone wire a tree branch fell on the offending cable and it was replaced in 24 hours whereas the wait to replace it for sub-Mb connection speeds was in excess of three months. Clearly if the wire doesn't exist a different strategy is necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason given, I'll quote the letter

"How long will it take?
It typically takes us 6 months to complete a connection offer of this type, from the date acceptance is
received. This date relates only to the Distribution Works required to provide the Connection, where
applicable, and does not account for any Transmission Works that may be required."

I wonder how many years they'll be quoting from 2025 on wards 😂

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
In February 2013 I signed a contract with SSEPD (what is now SSEN) for them to move an overhead cable and put it in a duct in a trench I would dig and lay for them, and they agreed to relocate an underground cable that was running across our land without consent, wayleave, easement or whatever. I had to pay the fee upfront (around £3.5k). They eventually got around to doing the work in late August, and only then because I had our ground works guy dig their illicit cable up and sent them a photo of it saying it was in the way and if they didn't come and move it immediately we'd just pull it off their pole (it was a run of 95mm² three phase wavecon, so would have made a fair old bang if we'd done this). Within 24 hours of me emailing their depot with a photo of their cable draped across a digger bucket they were on site and working. Must have concentrated their minds, perhaps.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Just found a photo of their offending cable, but can't find the one I emailed to them. The denied all knowledge that they'd ever laid this, there was no marker tape, cable protection etc, and it went in a sweeping curve across our land. Wasn't even buried anything like deep enough, either. It ran up that pole by the side of the lane to a pot joint at the top, so our plan was to pull the whole lot off the pole and try and shift it away from where we needed to excavate:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
Just found a photo of their offending cable, but can't find the one I emailed to them. The denied all knowledge that they'd ever laid this, there was no marker tape, cable protection etc, and it went in a sweeping curve across our land. Wasn't even buried anything like deep enough, either. It ran up that pole by the side of the lane to a pot joint at the top, so our plan was to pull the whole lot off the pole and try and shift it away from where we needed to excavate:

View attachment 147928
Are you sure it wasn't connected to a grow house/bitcoin farm up the road? ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
So much of this stuff going on. If it's not on plans and isn't safe they have to remove it on demand surely ?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't connected to a grow house/bitcoin farm up the road? ;)
We traced where it went, to another house up the valley. Bit of a story behind it, as according to a neighbour she came back from being on holiday and found an overhead cable had been put right across her garden, to supply the new house that was being built. She had a barney with them and they agreed to run the cable underground, across her garden, take the pole down they'd put up there and compensate her for the damage/inconvenience. It seems they didn't bother to contact the previous owner of our land, he had no idea the cable was there, as he didn't live locally and hadn't seen it go in.

So much of this stuff going on. If it's not on plans and isn't safe they have to remove it on demand surely ?
You really couldn't make up some of the antics of the utility companies. In theory they are supposed to remove illicit cables like this on demand, but in practice they are just really slow to do anything unless you give them a lot of hassle. Safety is relative - they work to different rules, so they can (and do) just lay live cables along the ground and leave them there for weeks or months. We had a "temporary" diversion laid a few years ago, when some trees brought down an old overhead LV supply. They laid a length of 185mm² wavecon along the grass verge, just lying on the ground, to provide power to a handful of houses and left it like that for well over 6 months, until they got the new poles in and ran new ABC to replace the singles that were probably over 50 years old..

·
Registered
13 Posts
6 months?
my DNO responded:
With this being a looped supply we will need to look at re-feeding the neighbouring property. We are currently allocated 12 months to complete these works.

Its a joke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mattski You have my sympathy, who’s your DNO?
Western Power (Derby). Even my sparky who sent the request wasn't impressed.
I have a 60a fuse and rang them to see if they could upgrade the fuse in the meantime and the not so helpful lady on the phone (she gave the 12 months timeframe) said it's not possible... I'm thinking how would you know without even checking.

Not sure how to deal with that. Any suggestions anyone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm waiting on SSEN to see if they will allow a rate limited charger install, then at least I'll be able to charge at home all be it slowly. I suggest writing to your MP as these companies need a kick up the backside

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
55 Posts
Very interesting reading the different policies around. My employer needed to install a charge point for our transition to electric vans and I am on a looped supply. We phoned Western Power Somerset and they arranged a survey. 2 days later I got an email saying it'll be fine as is and carry on. It has been fine so perhaps they're now going with a wait and see approach to save themselves time.

Amazingly the cable to the charge point is thicker than the cable feeding both houses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very interesting reading the different policies around. My employer needed to install a charge point for our transition to electric vans and I am on a looped supply. We phoned Western Power Somerset and they arranged a survey. 2 days later I got an email saying it'll be fine as is and carry on. It has been fine so perhaps they're now going with a wait and see approach to save themselves time.

Amazingly the cable to the charge point is thicker than the cable feeding both houses.
Is the cable to the charge point a combined power + data cable? It's apparently something you can buy now to save running 2 cable out to the charge point.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,856 Posts
That's probably because they are generally armoured cables when installed on external walls.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is the cable to the charge point a combined power + data cable? It's apparently something you can buy now to save running 2 cable out to the charge point.
Doncaster cables EV Ultra. Lots of varieties depending on what network cable you want and also whether your route is assessed as needing armour or not.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
That's probably because they are generally armoured cables when installed on external walls.

And also the construction of the incoming cable. It's usually 35mm² concentric, so just a single conductor down the centre with the outer wires (which aren't armour) being the PEN. It's thinner than 3 core 6mm² SWA, because of the way it's constructed. They use concentric because it's easier to handle and, more importantly, much easier to joint. Jointing something like SWA takes twice as long as jointing concentraic or wavecon, because the latter are designed so that the PEN doesn't have to be cut in order to get access to the cores, it can just be opened and pushed to the sides.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our unlooping took 8 months, although this was not a standard request, it was an emergency as the wiring to our meter had degraded insulation & should have been changed out some decades ago. We only found out as our electrician discovered we had no earth in our kitchen & called SSEN who came out to sort that, saw the incoming and called it in as an emergency themselves. Was originally told 3-4 weeks, but the contractors lost the paperwork, so it had to be registered again after I called SSEN 6 months in.

The positive was they fitted a new supply to me and my neighbour & gave us both 100a fuses. I did ask for an isolator, but contractors said no as SSEN hadn't put it on their sheet.

Still waiting for BP Pulse (have they got one??) to fit my EVSE, 2 months now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm hoping to get my first EV soon, and having read of people's troubles with a looped supply, I'm getting worried! Can anyone tell from this photo if if this is looped? Bit worried about those two cables coming out the bottom ... 😟 Thanks in advance for and help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts