Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that I grew up driving very basic ICE vehicles with a choke and windy window handles. I wondered if there might be a market for a very basic, no frills EV. So how low could the spec be to still make a very basic EV a viable vehicle?
What features would it have to have to be acceptable to you?
Some that I would say are needed are:
Disc brakes
Power steering
Height adjustable drivers seat with manual back rest adjustment for driver and passenger
All the other legal requirements for a car
Heater
Rear demister
I suppose I'm looking for the Dacia Sandero of EVs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dacia are working on one....

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
You're missing the most expensive part of the BOM - the battery.

How big do you want that to be, because that's going to be disproporitionate to the rest of the parts.

I already own a dirt cheap EV - it's got two wheels and a bell. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,943 Posts
Steering wheel reach adjustment.
Full LED headlights as Halogen are just crap in comparison.

The Zoe 40 but with decent headlights and a working heater is basic but functional. No point in a car you can't remote pre heat or cool either.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
E-Up!

Reactions: TiJayFLY

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
166 Posts
I very nearly bought a Sandero 5 years ago. In terms of comfort and features, it looked like it had come straight out of the early 90s, and reminded me of my first car F-reg Metro.

I don't know about sales figures, but judging by what I see out on the streets, not many people were tempted by the base model. (White only, windy windows, no central locking, no radio etc.)

In an EV, the no-frills approach would be even less rewarding. Given how much of the cost is made up by the batteries, the couple of grand you might save by chopping out all the creature comforts wouldn't make a massive difference to the total price, I guess.

£10k > £7k for a petrol car is noteworthy. £29k > £26k for en EV is not so much, and who wants to spend £26k on a car and have to wind their own windows up?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The base models often there as an advertising gimmick to get you in the door. £8995 gets you in the showroom, and then you realise you want a radio and need to step up, and the salesman can work his magic. Not many folk actually buy that entry level model. The Sandero for instance if you want any of the upgrades, you need to step up from the base model. You cant spec a radio on the base model, you HAVE to upgrade to the next tier up.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,025 Posts
I already own a dirt cheap EV - it's got two wheels and a bell.
But that’s only to save you having to walk from your Zoe to your Tesla 🤣

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
It’s to get back from the free charger near me. How do you think I can afford two EVs? :)
Great if you are fortunate enough to live in an area with decent temperatures and low annual rainfall. ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I very nearly bought a Sandero 5 years ago. In terms of comfort and features, it looked like it had come straight out of the early 90s, and reminded me of my first car F-reg Metro.

I don't know about sales figures, but judging by what I see out on the streets, not many people were tempted by the base model. (White only, windy windows, no central locking, no radio etc.)

In an EV, the no-frills approach would be even less rewarding. Given how much of the cost is made up by the batteries, the couple of grand you might save by chopping out all the creature comforts wouldn't make a massive difference to the total price, I guess.

£10k > £7k for a petrol car is noteworthy. £29k > £26k for en EV is not so much, and who wants to spend £26k on a car and have to wind their own windows up?
Most cheapscates (like me) choose instead to buy a 2nd hand version of a more expensive car.

For example, a LEAF24 can be had in top spec and reasonable miles for > £6k. That has most creature comforts and safety features, and will undercut any new car (not Quadricycle), let alone a BEV.

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
Great if you are fortunate enough to live in an area with decent temperatures and low annual rainfall. ;)
Well, I also have a weird genetic mutation where my skin is waterproof.

But the rain is warmer near me, yes. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
We had a look at a Sandero and a Duster a few years back.

The compromise wasn't worth it. It's the little things that mattered. The Duster had a screw on the centre tunnel just where my knee rested. It might seem like a small thing, but you just know a car that's spent more time being developed would avoid such daft inconveniences.

The Sandero electric windows didn't have a way of turning them off from the drivers window controls. Again - what a ridiculous thing to skimp on - it immediately rules out the car for young families.

In the end we bought a Peugeot for exactly the same amount - but with much better equipment, and care to detail in it's design.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
166 Posts
It's amazing what counts as 'essential' these days! Air con? Rear electric window cutout switch? Crikey.

All nice to have, but if I was in the market for a no-frills car - which I might be at the right price - I think I could forego stuff like that.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
You could quite easily sell me an electric version of an Aerial Atom. Doesn't need a roof or doors. Stick an i3 drive train in it - perfect. Not sure if they could lose all the dashboard gubbins and it would still work. I use my phone for sat nav and audio. Paid of earbuds under the helmet and you are sorted.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
It's amazing what counts as 'essential' these days! Air con? Rear electric window cutout switch? Crikey.

All nice to have, but if I was in the market for a no-frills car - which I might be at the right price - I think I could forego stuff like that.
I think the thread title is rather misleading as the OP actually asks:
What features would it have to have to be acceptable to you?
For most people here 'acceptable' is a long way up from 'basic'.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Same here, but then the typical buyer of a brand new EV is spending a considerable sum and in the overall cost the aircon is only a small part, besides for EVs I'm not sure it will be optional because it's often part of the heat-pump system used for heating the vehicle and some sort of heating is essential.

That'll be an potential change to used car ownership, currently with an ICE as they age most of the aircon systems eventually develop leaks and either require costly repairs or get left unused but in an EV the refrigerant filled heat-pump system will need maintaining.

EV bangernomics will be about finding one with either a working heat pump, or one which uses a resistance heater!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, so title should be "The most basic EV you would find acceptable" It's going to be very different for every person but what prompted me to ask was that in 2010, when my daughter got her first job, I bought her a new base model Fiat Panda for 6K. It had all the things I put in my OP + electric front windows and a sort of radio. She loved it.

I would expect many environmentally concerend younguns would love to go electric but at the mo there's nothing out there in the cheap basic bracket.. The Dacia EV could be it though so I look forward to seeing the pricing and spec

1 - 20 of 32 Posts