Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're all pretty much used to charging per kWh, and sometimes with some sort of per-session service charge.
We're kind of okay charging for time on a charger.
We're even okay with the concept of overstay charges, to prevent a charge point from being blocked.

And now, I present to you, the weirdest tariffs I've found:

• Initial £1 connection charge, followed by: £0.25 per kWh. An additional £5 will be charged if more than 25kWh are drawn
    • Penns Place, Petersfield (East Hampshire District Council)
    • No idea of the reasoning for this. It looks to be an overstay fee, but many vehicles will never draw more than 25kWh in a session, even if left connected for days.
  • Monday - Saturday 08:00 - 18:00: £0.70 connection fee & £0.17 per kWh. All other times: £0.17 per kWh. £1.00 minimum charge at all times
    • Undercroft Car Park , Crewe Library
      Clearly the 70p is there to discourage casual visitors at busy periods. You'd think that sort of thing could be handled with pay and display fees.
  • 08:00-20:00 : 3kW sockets: €0.25 per 15 minute slot, for the first hour, €4.00 per 15 minute slot after the first hour, 20:00-08:00: Free (on sockets capable of 3kW or less, no overnight discount on higher capacity sockets), requires €15 per month subscription, otherwise for non-monthly subscribers, €1.00 per 15 minute slot, for the first hour, €4 per 15 minute slot after the first hour.
    • Be'Lib , Paris, France

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Monday - Saturday 08:00 - 18:00: £0.70 connection fee & £0.17 per kWh. All other times: £0.17 per kWh. £1.00 minimum charge at all times
  • Undercroft Car Park , Crewe Library
    Clearly the 70p is there to discourage casual visitors at busy periods. You'd think that sort of thing could be handled with pay and display fees.
I used this one a while ago when meeting a friend for dinner in Crewe. Just used my Polar Plus card so not sure what they charged me! Parking is free if charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In fairness the 70p 'connection fee' in the Crewe tariff is only charged during controlled parking hours. 70p is the same cost as a 1 hour pay and display parking ticket. So there's a small benefit to EV drivers parking more than one hour. 17p a unit seems reasonable too.
its better than the old flat fee they used to charge which was never worth it for me.

Agree the other two are bonkers though!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
first one sounds like they're trying to put off someone charging something with a big battery perhaps who'd been "hogging" the charger, but doesnt seem to stop someone with a small battery car leaving it on there all day.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,871 Posts
first one sounds like they're trying to put off someone charging something with a big battery perhaps who'd been "hogging" the charger, but doesnt seem to stop someone with a small battery car leaving it on there all day.
It was done by someone with a total lack of understanding/knowledge, it was probably given to someone to come up with a plan and someone said what if they leave it connected they will suck the national grid dry.

There are so many myths surrounding EVs it is unbelievable, it is all designed to put people off getting them, the resistance to change is a powerful thing and throws some people into a right old tizz.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,871 Posts
The best site I have come across is AVDC Offices in Aylesbury, not only do they charge £8 per session but they also lock them up out of business hours, when I say they I mean the only 3 (Three) rapids for about 20 miles, not quite sure how they got away with that, the council also brags about how they have reduced their transport costs, we know we are paying for it :mad:

OLEV should ask for them to be moved (at the councils expense) so they are accessible to the public (the taxpayers)24/7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts