Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this looked like a bargain Performance Model 3. Left hand drive, but that's not a huge issue:

Then I noticed something odd about the car.

I wonder if the seller knows that the car won't get a data connection or Supercharge (or indeed destination charge) anywhere in the EU?

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I think the seller optimistically describing it as a ‘rare left hand drive model’ says they know exactly what they’re doing.

Is it a US model, and therefore won’t charge on any EU Tesla network?

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a US model, and therefore won’t charge on any EU Tesla network?
I can't say for sure, but the California plates are a bit of a giveaway. Also no front plate.

US cars don't have a Type 2 charge port so you can only really charge it at home. (I expect you could get an adaptor however).

No Chademo or CCS adaptor is available for the M3.

Roaming won't work so the whole infotainment system is junk.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not in the market for one so it doesn't matter to me. Would £45k for a 2018 model be that competitive, regardless of which side the steering wheel's on? Sure, the mileage is low but that means it's sat around unused for a long time, which to me is worse than sensible moderate use.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
It would have to be a lot cheaper than that to put up with the limitations of a U.S. car in the U.K.

Lovely looking car though!

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not in the market for one so it doesn't matter to me. Would £45k for a 2018 model be that competitive, regardless of which side the steering wheel's on? Sure, the mileage is low but that means it's sat around unused for a long time, which to me is worse than sensible moderate use.
This car is for sale in the UK. See my points above.

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would have to be a lot cheaper than that to put up with the limitations of a U.S. car in the U.K.

Lovely looking car though!
Interesting question - what is it actually worth?

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I guess that will vary person to person, how they’d use it and how long they were planning to keep it etc.

LHD doesn’t put me off, but the charging compromises would, and maybe the infotainment issue as well although I don’t know what I’d be missing.

So, for me, the price would need to start with a 3 before I’d likely consider something like it. Even then, I’d have to really want it over a std UK spec M3.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Good question. I don't know what a LHD M3 is worth in Europe but in general LHD cars don't seem to be at much less value when in the UK, perhaps because of the number of people that travel to the continent regularly. The main issues appear to be:
  • US model so no support from Tesla UK for service or parts
  • Lack of access to Tesla charging network
  • Lack of roaming features
  • Unusual charging connector
Everyone has their own cost for these, I'd put it at less than £10k off its "normal" value with the majority relating to the first point.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I can't say for sure, but the California plates are a bit of a giveaway. Also no front plate.

US cars don't have a Type 2 charge port so you can only really charge it at home. (I expect you could get an adaptor however).

No Chademo or CCS adaptor is available for the M3.

Roaming won't work so the whole infotainment system is junk.
According to this, the Chademo adaptor is availabe for a M3

Still pretty pointless though. Also no DAB.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I imagine that if you lived on a US military base, you might be interested in this?

Otherwise it might be worth a few quid for the battery + spares.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I contacted the seller and asked if there were any charging restrictions. Here's the reply.

"The only variation is it doesn’t have a super charger for the battery just standard charge. Otherwise all the same"

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I contacted the seller and asked if there were any charging restrictions. Here's the reply.

"The only variation is it doesn’t have a super charger for the battery just standard charge. Otherwise all the same"
Ask for a picture of the charge port.

It may not even be enabled for three phase charging.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts