Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Somebody should have explained Regen Braking to them before they took the car out..it's a different technique entirely..also-The Yaris Hybrid as competition? really? Can it even drive in EV mode or have a plug?

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
Somebody should have explained Regen Braking to them before they took the car out..it's a different technique entirely..also-The Yaris Hybrid as competition? really? Can it even drive in EV mode or have a plug?
Yes! Up to 31mph! Or with a super careful right foot the "hybrid" mode will stay electric up to 46mph. Power in either or hose modes is only about 20hp, and there's only about a mile of EV range available (and then the engine will fire up and sound pretty grumpy until the hybrid battery is recharged)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Pretty dumb argument that a 100 mile range is no use if you live somewhere like Gloucestershire. I don't recall everywhere being more than 50 miles from the nearest place in the county. That's the beauty of an Aston Martin though, you can literally go anywhere you like! You should buy one of those instead.

·
Registered
296 Posts
.. That's the beauty of an Aston Martin though, you can literally go anywhere you like! You should buy one of those instead.
Not necessarily ... ! I have been fortunate to have the use of an Aston DB9 for 3 months (was a replacement car whilst insurance work took place after a non-fault accident in another car!) and I was lucky to see 225-250 miles in general use, but at a ridiculous 12mpg and £100+ to fill up it soon became really really annoying. Worst still was an Ariel Atom .. that gave me major range anxiety after just 80-90 miles. There's plenty of high-end exec 'sports' cars that have LESS cruising range than a Tesla Model S, but do you ever hear car reviewers going on about it ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, don't worry - I was being sarcastic :) I'd imagine being a Top Gear presenter something like an Aston is the only acceptable manly way to get around a county like Gloucestershire!

I have to ask though - what kind of insurer gives you a DB9 or an Atom as a replacement car?! I've driven the standard 2.0 VTEC Atom around Donington and it was insane, I really can't imagine having one on the road especially as a loaner whilst my own car was being repaired!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Pretty dumb argument that a 100 mile range is no use if you live somewhere like Gloucestershire. I don't recall everywhere being more than 50 miles from the nearest place in the county. That's the beauty of an Aston Martin though, you can literally go anywhere you like! You should buy one of those instead.
I live in Gloucestershire and I have to say that the argument is very silly indeed.

Within a few miles of my home in Cheltenham for rapid chargers alone we have

4 units at Gloucester Services
1 unit at Wessex
1 unit at The Racecourse
1 unit at Cheltenham Spa station
1 unit at Q hotel

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yes but were they there in January 2014 when that was written ?
I live in Gloucestershire and I have to say that the argument is very silly indeed.

Within a few miles of my home in Cheltenham for rapid chargers alone we have

4 units at Gloucester Services
1 unit at Wessex
1 unit at The Racecourse
1 unit at Cheltenham Spa station
1 unit at Q hotel

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, don't worry - I was being sarcastic :) I'd imagine being a Top Gear presenter something like an Aston is the only acceptable manly way to get around a county like Gloucestershire!
you mean like ones that live near Chipping Norton ?!?

I have to ask though - what kind of insurer gives you a DB9 or an Atom as a replacement car?! I've driven the standard 2.0 VTEC Atom around Donington and it was insane, I really can't imagine having one on the road especially as a loaner whilst my own car was being repaired!
Was a policy with Zurich for another fast'ish car I owned. The accident was non-fault and the wording said they would provide a replacement car of similar performance. They provided a list of available cars that they would rent from a hire company and I picked the DB9. It turned out to be all very nice and twee and a great "gentlemans express" etc etc .. but I soon discovered that it was a case of a big engine bolted to a chassis from the 70's and that it had the potential to make a big hole in the scenery at the first bend. Basically it was a good looking car but without the performance that its look suggest. But theres more to this story .. after a month just about everything on it packed up, so they provided me with another car list and I chose a 911 Turbo manual. That that turned out to be a very used example and sounded like a bag of spanners low down. Performance wise it only really got going above 100mph, right into licence loosing territory.

As for the Atom, I bought one after seeing a certain J.Clarkson getting his face distorted on a TG review. Not much fun on a road. Absolutely mental on a track :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
As for the Atom, I bought one after seeing a certain J.Clarkson getting his face distorted on a TG review. Not much fun on a road. Absolutely mental on a track :D
I tend to prefer fast bikes to cars, so I tend to lean toward sportscars which are more minimal and pure, like the Atom and 7. If I had the cash to have just a track-only car I'd love an Atom, but I could never entertain one on the roads. Same for big bikes - after years of biking I'm now running a 125 around the place, it's an awful lot of fun - and every so often I'll go and ride a Fireblade around Donington for some high-speed thrills. There's nowhere on the roads now I'd feel remotely safe on such a powerful machine, which is why I choose to cruise around serenely in a quiet, civilised EV :)

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
There's plenty of high-end exec 'sports' cars that have LESS cruising range than a Tesla Model S, but do you ever hear car reviewers going on about it ?
Exactly.

I remember having the use of a new Mercedes CL600 (6 litre V12) that would return about 4 mpg if driven with only a little enthusiasm. The best I could ever coax out of it was about 14 mpg driving very carefully. 14 mpg is bordering on criminal, but 4 mpg!?! Nice to drive and I was glad I wasn't paying for the fuel, but it was shocking. A 10 mile return trip to town and back would be getting on for 3 gallons or £15.

And people take the p*** out of us EV drivers? o_O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts