Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kona 64 kw range approximately 250 miles which can be adequately managed by my home charger
What is my best option for the 4 longer journeys I may do a year? I’m looking for a pay as you go system rather than the monthly subscription
Any have any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
225 Posts
Short answer: just use Instavolt and your debit/ credit card. 35p/ kWh.

Long answer, you could scope out some cheaper or more convenient chargers on ZapMap, and check nearer the time that they are working. But if it's only a few journeys, it's not worth the pain of setting up three million accounts with other providers and arsing about with apps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just checked a journey that I do from time to time on the basis of using Instavolt. SW London to Bamburgh in Northumberland. Not one Instavolt on the 2 routes suggested by Zap Map. I did find some when I adjusted the route to include Instavolt chargers within 10 miles of route. Just something to be aware of, I guess.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Engenie is also contactless debit card as are a few others.

As always, a quick check of the route you plan to use to see whats available is sensible.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
225 Posts
I just checked a journey that I do from time to time on the basis of using Instavolt. SW London to Bamburgh in Northumberland. Not one Instavolt on the 2 routes suggested by Zap Map. I did find some when I adjusted the route to include Instavolt chargers within 10 miles of route. Just something to be aware of, I guess.
I don't find the route planners very helpful on Zap Map or ABRP, mainly because I don't want the algorithm to choose charger A when charger B is round the corner and next to a Greggs ;-). I tend to use ABRP to work out where I will need to charge, and then Zap Map to find a bunch of chargers that have the facilities/ price/ network I'm looking for.

To be honest, if you've decided to use Instavolt you can ignore Zap Map entirely and just check out the Instavolt website for suitable locations.

Living in Newcastle with frequent trips up into Northumberland and parents in London I know this route well.
Plenty just (as in 2 min) off the A1/ M1, although the London end is admittedly a bit sparse. Morpeth, Birtley, Rotherham, Barlborough, Markham Vale, Markham Moor, Northampton. More on the A19, and more within 10 min There's also an install going in just north of Newcastle at the racecourse which will be an excellent location. Barely 1 min off the A1. Costa, Greggs, McD, Subway and a decent sized Co-op mini market.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
495 Posts
If you can find a destination with a charger then arriving and plugging in as if you are at home is a fabulous experience. It means any journey chargepoints only need to be top up to get you there. Once arrived you'll end up fully charged by next morning and possibly at no cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts