Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago, I knew my circumstances would be changing reducing the driving I would be doing.

So the first thought was, maybe I can make a change to electric?

After reading multiple posts on forums, I decided to just go for it. I do not have a home charger as I live in a flat with no possibility of even getting on installed, My gym has a Polar charger (Which I have a membership for), also a few local supermarkets have chargers 1x is a Rapid Charger. I then also have slow chargers in a few public car parks and if all else fails Ionity at the services 10mins down the road.

A few people on forums told me it would not work out more cost-efficient using a public charge network, than with my ICE car. I have a BMW M340i so it used to cost around £70 for a 300miles tank full.

I have now lived with my Kia Soul EV for 2 weeks and loving every moment. So if anyone has any questions on EV ownership when you cannot have a home charger I am happy to help with my little knowledge! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Perhaps the advantage for me is that in Scotland the "free" charge scheme was extended till 2023 (I believe) I just got myself RFID card from Chargeplace Scotland for the cost of £20 quid a year and I can use any charger owned by them for free. Over a 1000 by the last count. Majority of them are low 7kW but more and more 22kW or 43kW are added every day.
I do have 7 different free charging points within 2 miles from my home. If I feel like I need to pay I have a Polar charger with 300 yards from my front door. So far I've been using the free charger at work. recently they have installed additional 12 charging points in the car park (20 in total) so no issue with charging at all. I guess this is one of the perks working for the local council 😄 😇

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
Obviously I don't know your flats. I live in first floor flat and was able to get a charger installed because we have both suitable private parking and I was able to get written authorisation from the ground floor flat owner on whose wall my charger is fitted. (Getting written authorisation was necessary not only for peace of mind but also for the OLEV grant application.)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I took the same plunge 5 years ago with a 22kWh Zoe and a lackluster infrastructure (albeit my commute was about 20 miles/day in total); the alternative would have been a Polo, but it lost because of price. I never ran out of electricity and the price I paid for electricity was minuscule.

How things have changed today in terms of infrastructure in my area.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Perhaps the advantage for me is that in Scotland the "free" charge scheme was extended till 2023 (I believe) I just got myself RFID card from Chargeplace Scotland for the cost of £20 quid a year and I can use any charger owned by them for free.
Not wanting to spoil your fun but not all CPS chargers are free. Many council areas in Scotland now charge around 25p/kWh across all their rapid chargers, but that is a reasonable price for a rapid charger compared to some of the other commercial networks.

In some areas there is a mixture - for example in North Lanarkshire where I am most are still free but some (for example Maxim park) are charging for use despite free chargers on the same network being present within a couple of miles. (Newhouse)

It sounds like you just happen to live in an area where all the CPS chargers are still free but that's not the case across all Scotland. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Oddly enough fife was supposed to start charging at the start of the year, but now have signs up everywhere saying the implementation is suspended until ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oddly enough fife was supposed to start charging at the start of the year, but now have signs up everywhere saying the implementation is suspended until ???
Don't quote me on that, but the word around the office coolers is that the Councillors in the last meeting were discussing 2023 as the next date....don't tell anyone, it supposed to be a secret 😎

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
just seems odd that they'd gone as far as deciding to start charging, stickering up all the rapids with signs detailing the pricing and then suddenly have rolled it back!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts