Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
7041 - 7060 of 7110 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38
34 Posts
The ONTO rental is purely to fill a "gap" between now, and "sometime" yet unknown in November when out Telsa will arrive from China, so it wen end up not taking delivery before the Tesla arrives we will just cancel the whole thing. We have a spare ICE to use but it's now worse refueling an ICE than using the UK EV charger network. Have enough diesel to last until the 5th then we want the ONTO EV just so we can relax more and laugh at the unwashed masses fighting liquid fossil fuels.
I think you will have missed it, as I drove past loads of petrol stations all had both diesel, petrol and some had LPG and no queues,, even drove past an empty Hydrogen Refuelling station.....

And I hope you don't need the NHS or emergency services with an attitude like that as they all need fuel to get to work and drive the vehicles that help people, if they are struggling to get fuel....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you will have missed it, as I drove past loads of petrol stations all had both diesel, petrol and some had LPG and no queues,, even drove past an empty Hydrogen Refuelling station.....

And I hope you don't need the NHS or emergency services with an attitude like that as they all need fuel to get to work and drive the vehicles that help people, if they are struggling to get fuel....
They should all go electric , immediately. No excuse, sell a kidney if money is tight.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I think you’ll be disappointed with the delivery experience too 😆 contract guy who delivered my model 3 had his entire family trailing in a Ford Fiesta behind him, “handed over” the car (dumped it in a loading bay) then asked if the however-many-kids stuffed in the back of Fiesta could use my bathroom.

Which was awkward as I had the car delivered to a building I’d recently moved out of (didn’t want to confuse things by changing address), but I think the reception guy let them in to the offices or something.

Maybe your car isn’t being delivered cos one of the delivery guys’ kids sneezed so the entire class has a week off now, or whatever “reason” some people are still finding to not turn up to work these days 😉

I think someone else on here also had their delivery guy insist on a lift back to the train station in the car he’d just delivered, at the height of the pandemic.

Good luck 😁

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
809 Posts
Is it still contact-free delivery? (Not sure if it's still the case now they offer keys.)

In that case, the best way to handle such things is by being out!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Is it still contact-free delivery? (Not sure if it's still the case now they offer keys.)

In that case, the best way to handle such things is by being out!
If you specifically ask for it to be contact free they'll do it if you have a genuine excuse like a weakened immune system, shielding, isolating etc. They'll have you hold up your license to the window for them to verify your ID, post the keys through the letterbox, and email you a copy of the condition report that you need to agree with then they'll be on their way.

If you're actually out, as in not at home then best case scenario you get the car minus the key. Worst case they return the car back to base.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
809 Posts
I never understood the licence / condition report bit.

Pre-covid, you would just walk up to a swap point and pick it up like a car club. I guess it's the delivery company covering themselves. Never sign anything you don't have to, that's my principle. It's always for somebody else's benefit!

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38
34 Posts
I think you’ll be disappointed with the delivery experience too 😆 contract guy who delivered my model 3 had his entire family trailing in a Ford Fiesta behind him, “handed over” the car (dumped it in a loading bay) then asked if the however-many-kids stuffed in the back of Fiesta could use my bathroom.

Which was awkward as I had the car delivered to a building I’d recently moved out of (didn’t want to confuse things by changing address), but I think the reception guy let them in to the offices or something.

Maybe your car isn’t being delivered cos one of the delivery guys’ kids sneezed so the entire class has a week off now, or whatever “reason” some people are still finding to not turn up to work these days 😉

I think someone else on here also had their delivery guy insist on a lift back to the train station in the car he’d just delivered, at the height of the pandemic.

Good luck 😁
My delivery was really good, the lady who delivered it went through everything, and I felt sorry for her having to get the train back to Bristol from darkest South Yorkshire...

Just make sure you walk round the car and point out anything wrong, just like going to a car hire place....

·
Registered
346 Posts
The delivery experience I had was excellent, the chap turned up on time (having phoned ahead), did the stuff he needed to do quickly and was on his way. I offered him a lift to the station because I’m not a complete knob, but he declined.

Some people need to get some sense of perspective, it’s no wonder there’s a driver shortage with the way people view/treat them.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Good and bad service providers, good and bad customers, like any industry. At the end of the day we need cars delivered and they need jobs. The rest is just noise.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Is there anywhere like ONTO for electric vans?

I'm moving house so would really love to have an electric van for a month or two.

When you factor in the fuel cost I imagine renting a normal van for just a few days would probably be fairly comparable to renting an electric van for a month.

Plus the added flexibility of having it for longer.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38
34 Posts
Is there anywhere like ONTO for electric vans?

I'm moving house so would really love to have an electric van for a month or two.

When you factor in the fuel cost I imagine renting a normal van for just a few days would probably be fairly comparable to renting an electric van for a month.

Plus the added flexibility of having it for longer.
The only place I have seen that does vans is the extremely expensive evrent.co.uk at a snip of £54 per day for the cheapest van :(

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
174 Posts
Been contemplating using Onto as a stopgap between my Ibiza and what's likely to be an ID.3 order. The only issue is that 1000 miles might not be enough some months with my nasty commute. I know they've said you can add on extra miles- but how much does that cost? I'm thinking of getting an ID.3 straight away or maybe saving a bit of cash and getting an Ioniq.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's relatively easy to add more miles. There are packages of miles you can add which are priced differently based on tier of vehicle.

Details here.

There are few things that aren't that clear though:

1. You can only pick one extra mileage package a month.
2. You can't add an extra package mid month.

This means you need to be relatively confident about how much excess mileage in a month you might need. The packages roll over so you could get a bigger one in your first month and then add smaller ones in subsequent months.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OK thank you @technicalfault - and if, say, I rent the car for 5 months and drive lots in the first two, but less in the last 3, and it totalled 4,800 miles but was 2400 over the first two months, would that be OK in my thousand miles a month? Or would I just add the 500 mile package in month one and then it rolls over for month two?
It's a 440 mile round trip to my parents and I'll probably do that at Christmas time, and possibly again in January. But I'm going to be in Chicago for a week and a bit end of November, so that will be a light month for driving.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Iconic
156 Posts
Or would I just add the 500 mile package in month one and then it rolls over for month two?
This. If you go over 1,000 miles in month one, without buying any extra mileage, you’ll be charged an excess fee. If you buy 500 extra miles for month one, you can then drive up to 2,500 over months one and two - and still use any excess in months three, four etc in addition to the new 1,000 miles per each of those months.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good to know! Thank you @Alnair

That certainly makes more sense. I've worked out that the Ioniq would cost me less than what I'm spending on my Ibiza right now- which certainly makes Onto a very viable stopgap option!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are the mileage packages more sensible for the lower tiers? For the e-Tron, it’s 40p/mile on a package, 50p/mile for excess mileage charges.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good to know! Thank you @Alnair

That certainly makes more sense. I've worked out that the Ioniq would cost me less than what I'm spending on my Ibiza right now- which certainly makes Onto a very viable stopgap option!
Don’t forget to use a referral code (for example cc158 ) to save £50 on your first month!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are the mileage packages more sensible for the lower tiers?
They certainly are! For the Zoe they can be as cheap as 10p/mile with the 750 miles bolt-on package.

(And that’s why you cannot use excess mileage across tiers, eg. after a swap)

Reactions: Kiltox
7041 - 7060 of 7110 Posts