Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not certain that they are laying out the Osborne Effect with full accuracy, but regardless of that, I thought there was some truth in this video, and it helped me a little bit more fully to understand my own motivations in finally buying a used Tesla - the level of disrespect for my dollars, by the auto companies, "got to me" and I decided that I couldn't give them that last victory, even if it cost me a lot of money.

length of video: 30:14
The Osborne Effect: Why Big Auto Is Lying To You | In Depth
•Jul 17, 2020

I think another principle that is helping me understand the industry as I learn a bit more about the principle is The Innovator's Dilemma and "Disruptive Innovation".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,960 Posts
VW don't seem to have suffered to badly from the Osborne Effect with the ID3 - they seem to be able to sell all the e-Golf that they want to.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,732 Posts
VW don't seem to have suffered to badly from the Osbourne Effect with the ID3 - they seem to be able to sell all the e-Golf that they want to.
They remind me of those companies that sell two types of competing washing powder.

VW sell the eGolf for those that want something conventional looking and the ID.3 for those that want new technology.

I don’t doubt they’ll make money on them in the long term.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,960 Posts
Good point. It'll be a long time before all consumers in all segments will be ready to move from ICE to BEV, for example US pickup owners. Whilst Ford are promising a BEV version of the F150 I can't see it being the top selling version any time soon if there's any truth in the ******* stereotypes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good video with some interesting ideas, however, Tesla can’t supply the whole world with EVs and as Dyson found its not that simple to build an EV from scratch and make money. There will be winners and losers determined by how they transition from ICE to EV. VW look like they could be winners having invested heavily in a standard EV subframe, BMW could be losers because they are trying to offer ICE, hybrid, EV in the same shell instead of developing a bottom up design like the i3.

·
Registered
691 Posts
They remind me of those companies that sell two types of competing washing powder.

VW sell the eGolf for those that want something conventional looking and the ID.3 for those that want new technology.

I don’t doubt they’ll make money on them in the long term.
I think that is only short term though - isn't the factory currently building eGolfs the next one to be rejigged to make ID*s?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,960 Posts
I think that is only short term though - isn't the factory currently building eGolfs the next one to be rejigged to make ID*s?
But they'll carry on making ICE Golfs for a good few years yet including various forms of hybrid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not certain that they are laying out the Osborne Effect with full accuracy, but regardless of that, I thought there was some truth in this video, and it helped me a little bit more fully to understand my own motivations in finally buying a used Tesla - the level of disrespect for my dollars, by the auto companies, "got to me" and I decided that I couldn't give them that last victory, even if it cost me a lot of money.

•Jul 17, 2020

I think another principle that is helping me understand the industry as I learn a bit more about the principle is The Innovator's Dilemma and "Disruptive Innovation".
Great share. Very hard to disrupt yourself when you're relatively successful (i.e. making a profit). Much easier when you're either on the ropes already or a new entrant / challenger brand.

This reminds me of what Steve Jobs is quoted as saying after cutting Apple to the bone when returned in the 90s. After bringing out the iMac and being told it was enough to save the company but not enough to grow it significantly against the Microsoft ecosystem, he said something along the lines of "I know. I'm waiting for the next big thing."
The next big thing was the iPod.

Maybe the eGolf and eUp etc is VW's iMac. The ID range is their iPod, IPhone, iPad, iWatch and so on. Hope so because I like VW.
Renault seem to be managing the transition well too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think Tesla have set the bar. VW have made a big commitment, PSA a little bit behind them. Nissan, Renault, Honda and BMW have dipped a toe in the water but not yet ready to commit. Ford are too busy running roadshows and focus groups about EVs to have any time left to actually make any. Toyota.......

·
Registered
752 Posts
Maybe the eGolf and eUp etc is VW's iMac. The ID range is their iPod, IPhone, iPad, iWatch and so on. Hope so because I like VW.
Renault seem to be managing the transition well too.
Meanwhile Tesla starting selling their "iphone" in 2012 with the Model S and are now on the Google Pixel 4 with the Model Y. ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts

•Jul 17, 2020

I don't think the Tesla example is the typical sort of "distruption" you see in other industries.

They are currently doing a better job than any other manufacturer with EVs, but I think that's maybe not even how it will turn out once other manufacturers get up to speed.

There's a few things that are different:

- Governments are mandating FOR the switch to EVs, whereas a typical distrupter will come across legal challenges to its new business model. This helps existing players as much as distrupters, as they take advantage of insentives.

- EVs are similar enough to current technology to enable current market players to make the switch. In the general consumer's mind, the distruptive technology also has key disadvantages. The key difference is charging infrastructure which Tesla has built out itself. There aren't too many barriers for current players for that to be a problem though.

- car manufacturering is an expensive business to get into to scale fast to compete. Tesla have almost gone out of business on a few occasions, and that's with probably the best strategy and product that's arrived so far. New entrants/distrupters will have a tough time, plenty of vapourware out there, cough Nikola

1 - 11 of 11 Posts