Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
You also need a phone signal to use the app. Some chargers have a WIFI connection which can be used if the phone signal is flaky. I would definatly make sure you try out all the possible ways to use EH when you are not desperate to charge.

Richard
I've not come across many places with a flaky phone signal, but of course that's a consideration. As far as I know, there are two ways to use the network - either using the native phone app, or the web app. Any more?

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Some of the reviews are for older versions of the app which had many problems.

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
You also need a phone signal to use the app. Some chargers have a WIFI connection which can be used if the phone signal is flaky. I would definatly make sure you try out all the possible ways to use EH when you are not desperate to charge.

Richard
They all have WiFi now. I haven't had any problems connecting since they did that.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Is it full WiFi, or just access to the EcoT server?

·
Registered
167 Posts
With all the problems shared about the app, I thought it was worth stating that it has never let me down (although not used that often). I am careful to keep the app on the screen until the charge is finished to prevent any problems in ending the charge early.

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Current version works for me too. It is very annoying that I can't use my phone while the car is charging.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Current version works for me too. It is very annoying that I can't use my phone while the car is charging.
There shouldn't be any problem using your phone while the car is charging. When you switch back to the app it will crash (if it got kicked out of memory), but just restart it and wait two or three seconds and it will go back to the charging screen.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
They all have WiFi now. I haven't had any problems connecting since they did that.
Does this also apply to the ones at IKEA? When I tried it a few weeks ago I couldn't connect to anything. Luckily a prospective EV buyer came along after about a minute to ask about charging and was kind enough to let me tether my phone to his, so it worked. I may not just have noticed something about Wi-Fi at the charger as a result. I suppose I could have gone inside the store and connected to their Wi-fi, but I don't know if I could then have activated the charge from a distance away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not, try pulling into an MSA and finding you've lost your phone, you can't charge WTF, the apps should be a convenience thing for people who want to use them not the primary method, using apps adds more layers to the process and introduces many more points of failure.
I'm fascinated by this thread. Why on earth do we have all this app stuff. Why can't I just drive up, plug in, pay by contactless card and drive off; and dead right, why do I have to stand there in the rain fiddling with the machine, when all my ICE friends have a nice cover over their fuel source. I get my coffee that way, why not my electricity. or am I just a grumpy 75 year old engineer?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
The app won't even open using beta release of Android p on pixel XL 2. Keeps crashing instantly. First app I've encountered that does this.
And the call centre assistant replied, 'Clearly it can never be the app's fault so it must be a phone problem. Buy a couple more phones and hope one of those works!'

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,610 Posts
Yeah their app is basically a compiled web app.. how the F they've managed to break it on android P I've no idea.
I would imagine the situation is more like EH changed nothing, but Google decided to change something completely random that's broken it....

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,610 Posts
Maybe, but it's the only app i have used so far which doesn't work on P...
That may be so, but it doesn't change the fact that what has changed is the operating system, not the application. You're also using a beta version of the new operating system, I notice.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The app won't even open using beta release of Android p on pixel XL 2. Keeps crashing instantly. First app I've encountered that does this.
If you have adb on a PC you can look and see if there's anything interesting in the system logs. At least that might indicate whether its a P problem or an EH issue.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts
About this Discussion
160 Replies
73 Participants
Duncan
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing