Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Vendor
1,141 Posts
The app won't even open using beta release of Android p on pixel XL 2. Keeps crashing instantly. First app I've encountered that does this.
Same thing on my Pixel2 - I wonder if it's because I'm running the beta OS?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Same thing on my Pixel2 - I wonder if it's because I'm running the beta OS?
Probably. My rule of thumb is I never install a pre-release OS on my primary devices, so my Pixel 2 will be staying on the released Android.

One of the difference BTW with Android P is that it crashes apps that aren't responding instead of showing an 'app not responding' popup. The Electric Highway app has never been exactly snappy so perhaps something has pushed it over the edge from slow into triggering the 'not responding' behaviour. Previously you might have had a popup that then goes away when the app does respond but now the app is simply killed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
P hasn't really changed much at all at the API level.. it has more agressively deprecated illegal APIs but I see no reason at all why EH would be using those.

My own app - not even tested for 2 android versions (!) ran first time and worked. As has everything else I've run.

I could understand it if it was doing low level OS stuff.. bit it's an incredibly simple app & shouldn't have issues on any version. I'm tempted to run it under the debugger to see if I can work out what they did..

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Well, Android Pie has now been officially released, and still they haven't fixed the app. They are "still working on fixing it" when this version has been out in beta for ages.
Electric Highway on Twitter

@Tony Hoyle not all developers are as fortunate as you in that their apps work without problems. I had to make changes to mine for Android P, but at least I had fixed it long before the official release.

I am now concerned because my Huawei P20 is slated to be one of their phones to have the new version rolled out:
Four Huawei devices are already being tested with Android 9.0 Pie

Will the EH app be fixed before that happens?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,617 Posts
My Huawei P Smart worked. Did the Countryman, yes, we only got 2.9 kWh out of it, but hey, every little helps.
You were lucky to get that with a car that can only charge at 3.3kW on a 43kW charger! Rapid chargers are really not meant for use by PHEVs.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
True, but that stops no one.

We were at the Eden Project the other day. Two posts for a car park that must have a thousand spaces, occupied by an Outlander and a Golf GTE.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,617 Posts
True, but that stops no one.

We were at the Eden Project the other day. Two posts for a car park that must have a thousand spaces, occupied by an Outlander and a Golf GTE.
The Eden project has a double-head destination charger that is perfectly suited to PHEV use, and a Rapid charger that is totally not suited to PHEV use.

I guess they were both plugged into the destination charger, which is absolutely fine.

If the Outlander was plugged into the rapid, that's kinda OK because it can at least rapid charge for 25 minutes. The problem is that no other PHEV can rapid charge, so they shouldn't be using rapid chargers.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I have absolutely no idea, it's only a couple of months old so it's running whatever daft name they've assigned to the latest version.
I believe you'll find it came with Android 8.0 (Oreo), which is the version released August 2017. It is however on the list that Huawei say will support Android 9.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Google Pixel/Pixel2 with Android 9 update - app crashes as soon as started. Issue reported to Electric Highway almost a month ago but no change so far!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
The issue with Android Pie has been reported a fair number of times. If you have not had a recent app update then there won't be any change. The version of the app on my phone (Oreo - 8.1) is 1.1.3.

(But if it crashes on startup you won't be able to check the version :()

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
The issue with Android Pie has been reported a fair number of times. If you have not had a recent app update then there won't be any change. The version of the app on my phone (Oreo - 8.1) is 1.1.3.

(But if it crashes on startup you won't be able to check the version :()
You can check the version easily even if it crashes: just go to the App Info screen for the app.

Not a lot of point checking though if you're on Android 9: no versions of the app won't crash, so just use the clockwork highway clone or the website to start charges instead.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Unlike Polar Instant, the EH app works on a Samsung Android 4. Seems one needs a separate phone for each network.

Just to add, it sems it works so well I can't exit the app to do something else! Oh well. Should you have to reboot the phone each time you use it?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Unlike Polar Instant, the EH app works on a Samsung Android 4. Seems one needs a separate phone for each network.

Just to add, it sems it works so well I can't exit the app to do something else! Oh well. Should you have to reboot the phone each time you use it?
Nope. Just one up-to-date one. :)

Android apps don't normally terminate - they just sit in the background until their resources are needed for something else. Just click on the Home button in the middle at the bottom to go back to your home screen (either a real button or a circle icon). Then fire up whatever you want.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I really can't stress it enough, just use the EH website and forget the app, it's so much simpler. If you close the page, when you go back to the "Charge" section, it picks up where you left off. All you lose is the ability to scan the QR code, you just have to type in the 4 digit pump ID by hand. Do it from your phone, your laptop, tablet, whatever you like.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts