Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Porsche Taycan is Maybe Expensive BUT Drives Like a REAL Sports Car! Here is a POV test drive... not much talk... just pure drive... Very emotional car that has it all and more.... Any of you tried the Taycan?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Not driven one, but like so many cars today, utterly wasted on modern roads. If like the driver in the video you are not going above 70 (kph?) and the roads are full of bumps, why do you want a car optomised for the Nurburgring? Instead what you have is something that is too stiff in its reaction to bumps, and all of the vast dry grip and speed potential is wasted. Where is the "sport" in driving that? Bring on fully autonomous cars, or I'll buy a LEAF/Zoe/M3 and pay someone to drive me in that for significantly less cost and damage to the environment. (n)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks a great car but not sure if there would be room for my golf clubs and trolley! Might take a look if I’m near the Reading showroom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if they want to sell it in the States it will have to accommodate a golf bag or two. I can't see the point of all that performance that you cannot hope to use if you want to keep your license. Also find I get irrationally irritated by them selling a "turbo" version. How stupid do VW think Porsche customers are that they would believe you can have a turbo on an EV?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Also find I get irrationally irritated by them selling a "turbo" version.
Model designations ceased to mean anything a long time ago, for example the D5 was originally an engine description for the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel but became a trim level irrespective of the engine, BMW engine sizes used to be the second and third number but is now meaningless.
Most people have ceased to know what it is or how a turbo works. The name is used to advertise razors. Instead the public think it means faster, so why not?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Model designations ceased to mean anything a long time ago, for example the D5 was originally an engine description for the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel but became a trim level irrespective of the engine, BMW engine sizes used to be the second and third number but is now meaningless.
Most people have ceased to know what it is or how a turbo works. The name is used to advertise razors. Instead the public think it means faster, so why not?
Always find it amusing when people pull Porsche up on this.

A Tesla Supercharger is not a supercharger but no one seems to mention this. I guess Tesla Recharger doesn't sound so sexy. And let's not get started on Autopilot !

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
Not driven one, but like so many cars today, utterly wasted on modern roads. If like the driver in the video you are not going above 70 (kph?) and the roads are full of bumps, why do you want a car optomised for the Nurburgring? Instead what you have is something that is too stiff in its reaction to bumps, and all of the vast dry grip and speed potential is wasted. Where is the "sport" in driving that? Bring on fully autonomous cars, or I'll buy a LEAF/Zoe/M3 and pay someone to drive me in that for significantly less cost and damage to the environment. (n)
You should send your chassis feedback to the Porsche engineers, they’d probably welcome it.

Oh wait, you haven’t actually driven one? ;)

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Oh wait, you haven’t actually driven one? ;)
My comments were against the concept of the car rather than the implementation. There's no point them trying to sell or give me one, I'm not interested. I have faster and better cars (for the track) and no need or opportunity to drive at the speeds it is capable of on the road. For most of the roads around here a hot hatch (let alone a M3P :p ) would be quicker point to point as the width of the Taycan is too wide for passing on the roads.
Just because it's a Porsche or electric is no reason to swoon over it.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
Just because it's a Porsche or electric is no reason to swoon over it.
With respect, just because it’s a Porsche is no reason to spout uninformed comments about the chassis that clearly somebody who knows what they’re doing spent quite a lot of time developing.

It’s sufficient to say you’re not interested or wouldn’t buy one, no need to guess what it handles like or how its suspension works.

And, a chauffeur driven Leaf/Zoe/M3 as a comparison? Lolz. Just because you’ve given up, doesn’t mean everybody else has to.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
With respect, just because it’s a Porsche is no reason to spout uninformed comments about the chassis that clearly somebody who knows what they’re doing spent quite a lot of time developing.

It’s sufficient to say you’re not interested or wouldn’t buy one, no need to guess what it handles like or how its suspension works.

And, a chauffeur driven Leaf/Zoe/M3 as a comparison? Lolz. Just because you’ve given up, doesn’t mean everybody else has to.
How close to the limits of the car did the driver get on the filmed parts of that test? Absolutely nowhere because it's designed for different conditions.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
How close to the limits of the car did the driver get on the filmed parts of that test? Absolutely nowhere because it's designed for different conditions.
How close to the limit do most cars get driven on public roads, M3 included? It’s missing the point somewhat.

Walter Röhrl sends his regards anyway...

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
849 Posts
Not driven one, but like so many cars today, utterly wasted on modern roads.
I think it's fair to say you're not Porsche's target demographic ;)

Personally I'd love one, or maybe the E-Tron GT (hopefully that'll be a hatchback like the A7).

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I think it's fair to say you're not Porsche's target demographic ;)
Too true.
Can all of you explain what "Drives Like a REAL Sports Car!" actually means in the 2020s?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
I was always a fan of Ari Vatanan anyway. :p
Stig Blomqvist fan here. That said, I admired all the 70’s & 80’s rally greats, Alén, Kankkunen, Airikkala, Toivonen, Mäkkinen, Waldegård, Salonen, Biasion etc etc.

What an era that was, and the cars were properly mad as well.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
Too true.
Can all of you explain what "Drives Like a REAL Sports Car!" actually means in the 2020s?
It’s a meaningless platitude, and click bait in this context, but any car can be sporting.

For me, it’s the thrill of driving. That can be at modest speed in an asthmatic underpowered machine as well as a point to point rocket ship.

Moat cars for me have too much grip to be much fun, even before you have nannying electronic systems that remove any adjustability of a car in a corner.

It’s what happens when cars are designed and engineered for lowest common denominator driving skill and are just ‘transport’.

I don’t like track days, my days of club rallying mean I’m forever attracted to forest and loose surface roads, and that was before most clubs were forced out of forests and onto single venue disused airfield circuits with tyres for corners. I like it on days when the rain has fallen for the first time in a couple of weeks or it’s snowy/icy. It’s fun to drive again, safely and within speed limits.

But not in the e-Golf, that’s pants. It’s excellent transport, but heck the electronic handbrake doesn’t really help in any turns, and it weighs as much as a small moon.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I worked briefly with Stig on the early Sierra Cosworth Rally car. A really entertaining Gent to work with as well as lunatic taking such a large car into the forests. Happy times.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
I worked briefly with Stig on the early Sierra Cosworth Rally car. A really entertaining Gent to work with as well as lunatic taking such a large car into the forests. Happy times.
Fantastic, I only ever met him in a driver/fan setting, but he always struck me as a friendly and humble guy. At complete odds with his character viewed when he was threading a car through some trees at high speed.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
For me, it’s the thrill of driving. That can be at modest speed in an asthmatic underpowered machine as well as a point to point rocket ship.
Absolutely. The fact that you can approach their limits is part of the fun that is absent in the UK in the faster cars.
Moat cars for me have too much grip to be much fun, even before you have nannying electronic systems that remove any adjustability of a car in a corner.
Hence why the Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86 are more fun as standard. Fantastic handling but limited power and grip.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Still, I think we can all agree this will attract a fair number of Hyundai i30 owners with its superior specs...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts