Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! For my final year project at university I am tackling the question of : To what extent does the existing public perception of electric/hybrid vehicles limit their expansion within the UK transport industry?
For this I have created an online survey to collect the results. I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't mind taking a few minutes of your time to fill out the survey. The link is below

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S7FNG8P

Thanks!

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Done, although I was no fan of the questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there,

Done - here's some feedback.

I liked the information sheet and briefing notes - very clear. Has your study been cleared by your university Ethics committee? I'd like to see that noted on the sheet.

Have you based this on a US survey? 'automotive vehicle' seems to be clunky language for 'car' !

You could have streamlined the survey for me by using routing based on previous answers - so if I say I'm a vehicle passenger who has never held a driving licence, there's no point asking me how often I drive a week.

"13. Are you aware that there are numerous different types of electric vehicle?"

That's something of a leading question - could it be phrased as 'how many types of EV are you familiar with' ?

"26. Would practicality be more important to you than sustainability and the environmental benefits?"

Again, I feel that's a leading question and one that people will find it hard to give a negative answer to because it makes them seem selfish and unconcerned about the environment!

"28. Are you aware that electric vehicles are not carbon neutral?"

Leading question. Perhaps include a definition of 'carbon neutral' before the question or check your respondents understand the term?

"29. How do you think the electricity that charges electric vehicles is produced? (You may select multiple answers)"

I hope you're going to split out the responses from people who do have an EV and analyse them separately! For those of us with EVs, the answer depends completely on where you're charging, even down to which supplier you choose at home. For non-EV owners, it may be a case of perception/assumption.

How will you be recruiting non-EV 'fans' to ensure you are surveying a cross-section of the public? I agree with andrew*debbie above, currently just recruiting from an EV-related forum is going to bias your answers massively.

I'd like to know what you eventually conclude / how many people take part? Please can you post a copy of your final findings to the forum when you've completed the project?

All the best with it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there,

Done - here's some feedback.

I liked the information sheet and briefing notes - very clear. Has your study been cleared by your university Ethics committee? I'd like to see that noted on the sheet.

Have you based this on a US survey? 'automotive vehicle' seems to be clunky language for 'car' !

You could have streamlined the survey for me by using routing based on previous answers - so if I say I'm a vehicle passenger who has never held a driving licence, there's no point asking me how often I drive a week.

"13. Are you aware that there are numerous different types of electric vehicle?"

That's something of a leading question - could it be phrased as 'how many types of EV are you familiar with' ?

"26. Would practicality be more important to you than sustainability and the environmental benefits?"

Again, I feel that's a leading question and one that people will find it hard to give a negative answer to because it makes them seem selfish and unconcerned about the environment!

"28. Are you aware that electric vehicles are not carbon neutral?"

Leading question. Perhaps include a definition of 'carbon neutral' before the question or check your respondents understand the term?

"29. How do you think the electricity that charges electric vehicles is produced? (You may select multiple answers)"

I hope you're going to split out the responses from people who do have an EV and analyse them separately! For those of us with EVs, the answer depends completely on where you're charging, even down to which supplier you choose at home. For non-EV owners, it may be a case of perception/assumption.

How will you be recruiting non-EV 'fans' to ensure you are surveying a cross-section of the public? I agree with andrew*debbie above, currently just recruiting from an EV-related forum is going to bias your answers massively.

I'd like to know what you eventually conclude / how many people take part? Please can you post a copy of your final findings to the forum when you've completed the project?

All the best with it :)

Hi!

Thank you very much for talking your time to fill out the survey and for this extensive feedback, I really do appreciate this more than you can imagine! Yes I have had this project reviewed by my universities ethics committee, the reference number at the top is there to confirm this, however I do agree that I could add that it to make it more clear.
I built this survey from scratch so I came up with all of the questions myself, the reason I didn't write car was that I am focusing on all types of electric vehicle, although cars are obviously the most widespread and known about.
Yes I completely agree that if I collect results purely from EV forums then the results will be biased, so far I have posted the survey on numerous sites and forums so that my target audience is widespread, hopefully achieving an unbiased sample of the population.
Yes I would be happy to share the final project results with you, however due to certain ethical and confidentiality codes at my university I will have to check with my supervisor when/if I will be able to do so. I will be collecting results until the end of August and my project write up isn't due in until the end of March next year so apologies if it takes some time to produce the results.

Thanks once again, I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done.

Sample bias.
Thanks!

Yes I completely agree with you, however to avoid this I have posted the survey on numerous sites and forums in order to collect unbiased results. Due to such a small population owning EV's I felt this was a great place to to gather EV owners opinions.

·
Super Moderator
12,029 Posts
Yes, this is probably a good place to find EV owners. A year from now it may not be so hard. If you include plug-in hybrids, EV sales are quickly approaching 1% of all cars sold in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
12,029 Posts
I built this survey from scratch so I came up with all of the questions myself, the reason I didn't write car was that I am focusing on all types of electric vehicle, !
At the moment EV van sales volumes are small and many of them are in fleets. Possibly the new Nissan van will change that somewhat but I don't think anyone on here has one.

Are you including pedelecs? Electric scooters? I've seen lots of places selling pedelecs, but haven't seen one on the road.

Would be interesting if you can find any BMW C evolution owners to answer your poll.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't thought of looking at pedelecs, the main focus is on cars however I will also be looking at electric motorbikes, electric buses etc....Mostly the forms of mass transport which might be the future of the transport industry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts