Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loads of mud on the road near our offices with the stupid tram has meant my car has become the dirtiest it has ever been :(

DSC_0412.JPG

First job foam canon:
DSC_0413.JPG

I waxed the car 2 weeks ago, so this actually took most of that off, so a quick going over with a wash mitt, and buffed dry:
DSC_0416.JPG

Much better :D

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You only use one bucket? :rolleyes:
No three :p Just the others are just out of shot... as are the "purple monster microfibre cloths" ;) (I hate you detailingworld)

The one thing that is a pain is the plastic trim at the base of the doors. It gets grey quite easily, I've tried various back to blacks, but probably need to spend a bit more as well as find a good wax for it.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a brush in sight, and absolutely no elbow grease... :p
ARGH a brush!!!! Nooooooooo :p

The elbow grease was invested when I applied the Collonite wax, it makes a massive difference on subsequent washes. The spray foam mixed with a little car shampoo, took almost all of the mud off. To the point I could almost have got away with leaving it like that (I've seen cars come out of the local car-wash places dirtier)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My car is just unbelievably filthy at the moment. Not sure if any of it is specific to the aerodynamics or design of the car but it seems to get dirtier than anything I've ever owned before. Within a week of being washed the rear numberplate is illegible because of the dirt. And I've never known alloy wheels get so muddy! The rears seem to get far dirtier than the fro on my car get far dirtier than the fronts; the mud is absolutely caked on!.

First world problems, I guess!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I used to be obsessed with cleaning my car, I could spend a whole day washing and polishing my car, then I'd take it out for a drive and come back dirty again ;) Yep I am also a detailing world member.

How do you dry your car, Simon?

I have a very good trick doing it !!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to be obsessed with cleaning my car, I could spend a whole day washing and polishing my car, then I'd take it out for a drive and come back dirty again ;) Yep I am also a detailing world member.

How do you dry your car, Simon?

I have a very good trick doing it !!
I'd love any tips, the Tesla is a big car when it comes to drying it :D (It also has some annoying water traps, like the edge of the rear screen)

I generally just use a silicon blade to get the worst off, then microfibre drying cloths.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car is just unbelievably filthy at the moment. Not sure if any of it is specific to the aerodynamics or design of the car but it seems to get dirtier than anything I've ever owned before. Within a week of being washed the rear numberplate is illegible because of the dirt. And I've never known alloy wheels get so muddy! The rears seem to get far dirtier than the fro on my car get far dirtier than the fronts; the mud is absolutely caked on!.

First world problems, I guess!
I've noticed the exact same thing. From the cars waist-line down it gets dirty very quickly, and the boot is almost a mud magnet.

Yes I've never noticed alloys get muddy before, but normally because the brake dust stops it getting a hold... Mud is far easier to get off :D I did wax the wheels a few months ago which helped, but they need another coat now.

My choice of colour doesn't help, but when it's shiny I wouldn't choose another colour (I'd have even paid extra for black)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You're going to love me for for this, I always tell this to anyone who is remotely interested in cleaning cars.

I use a great big Black&Decker leaf blower, it gets at every nooks and crannies, it will certainly get rid of all the water trapped in the edge of windscreen, door handles, mirrors, any gaps etc etc, and any remaining water droplets, you dab dry with your microfibre cloth. You also reducing the chance of introducing even more swirl marks on the body!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Also guilty of being a DW member, but not been on for a while. My obsession has subsided now I have a car that hides the dirt. My last two were back and white; the worst two colours.

Not tried Collonite; I know it's an old one but pretty durable by all accounts. Surprised you didn't go for Zaino. My favourite was AG HD wax...but latterly been using Opti Seal for convenience.

At the mo, I'm using UberShine to wash then drying with a microfibre and AG Aqua Wax for convenience and to keep some protection until spring when it will get a proper prep abd then some Natty's Blue wax

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're going to love me for for this, I always tell this to anyone who is remotely interested in cleaning cars.

I use a great big Black&Decker leaf blower, it gets at every nooks and crannies, it will certainly get rid of all the water trapped in the edge of windscreen, door handles, mirrors, any gaps etc etc, and any remaining water droplets, you dapped dry with your microfibre cloth. You also reducing the chance of introducing even more swirl marks on the body!
Hmm... I have a petrol Echo leaf blower, there is some irony in using an ICE to dry an EV though :D

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Also guilty of being a DW member, but not been on for a while. My obsession has subsided now I have a car that hides the dirt. My last two were back and white; the worst two colours.

Not tried Collonite; I know it's an old one but pretty durable by all accounts. Surprised you didn't go for Zaino. My favourite was AG HD wax...but latterly been using Opti Seal for convenience.

At the mo, I'm using UberShine to wash then drying with a microfibre and AG Aqua Wax for convenience and to keep some protection until spring when it will get a proper prep abd then some Natty's Blue wax
Same here, not been on the forum for a good few years now, I can't be bothered nowadays, just take it to the local hand wash.
Although I might decide to dig out my lamb wool mits once again when I have Tesla on my drive :D

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The one thing that is a pain is the plastic trim at the base of the doors. It gets grey quite easily, I've tried various back to blacks, but probably need to spend a bit more as well as find a good wax for it.
If they still sell it I always found the green gunk that Autglym used to sell was the best (bumper care or something) try that if it's still available.

Also peanut oil.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same here, not been on the forum for a good few years now, I can't be bothered nowadays, just take it to the local hand wash.
Although I might decide to dig out my lamb wool mits once again when I have Tesla on my drive :D
I would ;)

My old car just got taken to the local guys, but the paint quality on the Tesla is fantastic, I plan on doing what I can to look after it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I still have that very expensive tub of Zymol wax tucked away somewhere in my garage, wonder if it has a best before date?? :confused::D

·
Registered
266 Posts
My car is just unbelievably filthy at the moment. Not sure if any of it is specific to the aerodynamics or design of the car but it seems to get dirtier than anything I've ever owned before.

Must be something to do with the static charge of 306,000,000 joules worth of electrons on board or
1,909,901,859,000,000,000,000,000,000 electron-volts, located towards the bottom half of the car.

Perhaps the cars chassis is connected to the +ve side of the pack ..

They need to swap that around. The leakage would repel everything :D

( I know, I know, not technically correct, but hey .. )

1 - 20 of 76 Posts