Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today marks the 50/50 point - 54 days of ownership, for 27 of those days the car has been in the garage.

I've had issues with my car from day one, which I've discussed in various threads on here. The summary of the issues are in my quoted email below, along with a couple of the pictures I've sent to the dealer over the past 2 months. Essentially all the data from the computer is blank and none the systems like ACC, front assist, SOS, airbag etc work. Had we not been in lockdown, I would definitely have been a lot more persistent in getting this sorted, but I don't have to use my car much at the moment. However there has to be a tipping point where enough is enough. I will definitely need a car fully operational by the time I have to start going back to work, so have had to set a deadline of the end of this month to either get it fixed or start the process to have it replaced.
  • 30 Dec - Collect new car from dealer (with version 2.0 software installed)
  • 31 Dec - First set of error messages in car the first time I tried to drive it. The error messages started off as intermittent every couple of days after that but became progressively worse over time to the point they are now permanent
  • 3 Jan - Everything in the car completely rebooted while I was driving on an unlit country lane in the dark. Not an experience I would like to repeat! This was the first sign of a real major issue. This reboot happened 2 more times in the brief amount of time I've been able to drive the car
  • 7 Jan - Car back to garage for 2 days to fix faulty washer jet & look at errors. The car also had some issues with charging staying active but that either cleared itself up or the garage reset something
  • 8 Jan - Collected car in evening. Washer jet fixed but told that nothing has been done with the errors as they did not occur while at garage. Errors continued to reappear almost every time I drove the car myself.
  • 18 Jan - Car back to garage for 5 days to diagnose errors
  • 23 Jan - Collected car. Told that nothing was done other than reset of system log, as errors could not be reproduced enough to diagnose. Was ok for 1 or 2 days then errors came back along with reboots of system while driving.
  • 3 Feb - Car back to garage as errors continually getting worse, to the point that now every time the car is started the errors are present
  • 13 Feb - Attempted to collect car after being informed errors were resolved. Errors returned as soon as the car was started in the dealership car park. Took member of service team for short drive to demonstrate persistence of the errors, which were now worse than ever. Kept cycling around as if car was being switched on & off while in motion. Left the car with the garage.
  • 18 Feb - Spoke with garage Head of Business. He advised logging a case with VW Customer Services while his garage continue to troubleshoot with VW. Case logged & agreed to give them until the end of February to resolve the issues before starting the rejection/replacement process.
Car is still with the garage with no progress update for over a week.

I have sent Customer Services the full email thread of the issues I've had and conversations with the garage, including photos and videos of the issues. I am now waiting to hear back from them...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas Auto part Gadget Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive design

My email to VW:

RE: Case Reference xxxxxxx (Registration xx70 xxx)

Since the first day after collecting my ID.3 1st Edition, I have experienced many issues with system errors and reboots. The below email chain includes full details of the issues I have experienced, hopefully giving enough detail to record against my case.

In summary of the below long email discussions, the primary issue with the car is that the computer system has had multiple failures and error messages which started as intermittent but have been getting progressively more regular to the point that they are now present every time the car is started. The most impactful of these issues are: No info for all of: odometer, available range, state of charge, clock, outside temperature and all driving data missing. Cruise Control offline. SOS system offline. Front assist offline. The car does still drive and lights work but it is unclear which other systems in the car work or do not work, so I do not consider it safe to drive with so many system errors.

Points to note from the below email thread - The washer nozzle issue was fixed on the first visit, as were the charging problems. Both of those issues have been fine with no further problems.

The car has been back to the dealer three times so far to investigate the remaining issues but as yet they have not been resolved (for a total of nearly 30 days in the past 2 months and the car remains with them today). I understand from my conversations with the dealership that they have been in constant contact with VW for assistance with the issues. I would like to make it clear that I have no issue or complaint at all with the dealership. My understanding is that they have done everything they can to resolve the issues but it is unfortunate that so far they have not been successful.

As far as resolution is concerned, I am more than happy to keep the car if the issues are fixed. I have agreed that I will wait until the end of February for additional time to work towards a resolution, but if the car can still not be fixed in that timeframe I will need to look into my options to return the car to be replaced.

Please let me know if any further information is required, or any action on my side. I can be contacted on xxxxxxxx

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,619 Posts
It's already had one failed repair and with errors like that there is a good case for rejection. I'd have refused another repair and told them to replace the car with another that's not faulty or give a full refund.

Do not let it drag on beyond your deadline as it's all too easy to be nice and before you know where you are it's 6 months after purchase and nothing has changed except it's much harder to get rid of it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's already had one failed repair and with errors like that there is a good case for rejection. I'd have refused another repair and told them to replace the car with another that's not faulty or give a full refund.
I really don't want a full refund as I really do like the car when it's working. The challenge with a replacement is going to be matching the 1st Edition spec with another car.

Do not let it drag on beyond your deadline as it's all too easy to be nice and before you know where you are it's 6 months after purchase and nothing has changed except it's much harder to get rid of it.
I have set the deadline on the phone and by email with both VW Customer Services and the Head of Business at the dealership. I think two months is plenty of time for them to have had to fix it, so I'm 100% sticking to that date. I also first engaged them within 24 hours of collection of the car and many many emails in the first 30 days with photo and video evidence of the issues, so I am within the first 30 days for the rules around rejection of a vehicle without needing to pay for any wear and tear. It's also been with them for half the time I've "owned" it, so only with me for 27 days anyway...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,458 Posts
I really don't want a full refund as I really do like the car when it's working. The challenge with a replacement is going to be matching the 1st Edition spec with another car.

I have set the deadline on the phone and by email with both VW Customer Services and the Head of Business at the dealership. I think two months is plenty of time for them to have had to fix it, so I'm 100% sticking to that date. I also first engaged them within 24 hours of collection of the car and many many emails in the first 30 days with photo and video evidence of the issues, so I am within the first 30 days for the rules around rejection of a vehicle without needing to pay for any wear and tear. It's also been with them for half the time I've "owned" it, so only with me for 27 days anyway...
I think you’ve been more than fair and very patient with them to be honest, I’d have been looking for redress before now to be honest.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,625 Posts
The challenge with a replacement is going to be matching the 1st Edition spec with another car.
Ignoring the special badges can you not purchase a new catalogue model specced up to greater spec for less? I'm wouldn't normally suggest taking advantage of price changes but as the car is clearly a lemon I'd suggest getting your money back and start from scratch unless you'll be significantly worse off, in which case I'd pursue VW for a swap for an equivalent car.

·
EGGY
1,653 Posts
I think I've posted this before but just in case ...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you’ve been more than fair and very patient with them to be honest, I’d have been looking for redress before now to be honest.
Had we not been in lockdown I absolutely would have been more forceful on getting to a resolution, but as it stands I really only use a car for weekly shopping right now. That being the case, I've afforded them the luxury of me being very patient...! If I was 100% certain I could have a replacement car quickly I could have been persuaded to wait longer for them to sort it out, but with the prospect of a 3 month wait for a replacement factory order, I really can't afford to put it off too much longer. With today's announcements about the UK going back to something like normal by the end of June I will definitely need to be in my own reliable car by then for work.

Ignoring the special badges can you not purchase a new catalogue model specced up to greater spec for less? I'm wouldn't normally suggest taking advantage of price changes but as the car is clearly a lemon I'd suggest getting your money back and start from scratch unless you'll be significantly worse off, in which case I'd pursue VW for a swap for an equivalent car.
This is where I'm not sure on what's going to happen. I was lucky enough to get a substantial discount on the car in December as I managed to pick up one of the heavily reduced 1st Editions on the day they started the big push to get sales completed by the end of the year. I have no idea if they are going to take that into account or not. I'm half suspecting they will try to get me to take a full refund rather than it costing them full price for a new car.

There is no car that has the same features as the 1st at the moment. The "options" that I will be insisting I keep from the 1st spec are matrix lights, keyless entry, reversing camera, alloy wheels, dual zone AC, metallic paint (and I think something else I forgot about right now). This list is basically a cross between the Family & the Tech. I think the only spec that most of that is the Max (which is a lot more expensive), but then it has the HUD & Sports Pack but still doesn't even have alloys. I don't particularly want the panoramic roof either. If/when it comes to having a discussion, I'll have to see what they can offer & I guess there will be some negotiation to be done about which options are important enough to argue about.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I've posted this before but just in case ...

I think you have yes, or at least someone did. I've read through that and others several times this month!

I already have a verbal agreement from VW Customer Services and the dealership that they will honor the full refund/replacement if it comes to me lodging the official "complaint" and starting the process in the event the car is not repaired in a timely fashion. I have timestamped photos from the day after I collected the car of the errors on the screens, which I emailed the same day to the dealership, so there is definitely no argument that the issue was present from the start.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t want to make light of your situation @Kansalis, I really don’t, and hope they sort you out to your satisfaction. 👍

If you do end up getting a replacement car though, and it has rear speakers, would you consider donating them to @loggamatt?! 😂😉
No, because I want them myself! :) Though I do have a stereo mic somewhere, I'm sure I could make a video to share the experience :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don’t want to make light of your situation @Kansalis, I really don’t, and hope they sort you out to your satisfaction. 👍

If you do end up getting a replacement car though, and it has rear speakers, would you consider donating them to @loggamatt?! 😂😉
Yes, I really do think I’m the real victim in all this...

Seriously though Kansalis, I really hope that they either finally fix it imminently or replace it with a new one so you stay in an ID.3 either way! I think if they don’t have a replacement 1st Edition left over, that sounds like a them problem, not a you problem. I would insist that it has every single feature you paid for originally, and if to do that they have to give you a higher spec version, well, sucks to be them!

I think the Family has most of the specs from the 1st edition though, doesn’t it? From memory, other than badging all it is missing is the alloy wheels? So I think a Family with the alloy wheels option ticked (which is what I have) is probably about right? Means you get a panoramic roof thrown in for your troubles, which sounds like the least they could do at this point!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Family has most of the specs from the 1st edition though, doesn’t it?
I think you may be right. I thought there was something else missing from the Family that the 1st has (apart from the wheels). I can't see it at the moment though... The Tech is closer to the RRP of the 1st, perhaps that's what I was thinking of when I was comparing them before.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
175 Posts
The 1st got the silver trim over the A-pillars and roofline, along with the decal on the C-pillars. The 'Silver Style' pack would be the equivalent for the regular cars, although the decal is different.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 1st got the silver trim over the A-pillars and roofline, along with the decal on the C-pillars. The 'Silver Style' pack would be the equivalent for the regular cars, although the decal is different.
I won't miss that, that's for sure... I was tempted to have the decals removed from my car.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
175 Posts
I quite like them personally :ROFLMAO:
Although the hexagons on the regular cars is better than the one on the 1st.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Why get it replaced at all?
If it happened with this car, chances are that it will happen with another one later in the lifecycle, when the warranty is expired.
There are a multitude of electronics issued being report with the ID.3

VAG has embarrassed itself enough with the E-Tron, now with this.
They are rushing these cars to market without doing the proper real-world testing.

Get your refund and look for an alternative.
My 2012 Nissan Leaf has never seen the inside of a garage and rarely has any hiccups. It still looks and drives like a new car.
I haven't tried the 2019 model yet but it's basically the same car with an updated interior and more driver assistance.
So far, the Leaf's reliability is second to none in the EV market and has other EV manufacturers scrambling with their PR departments convincing magazines to make people believe otherwise. Nissan should tout its reliability more, they should be proud of their achievement.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.