Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,644 Posts
It really does sound like you have a lemon there. I'd be asking about a swap to another car now. There's still plenty of pre reg and low mileage 1st edition ID3s on autotrader if you really want a 1st or go for a family with alloy wheels added

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,644 Posts
I haven't tried the 2019 model yet but it's basically the same car with an updated interior and more driver assistance.
That would be the problem with a leaf, it hasn't moved on in the last 10 years. It's just got a bigger battery.

Most of the ID3 are working with an odd issue. They're are a few lemons but that's the case with all cars and why there are rules about rejecting cars when that happens.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why get it replaced at all?
If it happened with this car, chances are that it will happen with another one later in the lifecycle, when the warranty is expired.
There are a multitude of electronics issued being report with the ID.3

VAG has embarrassed itself enough with the E-Tron, now with this.
They are rushing these cars to market without doing the proper real-world testing.

Get your refund and look for an alternative.
My 2012 Nissan Leaf has never seen the inside of a garage and rarely has any hiccups. It still looks and drives like a new car.
I haven't tried the 2019 model yet but it's basically the same car with an updated interior and more driver assistance.
So far, the Leaf's reliability is second to none in the EV market and has other EV manufacturers scrambling with their PR departments convincing magazines to make people believe otherwise. Nissan should tout its reliability more, they should be proud of their achievement.
I could be wrong, as I've never paid much attention to the Leaf as a car I might purchase - too boring, even the 'new' interior looks at least 10 years out of date, chademo is the betamax of charging standards, and the whole vibe of the car just makes it seem to really belong sitting behind a lorry at 58mph while the owner frets that a family member may be turning up the thermostat in their home or buying expensive Heinz beans instead of Tesco Value in their absence - but weren't there loads of reports of batteries failing on the Leaf and owners being hugely out of pocket having to buy new ones out of warranty? Maybe Nissan have finally fixed that, but I still see enough posts from Leaf owners on this forum talking about how many 'bars' they have left that it sounds like it was a fairly widespread issue. Certainly, I'll bet VW fix the software issues on the ID.3 far more quickly than Nissan sorted their batteries out.

Because, for the vast majority of us any issues have been software. For those who have already moved onto the 2.0 software, those issues seem to have been largely alleviated (if not eliminated entirely yet), and the 2.1 software will be here soon. A couple of people have had the comms module replaced, and two forum members in particular have had serious issues that kept their cars in at the dealer for a long time. One of them is Phlashman whose car (knock on wood!) appears to be fine now that he has the 2.0 software on it (and sounds like he's also nicely fed and sozzled on free VW apology hampers at this point).

The one car I've read about that may have to be rejected is poor Kansalis' ID.3. I'm not sure one failed car is a lot of evidence for you to base speculation that these cars will inevitably fail out of warranty on, is it?

·
Registered
679 Posts
It really does sound like you have a lemon there. I'd be asking about a swap to another car now. There's still plenty of pre reg and low mileage 1st edition ID3s on autotrader if you really want a 1st or go for a family with alloy wheels added
Yep, others may say this isn't fair play, but I think I'd be feeling inconvenienced enough by the point you've reached that I'd feel morally ok about using the situation to my own advantage. In that, I'd be pushing to get your car swapped for a Family edition (w/alloys) so that I'd at least get a free panoramic glass roof, dual-height boot floor, and wireless phone charging pad as recompense for all the inconvenience. They may spot you coming a mile off and be resistant if you go straight in and ask specifically for a Family. But I think going in and saying "I've decided to reject. I would like you to replace with a new ID.3 of the same or higher spec" will force them to put you in a Family if they can't get a new 1st Edition. And it sounds like they can't, as surely any of the 1st Editions available at this point are pre-reg already.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,431 Posts
So far, the Leaf's reliability is second to none in the EV market and has other EV manufacturers scrambling with their PR departments convincing magazines to make people believe otherwise. Nissan should tout its reliability more, they should be proud of their achievement.
I like the Leaf, I posted as much elsewhere the other day, but all cars have problems, even Leaf’s. A search for ‘Leaf Problem’ on this site will keep you going for hours.

Sure it’s a popular car, and been around a while, so it will have its fair share of issues highlighted, but I don’t know whether its reliability is ‘second to none’.

Besides, the OP purchased an ID.3, and if it gets replaced he wants another. They’re not all bad cars, it’s early days in the lifecycle of the car, the Leaf is a very established vehicle with a lot of bugs ironed out.

It’s just the way things are.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
212 Posts
WOW....I have to give you one thing. You are a very patient man...my admiration for this.
If I was in your shoes it doesn't matter how much I like the car "when it works" I will ask for my money back in full.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,431 Posts
I could be wrong, as I've never paid much attention to the Leaf as a car I might purchase - too boring, even the 'new' interior looks at least 10 years out of date, chademo is the betamax of charging standards, and the whole vibe of the car just makes it seem to really belong sitting behind a lorry at 58mph while the owner frets that a family member may be turning up the thermostat in their home or buying expensive Heinz beans instead of Tesco Value in their absence
😂😂 Ouch! You’re a cruel man loggamatt, but your observation did make me chuckle.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Why get it replaced at all?
If it happened with this car, chances are that it will happen with another one later in the lifecycle, when the warranty is expired.
There are a multitude of electronics issued being report with the ID.3
As others have posted in this thread, all manufacturers have issues. Nissan is no exception to this. I've been driving VAG cars since 2005 and honestly have never had a single problem with one of them until now. I've had a Fabia vRS, Octavia vRS, an e-Golf then the ID.3 all from new. None of the previous three cars ever went to a garage other than for annual servicing. That's quite a good track record in my opinion. Unfortunately I got a lemon this time around, which will get sorted one way or another. My car clearly had a hardware fault from build, there's no way the issues are purely software related. I'm quite confident that there is not a fundamental flaw in every ID.3, with the possible exception of under-developed or rushed hardware in the early build cars. After all, my son got his Life the same day as me and his has been 100% fine...

They may spot you coming a mile off and be resistant if you go straight in and ask specifically for a Family. But I think going in and saying "I've decided to reject. I would like you to replace with a new ID.3 of the same or higher spec" will force them to put you in a Family if they can't get a new 1st Edition. And it sounds like they can't, as surely any of the 1st Editions available at this point are pre-reg already.
I definitely wouldn't want a pre-reg 1st. I think the hardware revisions in the early build 1sts may be questionable. I also didn't particularly want a 1st for the branding. I bought it for the spec, I could care less that it says 1st on the side and has gimmicky play/pause pedals. I don't really care what the model I end up with is called, so long as it has the spec items I want on it. If I end up with rear speakers because a Tech is the easier option, then so be it! 🤭

There's also the chance that any pre-reg cars out there at the moment may have been returned/rejected by others for similar issues that have been eventually fixed... The dealerships just keep plugging away at rejected cars until they get them working, then re-sell them as if nothing happened. If nothing else this experience has opened my eyes to the potential history of "low mileage, nearly new" cars for sale.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If I end up with rear speakers because a Tech is the easier option, then so be it! 🤭
Haha... well, I'm not sure if the forum is ready for a plot twist like this from me... but, if VW offered to let me swap my Family for a Tech (with rear speakers) for free, I'd keep the Family. My reasoning is that I'd rather have the panorama roof and dual-zone climate than the extra semi-autonomous driving features. And I'm keeping the faith that one day either a VW-approved or a 3rd party way to add rear speakers to the car will present itself to me.

Though, I haven't gone through the spec sheet for the Tech in detail, so perhaps there are other added features I'm forgetting that would swing it the other way.

But yes, I totally agree that getting a pre-reg as replacement isn't acceptable. If they give you a new one, Family (w/alloys) is the cheapest trim that replaces all the features of your 1st edition. Tech replaces most but not all of them and gives you different features (speakers, semi-autonomous driving stuff) that your 1st doesn't have, which may be preferable to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could be wrong, as I've never paid much attention to the Leaf as a car I might purchase - too boring, even the 'new' interior looks at least 10 years out of date, chademo is the betamax of charging standards, and the whole vibe of the car just makes it seem to really belong sitting behind a lorry at 58mph while the owner frets that a family member may be turning up the thermostat in their home or buying expensive Heinz beans instead of Tesco Value in their absence - but weren't there loads of reports of batteries failing on the Leaf and owners being hugely out of pocket having to buy new ones out of warranty? Maybe Nissan have finally fixed that, but I still see enough posts from Leaf owners on this forum talking about how many 'bars' they have left that it sounds like it was a fairly widespread issue. Certainly, I'll bet VW fix the software issues on the ID.3 far more quickly than Nissan sorted their batteries out.

Because, for the vast majority of us any issues have been software. For those who have already moved onto the 2.0 software, those issues seem to have been largely alleviated (if not eliminated entirely yet), and the 2.1 software will be here soon. A couple of people have had the comms module replaced, and two forum members in particular have had serious issues that kept their cars in at the dealer for a long time. One of them is Phlashman whose car (knock on wood!) appears to be fine now that he has the 2.0 software on it (and sounds like he's also nicely fed and sozzled on free VW apology hampers at this point).

The one car I've read about that may have to be rejected is poor Kansalis' ID.3. I'm not sure one failed car is a lot of evidence for you to base speculation that these cars will inevitably fail out of warranty on, is it?
mine was rejected too, got most of my money back.
Will stick to my PHEV for now, until EV's are fit for purpose.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fair enough! Was that due to hardware failures or software issues though, or did they not diagnose it?

I'm not sure I'd give up on all EVs though just because you had a bad ID.3 experience! Other EVs are available (Leafs, for example, if you enjoy reading the backs of lorries ;) )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fair enough! Was that due to hardware failures or software issues though, or did they not diagnose it?

I'm not sure I'd give up on all EVs though just because you had a bad ID.3 experience! Other EVs are available (Leafs, for example, if you enjoy reading the backs of lorries ;) )
They thought it was software but they never managed to fix it despite 2.0 software upgrade, so could have been hardware after all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
But yes, I totally agree that getting a pre-reg as replacement isn't acceptable. If they give you a new one, Family (w/alloys) is the cheapest trim that replaces all the features of your 1st edition. Tech replaces most but not all of them and gives you different features (speakers, semi-autonomous driving stuff) that your 1st doesn't have, which may be preferable to you.
All the options are in "packs" rather than being available separately, which is either a genius ease-of-manufacture and upselling scheme by VW or just a customer annoyance (depending on your point of view).

The Tech does have the panoramic roof as it's part of the "Design Pack Plus", which is the pack that the Matrix lights come with. So I'll end up with the roof whether I want it or not (which I don't, particularly). If I'm given the option I would would forgo the 2-zone climate from the Family in favour of the speakers & autonomous stuff on the Tech. Nobody mention the HUD, because that's one thing I really do want but I'm not going to make a thing of it & make it sound like I'm angling for a Tech upgrade...

·
Registered
679 Posts
All the options are in "packs" rather than being available separately, which is either a genius ease-of-manufacture and upselling scheme by VW or just a customer annoyance (depending on your point of view).

The Tech does have the panoramic roof as it's part of the "Design Pack Plus", which is the pack that the Matrix lights come with. So I'll end up with the roof whether I want it or not (which I don't, particularly). If I'm given the option I would would forgo the 2-zone climate from the Family in favour of the speakers & autonomous stuff on the Tech. Nobody mention the HUD, because that's one thing I really do want but I'm not going to make a thing of it & make it sound like I'm angling for a Tech upgrade...
Oh, fair enough! I didn't realise the Tech had the glass roof. Though, I'll say, I wasn't particularly fussed about it either before I bought it, but now I have it I love it!

But the Family does have the matrix LED lights, as does the Business I believe.

And the feature that must not be mentioned is cool, I'd forgotten about that!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I can understand why you may be generally annoyed at EVs if you had to reject one, but they're definitely not unfit for purpose. An EV is perfect for my usage scenarios and an absolute no-brainer decision for me. I don't see me ever going back to an ICE under any circumstances. My opinion of PHEVs is a lot more along the lines of your opinion of EVs I suppose. Each to their own!

They thought it was software but they never managed to fix it despite 2.0 software upgrade, so could have been hardware after all.
I've bit my tongue when speaking to the dealer so far, as they have been telling me the same thing. If it were a software problem, there would be a lot more cars around with the same issues. The problem with my car is clearly hardware with one or other of the modules (which apparently they have replaced at least 2 of already).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh, fair enough! I didn't realise the Tech had the glass roof. Though, I'll say, I wasn't particularly fussed about it either before I bought it, but now I have it I love it!
I find sunroofs or glass roofs distracting while driving in the dark, with the overhead lights always in peripheral vision constantly flashing past. I think literally my only complaint with the e-Golf was that the gloss black accent on the steering wheel was exactly the correct angle to reflect the wiper movement and passing street lights from outside directly at my face. I could just never get used to it...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I find sunroofs or glass roofs distracting while driving in the dark, with the overhead lights always in peripheral vision constantly flashing past. I think literally my only complaint with the e-Golf was that the gloss black accent on the steering wheel was exactly the correct angle to reflect the wiper movement and passing street lights from outside directly at my face. I could just never get used to it...
I probably haven’t driven it enough at night yet (due to lockdown) to know whether that’s a problem or not. Though, it does have a sun shade for the roof that I guess may prevent that happening? Maybe not though as the shade doesn’t fully black out everything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I find sunroofs or glass roofs distracting while driving in the dark, with the overhead lights always in peripheral vision constantly flashing past.
That shouldn't be too much of a problem with the ID3 as there's a motor-driven blind to hide the glass.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That shouldn't be too much of a problem with the ID3 as there's a motor-driven blind to hide the glass.
I was sure I read somewhere that there was no blind on them. It's odd that none of the videos I've seen (and I've watched a ton of them) have ever mention a blind at all, let alone that it's motorised. You'd think that would be a good thing to talk about! I suppose most of the video reviews have been in 1st Editions, so they don't have the glass roof.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was sure I read somewhere that there was no blind on them. It's odd that none of the videos I've seen (and I've watched a ton of them) have ever mention a blind at all, let alone that it's motorised. You'd think that would be a good thing to talk about! I suppose most of the video reviews have been in 1st Editions, so they don't have the glass roof.
It has my favourite of all the little touch slider controls. Embarrassed to admit I spent a fair bit of time on day 1 of ownership going “oooh... shade slides out... shade disappears...shade slides out... shade disappears... etc.” :D

21 - 40 of 110 Posts