Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was sure I read somewhere that there was no blind on them. It's odd that none of the videos I've seen (and I've watched a ton of them) have ever mention a blind at all, let alone that it's motorised. You'd think that would be a good thing to talk about! I suppose most of the video reviews have been in 1st Editions, so they don't have the glass roof.
There certainly is one on our Family but I've not told Management. She doesn't like the sun on her head, I enjoy the extra light!

·
Registered
ID3 on order
76 Posts
I’m also full of admiration for your patience with this, I know time is still flowing strangely right now but still 👏

Also a point of note with the pano sunroofs, unless VW has radically redesigned how they are implemented on the ID3 I’d be wary of them. If they are of similar design to recent Golfs and Tiguans keep an eye on the drains and periodically run a curtain wire down them. I’m getting into EV a year or two earlier than planned because of the pano sunroof issue with a late model Tiguan 🌊

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I’m also full of admiration for your patience with this, I know time is still flowing strangely right now but still 👏
Thanks (and also to the others who have said similar in here), but I'm quietly simmering in the background, believe me! My experience is generally that it's a bad idea to bite the hand that feeds you... I still have to keep VW and the dealership on my side as I do need a working car at some point. It tends to backfire if you behave poorly as a customer!

For anyone following along - I emailed the full details from my OP to both VW and the dealer on Thursday last week and I have heard precisely nothing from either party since then. You'd think someone would reach out to me with some kind of info by now or at least "we're working on it". I'm not bothering to chase them this week as it's all just more leverage for me to fall back on if required. I've given them the deadline, which I fully expect to not be met, so there's not really much they can actually do until either the car is fixed or the deadline is breached. They'll be hearing from me on Monday, that's for sure.

Also a point of note with the pano sunroofs, unless VW has radically redesigned how they are implemented on the ID3 I’d be wary of them. If they are of similar design to recent Golfs and Tiguans keep an eye on the drains and periodically run a curtain wire down them. I’m getting into EV a year or two earlier than planned because of the pano sunroof issue with a late model Tiguan 🌊
Interesting to note, thanks. I'd certainly be keeping an eye on it if I end up with the pano roof but would expect anything like that to be fully covered by warranty. What with the expected advances in EV technology over the next few years I think it's incredibly unlikely I'll be keeping the ID.3 any longer than the warranty period. There's going to be a lot of movement in the market and depreciation could be very rapid when the next big thing arrives...

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
69 Posts
Worth pointing out that the roof on the ID.3 is fixed, rather than the opening ones on the Tiguan!

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
69 Posts
No it's a valid issue! I'd certainly be more than concerned if I'd had bad experiences with the opening ones.
TBH though I've heard of issues with opening roofs of all kinds on all brands. Be that a traditional canvas convertible, simple old-school sunroof, or fancy new glass folding roof.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks (and also to the others who have said similar in here), but I'm quietly simmering in the background, believe me! My experience is generally that it's a bad idea to bite the hand that feeds you... I still have to keep VW and the dealership on my side as I do need a working car at some point. It tends to backfire if you behave poorly as a customer!

For anyone following along - I emailed the full details from my OP to both VW and the dealer on Thursday last week and I have heard precisely nothing from either party since then. You'd think someone would reach out to me with some kind of info by now or at least "we're working on it". I'm not bothering to chase them this week as it's all just more leverage for me to fall back on if required. I've given them the deadline, which I fully expect to not be met, so there's not really much they can actually do until either the car is fixed or the deadline is breached. They'll be hearing from me on Monday, that's for sure.
To be honest, I'm kinda hoping they don't fix it by your deadline and have to put you in a Family or a Tech instead. I think you being given a higher spec car than you paid for would be a fair outcome now considering all the inconvenience you've been put through!

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
212 Posts
To be honest, I'm kinda hoping they don't fix it by your deadline and have to put you in a Family or a Tech instead. I think you being given a higher spec car than you paid for would be a fair outcome now considering all the inconvenience you've been put through!
I would agree with that. If you don't ask, you don't get. After all the understanding you have show to them, it is not going to hurt to ask for a good will gesture from the VW with the support of your dealer.

·
EGGY
1,434 Posts
You'd think someone would reach out to me with some kind of info by now or at least
A letter from a lawyer tends to focus their minds, you might want to wait before you go down that route but there's a reason why there are laws governing how they operate their business and where appropriate they should be used.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
A letter from a lawyer tends to focus their minds
While the current state is frustrating, that would be quite extreme & I'm nowhere near that point. Up to now neither VW or the dealer have really done anything wrong, it's just unfortunate that they have not been able to fix my car. To be fair to them they have done what they are supposed to, by giving me a loan car all the time my own vehicle has been with them. Their communication with me could be better, but which companies have ever had 100% perfect customer service?

·
Registered
53 Posts
While the current state is frustrating, that would be quite extreme & I'm nowhere near that point. Up to now neither VW or the dealer have really done anything wrong, it's just unfortunate that they have not been able to fix my car. To be fair to them they have done what they are supposed to, by giving me a loan car all the time my own vehicle has been with them. Their communication with me could be better, but which companies have ever had 100% perfect customer service?
Maybe I'm just a troublemaker, but I'd do all communication via e-mail, with the head of VW in the UK and Thomas Ulbrich - ([email protected]) head of VW e-mobility - on CC. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Maybe I'm just a troublemaker, but I'd do all communication via e-mail, with the head of VW in the UK and Thomas Ulbrich - ([email protected]) head of VW e-mobility - on CC. ;)
Where are my rear speakers Thomas?? Thomas?? Are you listening to me Thomas?? Give me my rear speakers!!

(haha... sorry, couldn't resist. Will cease bleating on about speakers in literally every thread at some point) :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Maybe I'm just a troublemaker, but I'd do all communication via e-mail, with the head of VW in the UK and Thomas Ulbrich
Maybe a name to keep in my back pocket, but for now they haven't missed any deadlines or not done what they said they would (albeit slowly).

I've still not had any contact from them at all this week. Having to bite my tongue & not call them... Just the fact that I know nothing will change if I chase them anyway at this point. Still frustrating nonetheless! A (very small) part of me wants to just not contact them at all & see how long it takes someone to finally realise I still have their loaner Polo & my ID.3 is taking up a space in their car park.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe a name to keep in my back pocket, but for now they haven't missed any deadlines or not done what they said they would (albeit slowly).

I've still not had any contact from them at all this week. Having to bite my tongue & not call them... Just the fact that I know nothing will change if I chase them anyway at this point. Still frustrating nonetheless! A (very small) part of me wants to just not contact them at all & see how long it takes someone to finally realise I still have their loaner Polo & my ID.3 is taking up a space in their car park.
I've always found that putting the 'higher ups' in CC keeps the recipient sharp, knowing that the story might be picked up at a higher level. It might also help your case if you eventually have to reject the car.

Good luck with your case. I really hope it works out for you. It must be terribly frustrating. I'm afraid I would have gone postal long ago. :LOL:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I've always found that putting the 'higher ups' in CC keeps the recipient sharp, knowing that the story might be picked up at a higher level. It might also help your case if you eventually have to reject the car.
It's a double-edged sword. I work in a very corporate environment with a lot of politicking going on all the time. Going over someone's head (even subtly) can cause a lot more problems than it solves, believe me!

Good luck with your case. I really hope it works out for you. It must be terribly frustrating. I'm afraid I would have gone postal long ago. :LOL:
Thanks. I must say I'm very slowly edging away from definitely wanting a replacement ID.3 and closer to just saying "screw it" and taking a refund then going for a Model 3 instead... Honestly if I did more mileage in general I'd be erring on the side of the Tesla but it's a little difficult to justify the extra cost when I do around 6000-8000 miles in a normal year with no lockdown. I don't really like any of the other easily-available EVs at the moment.

Reactions: Gosub

·
Registered
217 Posts
To me you are way past the I demand ‘a new car or money back’ stage.
I personally would never buy a Tesla because Elon Musk is utterly obnoxious and it’s a poseur car. But that’s a whole different enchilada...

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
57 Posts
I probably haven’t driven it enough at night yet (due to lockdown) to know whether that’s a problem or not. Though, it does have a sun shade for the roof that I guess may prevent that happening? Maybe not though as the shade doesn’t fully black out everything.
I have driven in the dark most days when going to work and have not been distracted by reflections with the sun blind closed. I also played with opening and closing the blind in the first few days, with the slider and the voice controls:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have driven in the dark most days when going to work and have not been distracted by reflections with the sun blind closed. I also played with opening and closing the blind in the first few days, with the slider and the voice controls:)
Wait. I can close the blind with the voice controls? :unsure: :D

Well that's another 10 minutes I'm going to kill sat in the car in my driveway tomorrow!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,180 Posts
To me you are way past the I demand ‘a new car or money back’ stage.
I personally would never buy a Tesla because Elon Musk is utterly obnoxious and it’s a poseur car. But that’s a whole different enchilada...
Do you like to drive other marques of car because you don’t even know the names of their CEOs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a double-edged sword. I work in a very corporate environment with a lot of politicking going on all the time. Going over someone's head (even subtly) can cause a lot more problems than it solves, believe me!

Thanks. I must say I'm very slowly edging away from definitely wanting a replacement ID.3 and closer to just saying "screw it" and taking a refund then going for a Model 3 instead... Honestly if I did more mileage in general I'd be erring on the side of the Tesla but it's a little difficult to justify the extra cost when I do around 6000-8000 miles in a normal year with no lockdown. I don't really like any of the other easily-available EVs at the moment.
Oh, I believe you alright. I retired from a middle management position in a multi-national company. I've always believed that if your case is sound, you should be able to defend it at all levels. If one of the levels doesn't like that, well, they don't have to. They just have to do the job they are being paid to do. The only level that has the right to 'punish' me for escalation is the very top level: the CEO. In all other cases, the customer pays my wages.

I'm aware that a lot of people prefer the softly-softly approach, as do I, but when that doesn't work I buckle in and go for it. Each to their own I suppose.

I would be looking for a replacement car of equal or better trim level, pushing for an upgraded car to compensate for inconvenience suffered. Certainly not a Tesla Model 3. If that was what I wanted, that's what I would have bought.

But again, good luck with your chosen approach. (y)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts