Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the UK, it looks like CCS is becoming the rapid charger connector of choice. Although there are 158 more Chademo than CCS connectors in the UK, that difference has been reduced by 73 in the last year (according to Zap-Map). I suspect there will be more CCS than Chademo connectors in a year or so. I'm not aware of any cars with Chademo connectors that can charge at more than 50kW in the UK. How long will it be before the majority of ultra rapid chargers stop installing chargers with Chademo connectors? It presumably makes no sense to pay a premium to use a 350kW charger to charge a car that can only take 50kW. 43kW AC charger installs have now slowed down to a trickle will the same happen to Chademo in a couple of years when there are no new cars using the connector?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,415 Posts
Here in the UK, it looks like CCS is becoming the rapid charger connector of choice. Although there are 158 more Chademo than CCS connectors in the UK, that difference has been reduced by 73 in the last year (according to Zap-Map). I suspect there will be more CCS than Chademo connectors in a year or so. I'm not aware of any cars with Chademo connectors that can charge at more than 50kW in the UK. How long will it be before the majority of ultra rapid chargers stop installing chargers with Chademo connectors? It presumably makes no sense to pay a premium to use a 350kW charger to charge a car that can only take 50kW. 43kW AC charger installs have now slowed down to a trickle will the same happen to Chademo in a couple of years when there are no new cars using the connector?
The UK is using CCS because it was chosen as "the standard connector" by Europe before Brexit. IIRC, only Nissan, Lexus & certain hybrids still use Chademo.
This is the main reason why I scratched the Leaf from my shortlist when buying my first EV.
Even Nissan's next car, the Ariya, will use CCS here and Chademo in Japan.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Certainly, with AC all the new rapids here are so equipped and with loads of 22kWh chargers , Zoe's have never had it so good.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
I think with AC on cars now being 11kw and often 22kw it is possible AC might make a resurgence.

Chademo seems wounded really. I'd think the decline won't start for a few years and at some point there will be lots squabbling over CCS while Chademo chargers will be available all the time.

Perhaps someone can find a way of retrofitting CCS to an older Leaf or making some kind of adapter. It would seem a good way of extending the natural life of the earlier cars, especially ones that are only the slow AC not the 7kw.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I use chademo but as I don't really go that far plus all the existing and new rapids going in have chademo it's a non-issue here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Chademo seems wounded really. I'd think the decline won't start for a few years and at some point there will be lots squabbling over CCS while Chademo chargers will be available all the time.
Almost all public charger units, with the exception of Ionity, are double-headers and triple-headers so it's not like Chademo units will be more available than CCS ones.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
Soul EV I had would be in high 40s at the decent rapids. Charged at faster speeds than the Leaf I had. 70kw peak from memory but if you checked the 20-80% times in the manual the difference on 50kw chargers to the faster ones was almost non existent.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I think with AC on cars now being 11kw and often 22kw it is possible AC might make a resurgence.

Perhaps someone can find a way of retrofitting CCS to an older Leaf or making some kind of adapter. It would seem a good way of extending the natural life of the earlier cars, especially ones that are only the slow AC not the 7kw.
It's a non issue

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,794 Posts
I'm not aware of any cars with Chademo connectors that can charge at more than 50kW in the UK.
They do exist. The LEAF E+ is an example. It's supposed to be up to 100kW max but in the real world seems to be more like 75kW peak.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,125 Posts
Why?

Misinformed how?

I'm happy to be wrong but I see no evidence of it suddenly becoming anything other than a dying old technology.
It will around for as long as there are EVs that need to use it: so 10years at least.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
708 Posts
This from the CHAdeMO association. 15% is hardly market making. Of those 40% is one specific Chinese variant (ie, different). And a huge chunk of the total will be Mk1 and Mk2 Leafs.

I'm happy to be convinced it's the way forward but I don't see it.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
708 Posts
It will around for as long as there are EVs that need to use it: so 10years at least.
True, just like Betamax tapes were available long after the players became sidelined.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,125 Posts
This from the CHAdeMO association. 15% is hardly market making. Of those 40% is one specific Chinese variant (ie, different). And a huge chunk of the total will be Mk1 and Mk2 Leafs.

I'm happy to be convinced it's the way forward but I don't see it.

View attachment 143854
No one is suggesting it's the way forward. There is no reason to change the current twin or triple headed chargers for ones with only CCS or chademo, nor only install new ones with only one or other rapid charge port.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts