Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the UK, it looks like CCS is becoming the rapid charger connector of choice. Although there are 158 more Chademo than CCS connectors in the UK, that difference has been reduced by 73 in the last year (according to Zap-Map). I suspect there will be more CCS than Chademo connectors in a year or so. I'm not aware of any cars with Chademo connectors that can charge at more than 50kW in the UK. How long will it be before the majority of ultra rapid chargers stop installing chargers with Chademo connectors? It presumably makes no sense to pay a premium to use a 350kW charger to charge a car that can only take 50kW. 43kW AC charger installs have now slowed down to a trickle will the same happen to Chademo in a couple of years when there are no new cars using the connector?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,916 Posts
Here in the UK, it looks like CCS is becoming the rapid charger connector of choice. Although there are 158 more Chademo than CCS connectors in the UK, that difference has been reduced by 73 in the last year (according to Zap-Map). I suspect there will be more CCS than Chademo connectors in a year or so. I'm not aware of any cars with Chademo connectors that can charge at more than 50kW in the UK. How long will it be before the majority of ultra rapid chargers stop installing chargers with Chademo connectors? It presumably makes no sense to pay a premium to use a 350kW charger to charge a car that can only take 50kW. 43kW AC charger installs have now slowed down to a trickle will the same happen to Chademo in a couple of years when there are no new cars using the connector?
The UK is using CCS because it was chosen as "the standard connector" by Europe before Brexit. IIRC, only Nissan, Lexus & certain hybrids still use Chademo.
This is the main reason why I scratched the Leaf from my shortlist when buying my first EV.
Even Nissan's next car, the Ariya, will use CCS here and Chademo in Japan.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,625 Posts
I think with AC on cars now being 11kw and often 22kw it is possible AC might make a resurgence.

Chademo seems wounded really. I'd think the decline won't start for a few years and at some point there will be lots squabbling over CCS while Chademo chargers will be available all the time.

Perhaps someone can find a way of retrofitting CCS to an older Leaf or making some kind of adapter. It would seem a good way of extending the natural life of the earlier cars, especially ones that are only the slow AC not the 7kw.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The original Soul EV can charge at over 50kW on its Chademo connector. Think it’s meant to be 70-100kW peak although no personal experience of trying this out as never rapid charged it so far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chademo seems wounded really. I'd think the decline won't start for a few years and at some point there will be lots squabbling over CCS while Chademo chargers will be available all the time.
Almost all public charger units, with the exception of Ionity, are double-headers and triple-headers so it's not like Chademo units will be more available than CCS ones.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,625 Posts
Soul EV I had would be in high 40s at the decent rapids. Charged at faster speeds than the Leaf I had. 70kw peak from memory but if you checked the 20-80% times in the manual the difference on 50kw chargers to the faster ones was almost non existent.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
I think with AC on cars now being 11kw and often 22kw it is possible AC might make a resurgence.

Perhaps someone can find a way of retrofitting CCS to an older Leaf or making some kind of adapter. It would seem a good way of extending the natural life of the earlier cars, especially ones that are only the slow AC not the 7kw.
It's a non issue

·
EV Convert
2020 iPace HSE.
805 Posts
This from the CHAdeMO association. 15% is hardly market making. Of those 40% is one specific Chinese variant (ie, different). And a huge chunk of the total will be Mk1 and Mk2 Leafs.

I'm happy to be convinced it's the way forward but I don't see it.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
This from the CHAdeMO association. 15% is hardly market making. Of those 40% is one specific Chinese variant (ie, different). And a huge chunk of the total will be Mk1 and Mk2 Leafs.

I'm happy to be convinced it's the way forward but I don't see it.

View attachment 143854
No one is suggesting it's the way forward. There is no reason to change the current twin or triple headed chargers for ones with only CCS or chademo, nor only install new ones with only one or other rapid charge port.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.