Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know before I bought my Model 3 I asked about whether someone could try parking theirs in my garage. It wasn't practical at the time but I bought anyway!!

I started a little channel and made a video of me parking in that very garage, and it took quite some planning and effort!!

For your viewing pleasure...
Go easy on me in the comments, I'm crap at YouTube :LOL: The video might be extremely helpful to a lot of potential buyers though!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crikey - you wouldn't want to have to do that too many times a day, and you certainly can't afford to put on any weight! Not sure what your options are for parking on the road and how "dodgy" your area is but I would say the risk of you scraping the car trying to get it in or out of the garage is somewhat greater than the risk of someone nicking it or keying it...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,713 Posts
I would suggest, from experience here, not to rely on the blocks on the ground alone. I would be tying a piece of string to a rafter with a tennis ball to touch the windscreen when the car is far enough forward. Also, it might be worth putting a bit of pipe insulation, at the front bumper end, to the wall as it will have a bit more give than the carpet on the wall, providing you can still get past the car to get out the back door of the garage. Finally, I wouldn't even think of a Model S next time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I mean, good luck to you Dan but honestly, you mentioned keeping the paintwork nice from the weather.

I think the chance a bit of rain and wind (unless you park under a big tree) is going to damage your paintwork vs trying to squeeze your car in there every night, I'd say is enormously lower, I'll take the rain and wind any day of the week.

And then you'd also have some storage space which you can use to declutter your house.

But each to their own.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Christ o'mighty. Just watching you trying to squeeze the car into your garage was giving me anxiety.

If you're doing this everyday, seems to me it's a matter of when, not if, you will accidentally scratch your car. But best of luck with that and I really hope it doesn't happen. Don't let your insurance company see this video haha.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I lost count of how many times I said "bloody hell" while watching that, impressive stuff. How do you get back into the car, do you need to open the window again...?

Also, cracking beard (y)

I think the chance a bit of rain and wind (unless you park under a big tree) is going to damage your paintwork vs trying to squeeze your car in there every night, I'd say is enormously lower, I'll take the rain and wind any day of the week.
Garages are useful if you live next to the sea or ocean, as the salty air can turn a car into a heap of rust very quickly. Garages aren't airtight, but they can still help protect the car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be honest I can see where you're coming from with the risk factor of the car being keyed or whatever if I park it on the street, but it'd be just my luck if it happened the very first night I decided not to garage it. And I'd be more angry at myself for leaving it out than if I dinked it on the wall. I much prefer the security of it being out of sight. Even though it'd be easy to defrost the car in winter, it's a luxury having it in the garage not frosting at all. And while there's a huge risk of me connecting to the wall, if there's one talent I found I possess, it's getting in and out of tight parking spaces, been doing it with panel vans for 14 years without a single incident, sometimes with an even tighter gap or more turning involved.

I plan to remove the bricks and make a frame out of 2x4 that can be fixed in place. I do have just enough room to squeeze my legs past to get out on the small door into my garden, I also have a reference point on the wall on the left side so that if I'd accidentally knocked the bricks out of position, I would look out for the mark on the left wall. I don't feel so anxious parking in there every day now but I'm also really careful not to get "cocky" or overconfident. That's asking for trouble!!

As for decluttering, I did all that before I bought the car!! I've always garage parked and never had too much "stuff" lying about in there.

As for the beard... Reasonably new, as was the commitment to the full bald head! Happy with the look, finally!!

I do indeed have to put the window down to get back in the car!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's actually a good idea, but American garages are about as big as our houses so he might not see the need..
Borne out of my Mother in Law's inability to get her Honda Jazz in her own garage on a new development..... you know the ones where they tell the planners that they don't need extra parking spaces because everyone parks their cars in the garage.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should tweet it as an idea to Mr Musk 'Garage Mode' - where you can store a distance setting from the front ( or rear) of the car to exactly where you want it when parking in your 'garage'. ;-)
When I'm parked about 3 inches from the wall the screen says 15 inches one day, 28 inches the next, I've more faith in my two floor-dwelling bricks 😂

I doubt Elon would care much about a tweet from a nobody such as myself

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I'm parked about 3 inches from the wall the screen says 15 inches one day, 28 inches the next, I've more faith in my two floor-dwelling bricks 😂

I doubt Elon would care much about a tweet from a nobody such as myself
Ha ha, tennis ball on the windscreen and bricks it is then, to be fair, sometimes better not to complicate matters! Good work on the garage admin, especially taking the leap of faith with the car!

·
Registered
239 Posts
:oops:

Very impressive.

I thought I was doing well getting the Ioniq in a new-build garage but putting a Model 3 in there is on another level.

In mine, I have to fold the mirrors in to clear the main door frame but after that there's plenty of space either side.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You definitely care about the car - I notice the carpet on the walls to prevent dings on the door edges. In such a confined space it's so much easier to reverse in, not least as the wing mirrors help with aim. I reverse an Ioniq into a similar width. Just before the wing mirrors get to the garage door, they can be folded in with the button.

In order to be able to shuffle around the front of the car I have to get to within 1cm of the rear wall. I've got an offcut of carpet underlay in a tube shape which squashes nicely. An arrow taped on the wall lines up with the reversing camera so I can see if it's in the perfect zone ( a tolerance of about 4 cm).

If that was my M3 I'd at least try reversing in. It would allow the rear of the car to be tucked nicely into the corner opposite the access door, leaving more space to open the driver door. That will depend where the driver door meets that pillar. The only trick will be judging the distance needed to be able to lift the charging slot, and insert the Type2 plug.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I
I'd at least try reversing in. It would allow the rear of the car to be tucked nicely into the corner opposite the access door, leaving more space to open the driver door. That will depend where the driver door meets that pillar. The only trick will be judging the distance needed to be able to lift the charging slot, and insert the Type2 plug.
I tried to reverse in when I first arrived home. It was much easier to drive in forwards and get out of the driver's door than clambering to get out of the passenger side if I reversed in because the pillar is in the way. The rear of the car is bulkier and higher than the front so I wouldn't be able to squeeze past to exit the garage through the small door like I can when it's in forward.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Late to the party, I know, but @DanPaul I applaud you for the efforts you go to EVERY DAY to park your model 3 in that ‘garage’. My garage is a decent size and sometimes, I just can’t be bothered to go through the motions, but from now on, your video and struggles will inspire me to make the effort! 👍🏻

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Late to the party, I know, but @DanPaul I applaud you for the efforts you go to EVERY DAY to park your model 3 in that ‘garage’. My garage is a decent size and sometimes, I just can’t be bothered to go through the motions, but from now on, your video and struggles will inspire me to make the effort! 👍🏻
This is the first house I had that came with a garage and I am a little obsessive about parking in there!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.