Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might not be an EV thing, I doubt it in fact, but we do seem to wear ours out a bit quicker due to heavier and more torque at low speed.

Here's the thing;

the Soul arrived with 6.4mm of tread on them. AFAIK new tyres should be 8.0 to 8.5mm

I swap my tyres at 4mm, so a 6mm tyre is half worn as far as I am concerned.

As it happens, did not cover the full 30k and they Soul tyres had plenty of tread left.

Michelin say 'Ah, the tyres are design so that they wear less, so the tread patter is not an indication of their wear'. errr ... OK, well if you believe your own bullshit then I guess you might say that.

So, I am sad to see that the Zoe has arrived with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres carrying .... 6.1mm of tread!

Shit almighty, TBH I'd prefer they discounted the price of the tyres and I'd buy my own.

Are 6.1mm tyres really going to last very long on a Zoe?

This is an environmental crime. All that manufacturing effort into a tyre that appears to be designed to not last long. Probably hitting some price point as 1st tier sale into the new car production line.

Pretty disgusting.

If cars were really being manufactured to environmentally benign objectives, wouldn't they fit remoulds to new cars?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Given Michelin tyre life is still the best on the market by some measures, I would say that having a car that loses less rubber over the same period and I also ligher and maintains a more consistent rolling circumference, can only be a good thing.

There's not much point having a tyre tread that lasts 50,000 miles (which I've had Michelin tyres go beyond) if you're likely to get a puncture or perish in that time.

Kudos to Michelin.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given Michelin tyre life is still the best on the market by some measures, I would say that having a car that loses less rubber over the same period and I also ligher and maintains a more consistent rolling circumference, can only be a good thing.

There's not much point having a tyre tread that lasts 50,000 miles (which I've had Michelin tyres go beyond) if you're likely to get a puncture or perish in that time.

Kudos to Michelin.
The tyres on the Soul were lasting no better than other tyres I have had.

The wear rate was, in fact, exactly the same as the kleber transpro I bought for the Espace, which come with .... 10.5mm of tread!!

50k mile tyres should be the norm by now with modern technology. They should last an average motorist the same time it takes for them to survive normal sun/environmental exposure which is about 6 years to be safe.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And you complain about wasting resources?

Can I buy your tyres off you when you’re done?
You need 4mm of tread to be safe in winter. By the end of winter they'll be 3mm and already considerably and dangerously under-performing in the wet/snow.

For Spain, probably OK, they'll be ready for your collection!

It was the southern states of the EU that pushed for 1.6mm minimum,saying the same sort of thing as you, the rest wanted 3mm.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You need 4mm of tread to be safe in winter. By the end of winter they'll be 3mm and already considerably and dangerously under-performing in the wet/snow.

For Spain, probably OK, they'll be ready for your collection!

It was the southern states of the EU that pushed for 1.6mm minimum,saying the same sort of thing as you, the rest wanted 3mm.
looks like you've fallen for the failings of bad tyre manufacturers. Michelin don't have such an issue.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
You should be swapping for winter/snow tyres, unless you’re some sort of reckless monster.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like you've fallen for the failings of bad tyre manufacturers. Michelin don't have such an issue.

What is that last graphic trying to show me?

That the 'best' worn tyre is only a half as good as when it was new?

hmmmm .... errr ... OK ....

I'll stick with ROSPAs findings, if that's OK with you?

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be swapping for winter/snow tyres, unless you’re some sort of reckless monster.
heh.

Tha's funny.

The world has really turned upside down.

20 years ago when I started using winter tyres everyone said I was dumb and how expensive and unnecessary it was.

Now I am being told off for thinking of not changing them out!

As it happens, I know full well (because I have been using winter tyres for so long) that in some cases summer tyres are actually just as good as winder tyres in 'our' usual winter conditions (grey/wet) and the question of whether you 'should' use winter tyres rather depends on how good or bad your summer tyres are.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
Are 6.1mm tyres really going to last very long on a Zoe?
I've had 2. Zoe 1 did 14988 miles over 2 years on original tyres before p/x. Zoe 2 did 20831 over 2 years on the original tyres before p/x, although they were close to replacement. Would probably have lasted 6 to 8 months more. Would have changed them around September, before winter started. Swapping front to rear does help.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had 2. Zoe 1 did 14988 miles over 2 years on original tyres before p/x. Zoe 2 did 20831 over 2 years on the original tyres before p/x, although they were close to replacement. Would probably have lasted 6 to 8 months more. Would have changed them around September, before winter started. Swapping front to rear does help.
What tread depth the original?

My point is that they seem to be getting less and less on new cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up my new (to me) 2018 Zoe last week and tried to haggle some new tires into the sale, since they were looking a bit low. He got out a tire gauge and measured 4.05 mm on the front and 6 on the back, and declined to offer new tires... I was mostly just annoyed because I had only recently (<6 months ago) put brand-new tires on the Clio I was selling to get the Zoe, and I know EVs go through tires quicker than ICE cars. They did swap the back to the front, but I'm going to be quite annoyed if I have to pay for all new tires in less than a year....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just replaced all four tyres on my ICE car with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I was slightly disappointed the tread depth from new measured at 7mm, was expecting 8mm like you say.

Still, on the bright side compared with the worn, runflat Bridgestones fitted originally, the handling of the car is phenomenal not to mention quieter and comfier.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I might be the odd one out here, but I've always preferred to let the fronts wear down and then when replacing put the new tyres on the rear and put the rears onto the front.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I just replaced all four tyres on my ICE car with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I was slightly disappointed the tread depth from new measured at 7mm, was expecting 8mm like you say.

Still, on the bright side compared with the worn, runflat Bridgestones fitted originally, the handling of the car is phenomenal not to mention quieter and comfier.
If you think about it, the tread pattern means that the car is perched on top of a lot of small rubber blocks. If they are bungalows then they will be fairly rigid. If they are 4-storey buildings (with the same footprint) they will be somewhat wobbly.
So for handling and feel a shallower tread may be better.

·
Super Moderator
7,413 Posts
I might be the odd one out here, but I've always preferred to let the fronts wear down and then when replacing put the new tyres on the rear and put the rears onto the front.
I was always reccomended to do this to help control tail slides.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
its funny you mention that. When we got our previous EV, (B250e) i checked the tread depth after about 9 months of driving, and was shocked at the amount of wear. I had incorrectly assumed the tyres were 8mm new, and the fronts were down to 4mm, with the rears around 5.5. I swapped them front to back (something i never usually do), expecting to have to replace them before the lease was up, as i'm thinking i'd worn 4mm off them in 9 months. But as you've found, they were actually more like 6mm new, which meant that i'd actually only worn about 2mm off them, and they lasted just fine till the end of the lease.

I also idly wondered if there was something odd going on... perhaps the outer few mm made from a stickier faster wearing compound to ensure great reviews, as i always felt the tyres lacked grip despite reviewing very highly in various group tests.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts