Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
What tread depth the original?

My point is that they seem to be getting less and less on new cars.
Sorry, no idea. However, I could probably bet that the situation was similar to yours. Maybe now's the time to get on to the thinner brake pads to save weight?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
I might be the odd one out here, but I've always preferred to let the fronts wear down and then when replacing put the new tyres on the rear and put the rears onto the front.
Yeah, I've asked several tyre dealers about which is better. New on the front or rear. I've had conflicting answers. I prefer to buy a full set that way it doesn't matter and I may get a discount.

PS I nearly always swap front to rear at about 18 months. Depending how close to winter it is.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The Michelin Primacy 4 tyre manufacturers blurb says that the tyres have square cut sides to the tread grooves which reduces the drop off in performance of the tyre as they wear below 3mm. Tyre tread is usually bath tub shape in section with rounded bottoms and sloping sides, reducing the space for rainwater as they wear.

I've replaced the front tyres on my Zoe twice at just below 3 mm tread left in the centre, but barely legal on the outer edges as the tyres start with less tread on the outer edges on the Zoe seems to wear them a bit more heaily ( even though infalated to 40psi). Both changes were at 25 000 miles. I changed the rear tyres as well at the last change as they were close to 3mm and the side walls were cracking.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts