Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Golf Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

And the best quote from the [email protected]:

"The problem with electric cars is that one must suffer to be a pioneer. It’s possibly like buying a petrol car at the beginning of the 20th century except instead of a man walking in front with a red flag, you need a fire marshal in a diesel with a tow rope."

·
Registered
5,153 Posts

And the best quote from the [email protected]:

"The problem with electric cars is that one must suffer to be a pioneer. It’s possibly like buying a petrol car at the beginning of the 20th century except instead of a man walking in front with a red flag, you need a fire marshal in a diesel with a tow rope."
Of course the journalist is totally confused as to which country he is in (French Red Flag I don't think so)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,982 Posts
Oh god, 2014 called and want their misinformation back.
  • Installed a charge point at home, but won't work if you turn on the kettle? Clearly not done by a proper electrician who calculated the diversity. Doesn't realise you can charge this thing at night whilst you sleep.
  • Realises that the French motorway charging network is just as bad as the UK's.
  • Meets someone who drove to France in a Nissan Leaf and had a bad time. Because the infrastructure is crap.
  • Reads about Hyundai Konas catching on fire, but ignores the hundreds of ICE fires each day.
  • Hyundai dealership can't really help him about how to use the car.
So not much has changed since the early days then?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
😂 He sounds as full of the joys as a lot of SpeakEV’ers!

Tant pis, pas de regrets hein...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,982 Posts
I guess no-one would read the article where he bought an electric car and it was actually quite good, with no issues.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Does anyone really expect something approaching journalistic integrity from the speccy?
I thought that Boris had stopped being the Editor some years ago? :devilish:

·
Registered
295 Posts
He lives in France and has dodgy electrics - quelle suprise - the French electricity company installed dangerous chargers on the highways - quelle suprise - and he then has a bit of a swipe at Ecotricity because France can’t ever be worse than the UK - quelle suprise - and finally he has a tale of woe from folks who drive a Nissan Leaf. Actually that is a bit of a surprise because I generally find Leaf owners pretty sharp about the deficiencies of the battery capacity on their car and they plan around it extra hard. And the root cause of all of this is basically dodgy French infrastructure. Quelle suprise!

Bottom line - Electric cars are great, French electricity not so much.

No-one ever remembers when the petrol tanker drivers went on strike and you literally couldn’t get fuel.... so ICE cars must be GREAT!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
There's a certain kind of story that gets written by journalists.

I got an EV. It was nice to drive. Oh look, it takes 25 hours to charge, that's a long lunch stop! Went on a long journey, had problems with the infrastructure. Range anxiety.

Same story every time. At least this one is different in that it has a sub-plot with a car that’s been recalled and an unhelpful dealer

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Does anyone really expect something approaching journalistic integrity from the speccy?
Sadly I get the impression the Spectator prides itself on writing articles that it considers "edgy" or "slightly controversial" - like they take a scan on the direction society is going in and writes to appeal to those who aren't massively happy with that direction that has been taken

So I am not surprised they are cultivating as many anti-EV stories as possible

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
655 Posts
That's top notch journalism. I have had some issues with my car that can be attributed to a poor charging network, a lousy dealer and oh, I have had a couple of recalls that are of course exclusive to EVs and they are gonna change my battery because there's a very tiny chance it might burn so my generic conclusion is 'The problem with electric cars is that one must suffer to be a pioneer. '.

Mister Jonathan Miller is full of merde if you ask me. And if he has children, please let them have fond memories of a father who has actively contributed to anti EV sentiments that will undoubtedly delay the transition and thus let them breathe toxic fumes for longer than they ought to.

·
Banned
367 Posts
France is not easy on an EV.

Some regions of France have free slow and fast chargers with a Freshmile card.
Some regions don't have any chargers at all or they're broken.

I applaud the big chains of grocery and furniture stores, they're really stepping up.
Auchan, Leclerc, Lidl, Ikea.

Auchan and Ikea are offering critical infrastructure for EV's in France, they deserve a medal for it, but so does Nissan whom I believe initiated the cooperation and paid for the fast chargers.
And credit where credit is due, most of their chargers are working.

Less laudable are the Nissan dealerships which are not often happy to see you stop for a charge.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,982 Posts
I managed OK in France last time I visited in an EV - but that was pre Covid times.

It's a bit like the UK, lots of new infrastructure springing up, but also lots of old stuff that doesn't work.

Takes a bit of research to navigate.

Unless you have a Tesla, then life is easy of course.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I saw the article on my phone feed and don't think I'll take up the offer of some free articles before subscribing, but it was useful to see a few of the headlines just to confirm the decision..

Just as well I've never seen any petrol fuelled cars alight or burnt out at the side of the motorway.. Has their been any advisory on petrol cars in garages? Most garages and lock-ups round here don't contain cars but (rather inflammable) junk!

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
643 Posts
He lives in France and has dodgy electrics - quelle suprise - the French electricity company installed dangerous chargers on the highways - quelle suprise
These folks are allegedly building is a nuclear reactor at Hinckley Point?!!

That’s actually pretty scary!

I can’t believe people are still spreading this muck about EV’s.

This is akin to the Australian government opening new coal mines while the whole country is on fire due to climate change!

Maybe we should start writing articles about ICE vehicles that feature oil slicks and dead wildlife?

We could even put a box on there that asks you how many miles you drive per year that then calculates how many pelicans and dolphins you’ve murdered in your lifetime.

Do you think that would catch on?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
878 Posts
For a minute I had my Jonathan Millers mixed up. I could have sworn he was dead, and it turns out I was right. This is a lesser Jonathan Miller, which is a bit of a relief (apart from the dead bit) - I liked the other one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts