Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can see from the motoring media, youtubers and forums; the state of the ID3 post 2.1 software in May seems to be:

1. Very few mechanical faults reported, build seems to be really good.
2. No 12v battery issues post 2.1. Whether this is a root cause fix or just a workaround is unknown.
3. A number of controller issues prior to 2.1 and during 2.1 update.The scale is not known but quite a few reports.
3. The 2.1 software has resolved most of the false reporting issues, function freezes and improved boot up. Stability has improved a lot. However, still reports of some strange ‘random’ behaviours and laggy infotainment. Sat nav capability needs improvement especially the charging stations and planning. Voice control remains really poor.
4.Efficiency at higher speeds isn’t great, well known cold weather battery heating issues. Aircon seems to be quite ‘hungry’ also.
5. The car is very well regarded in terms of its smooth drive, quietness, comfort and charging abilities.
Hopefully, the summer software updates will resolve most remaining bugs and achieve stability.
The controller issues will hopefully be worked through, although it has been a prolonged mess.
What is most interesting to me is wether and efficiency gains can be made. Notably around battery heating and aircon.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
312 Posts
Yep, sounds about right.

I must have ticked at least 30 items off the ongoing list I've shared with my dealer over the last 6 months - every software version has been a good step forward from 0564 > 0570 > 0783 > 0792 - no issues worthy of mention since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If they can tweak The battery heating and aircon , plus some issues charging when in sleep mode, it would be a super car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd argue that short journeys at low temps are more detrimental to the long-term health of the battery compared to where a constant load is applied at an optimal temperature.

If you are making only short journeys then you won't be asking for the range and therefore increased consumption is a moot point.

There is also a problem in defining what exactly a short journey is. For me it's 2 miles, for others it might be 10. Is it then a short journey if I make the return journey 10 minutes later? What about if the return journey is 15 minutes later, or 5?

What if I do a 2 mile journey, followed 10 minutes later by an unplanned 10 mile journey, followed 15 minutes later by a 3 mile journey? What happens if there is a diversion halfway round my journey? I'd be annoyed if I had to set a battery heater option for every one of those journeys.

I'd be more annoyed if I then had a problem with the long-term health of the battery if VW allowed me to have a set and forget option for the battery heater and I did a random 120 mile journey at 40mph average in winter with the heater turned off and I happened to to forget to turn the heater back on.

What if I wasn't tech savvy enough to know what a battery heater was and the implications of turning it on or off were? My mother doesn't know what a kwh is, now there's a requirement for a battery heater on or off option?

This is a car for the masses and designed as so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery heating in winter isn't an issue. It heats by design.
Most youtubers suggesting it is poor design vis-à-vis other manufacturers, including some rogue behaviours.
ps. It was 5.5 degs C 2 days ago up here! Battery heats to 13 degs.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
From what I can see from the motoring media, youtubers and forums; the state of the ID3 post 2.1 software in May seems to be:

1. Very few mechanical faults reported, build seems to be really good.
2. No 12v battery issues post 2.1. Whether this is a root cause fix or just a workaround is unknown.
3. A number of controller issues prior to 2.1 and during 2.1 update.The scale is not known but quite a few reports.
3. The 2.1 software has resolved most of the false reporting issues, function freezes and improved boot up. Stability has improved a lot. However, still reports of some strange ‘random’ behaviours and laggy infotainment. Sat nav capability needs improvement especially the charging stations and planning. Voice control remains really poor.
4.Efficiency at higher speeds isn’t great, well known cold weather battery heating issues. Aircon seems to be quite ‘hungry’ also.
5. The car is very well regarded in terms of its smooth drive, quietness, comfort and charging abilities.
Hopefully, the summer software updates will resolve most remaining bugs and achieve stability.
The controller issues will hopefully be worked through, although it has been a prolonged mess.
What is most interesting to me is wether and efficiency gains can be made. Notably around battery heating and aircon.
A good summary. Scheduled charging with 'dumb' chargers is still buggy; the car consistently under-charges.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do people think the ID3 heating, aircon systems are a bit thirstier than other EVs? Unless it’s how it’s managed eg. a more restrictive Eco mode or like.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,665 Posts
Batterylife, Teslabjorn, Kris Rifa the main relevant youtubers have all discussed it.
I don’t recall them saying it was ‘poor design’ though? Design, yes.

Actually, I can’t be doing with Kris Rifa, so he might have said it! 😂

I remember TB complaining it pulled a lot of energy whilst he was camped in a car park overnight, and wanted a ‘camping mode’, but hardly relevant for most users I’d have thought.

It’s an argument done to death on the ID.3 efficiency thread, it’s how VW have designed it. It pulls a few kW when cold, sure, but if you want a warm cabin quickly?

It does impact the cold weather short trip efficiency, but if they’re doing it to protect the battery long term then so be it.

I think they could improve it by pulling the energy required to heat the battery from the wall prior to departure if still plugged in, I understand it takes it from the battery and could be drawing more than the charger could replenish?

I mitigate it on longer trips by charging the last 20-30% just before departure so that the battery is warmed along with the cabin.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
By doing your last 20% charge just before departure, you have found the high-tech person's answer to the perceived problem.

The low-tech person, like me, doesn't perceive the problem nor does he want to be fiddling about. The car is sensibly designed to cope with the non technical users and protect itself from them.

A good design in my book.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t recall them saying it was ‘poor design’ though? Design, yes.

Actually, I can’t be doing with Kris Rifa, so he might have said it! 😂

I remember TB complaining it pulled a lot of energy whilst he was camped in a car park overnight, and wanted a ‘camping mode’, but hardly relevant for most users I’d have thought.

It’s an argument done to death on the ID.3 efficiency thread, it’s how VW have designed it. It pulls a few kW when cold, sure, but if you want a warm cabin quickly?

It does impact the cold weather short trip efficiency, but if they’re doing it to protect the battery long term then so be it.

I think they could improve it by pulling the energy required to heat the battery from the wall prior to departure if still plugged in, I understand it takes it from the battery and could be drawing more than the charger could replenish?

I mitigate it on longer trips by charging the last 20-30% just before departure so that the battery is warmed along with the cabin.
A bit obtuse there Tooks. They have all said the ID3 cold weather efficiency is surprisingly poor compared to others, especially short trips, but also with what appears to be rogue battery heating cycles. It has nothing to do with a warm cabin.
If that is a deliberate design it isn’t a good one. And many people have mentioned the issue on here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By doing your last 20% charge just before departure, you have found the high-tech person's answer to the perceived problem.

The low-tech person, like me, doesn't perceive the problem nor does he want to be fiddling about. The car is sensibly designed to cope with the non technical users and protect itself from them.

A good design in my book.
Other manufacturers don’t have ‘fiddling about’ they just seem to have a better design algorithm and/or automated implementation. Although I agree some are calling for maybe a ‘short trip’ button or like to get further efficiencies. I can’t personally see that happening.
Anyway this is a diversion from the thread purpose. Very Speakev!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YouTube (or a forum) really shouldn't be used as a source of fact.

Expression of opinions, fine, but a negative opinion of a feature shouldn't not be interpreted as poor design and taken as fact.
From a guy who rubbished the whole UK dealer technical network based on one forum post on here that is pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Other manufacturers don’t have ‘fiddling about’ they just seem to have a better design algorithm and/or automated implementation. Although I agree some are calling for maybe a ‘short trip’ button or like to get further efficiencies. I can’t personally see that happening.
Anyway this is a diversion from the thread purpose. Very Speakev!
To be fair, 'better design' won't be proven for at least another 3+ years when we find out how the battery degrades compared those that seem to be more efficient.

·
Registered
442 Posts
From a guy who rubbished the whole UK dealer technical network based on one forum post on here that is pretty hilarious.
From another person who doesn't read properly. The first line had the word claimed in it. If you read the rest of my posts you'll see that I'm often banging on about misinformation. Don't let that sway your agenda or ignorance though.

And yes my opinion of the UK dealer network is poor. At best.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,665 Posts
A bit obtuse there Tooks. They have all said the ID3 cold weather efficiency is surprisingly poor compared to others, especially short trips, but also with what appears to be rogue battery heating cycles. It has nothing to do with a warm cabin.
If that is a deliberate design it isn’t a good one. And many people have mentioned the issue on here and elsewhere.
Cold weather short trip efficiency is not a ‘thing’ they discovered, it was being mentioned on here long before YT’ers had to fill their videos with something.

I’m a TB Patreon, I like what he has to say about EVs, but in all the videos I’ve seen he praises the ID.3 for being ‘efficient’, ie overall and as a package.

You’re forgetting that all 3 of the reviewers you’ve mentioned live in far colder climes than ours, and even in TBs cold weather range tests he said it was good in the circumstances.

Short trip cold weather efficiency is precisely when it matters least, you’re hardly going to be left stranded on a 5 mile round trip to Tesco are you.

I’ve put more miles on an ID.3 than most, including some 98% of the battery trips in the wet, cold and snow all through winter. Not Norway cold, or Southern Germany cold, but a good test of its efficiency nonetheless.

It’s not off topic, you repeated something that was inaccurate in your first post, don’t complain if people come back at you on it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts