1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Electric car news, reviews and advice
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
As head of FFUK I'm pleased with QW's stance on this. Didn't know that he used to own an Ampera.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
This is all very well and good but there is an elephant in the room. The EV80 may be the same size and load capacity as a transit but what work can it actually do at that? It only claims 215miles so it's only really going to do 150 or so. Now stick 1250kg in the back and someone on minimum wage in the front then watch it make a 24kWh leaf look like a long range option.

I want ev's to take off. What I don't want is people to buy them based on claims that are wildly optimistic only to completely ignore them for 20 years after.

Ev's make a brilliant buy for businesses just as long as they know the limitations. Very low BIK, very low running costs, great image, etc - they really are bang on but things like that LDV need to be sold as short distance only because that's what it is. Nothing wrong with that but if someone buys it expecting it to do 150 miles half loaded in winter they are going to be very disappointed.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Agree.

But I can't imagine builders merchants buying them to drive them around a breakneck speed fully loaded. It's more likely florists, milk men, small city delivery options; royal mail, pharmacy deliveries etc.

An EV van would would in some situations (certainly not all) and it's those that should make the move. We had a works van used to take cardboard to the tip. That was it's main job and occassionally to bring a couple packs of bottled water or coke for the visitors fridge from the local cash & carry 2 miles away.

I think the limitations do need pointing out though as you are right about much reduced range in winter and/or when loaded.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
White Van EV Man :eek:
I used to do parcel deliveries years ago and I would have loved an electric van. At the time those little French pickups were just coming about (can't remember who made them) and while I was on my rounds I used to see a few of the guys cleaning bus stops using them. 6am really does exaggerate just how loud a diesel transit is next to an electric.

·
Registered
927 Posts
QW~It all started when Jeremy Clarkson said electric cars will never work and electric cars were driven by people with facial hair and body hygiene issues. He took on this determined campaign to discredit them and rubbish them.
That was 5 years ago with the BBC following the lead…..and this set back the cause some 3 to 5 years
I Remember when Top Gear used to review cars and wasn't just a grown up version of Play School .. in cars ,

imagine if TG had remained an informative program with a positive message ? but our national broadcaster was happy to bank the profits rather than be informative .

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I Remember when Top Gear used to review cars and wasn't just a grown up version of Play School .. in cars ,

imagine if TG had remained an informative program with a positive message ? but our national broadcaster was happy to bank the profits rather than be informative .
I think a better analogy for a couple of the last series is scrapyard challenge meets robot wars, play school was much more sophisticated.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
'Dear Customer,
As part of our commitment to care for our environment you will be pleased to note that we use Electric Vans and Cars in our business. This enables us also to reduce some of our costs , which we have decided to pass on to you in return for a small degree of assistance from you . As you know fuel costs do make up a large, if often hidden, part of business costs. In our price quoted to you we have removed those costs. In return all we require from you is that our vehicles be given access to a good quality 13 amp supply during their time on your site, to a maximum of 22kwh per vehicle per day. ( a cost of approx £4 , as against the normal fuel price of £32 for the same return journey.)
We know that this is an unusual idea , but we also believe that it is a small step on the path to reduce both our impact on the environment and to reduce costs for our customers.

Yours,
Arfur Brick.
Builder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts