Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see "Tonight" about the adoption of EV's in the UK? What a load of tosh. I was expecting a balanced programme about the pros and cons and all I go was the perpetuation of all the urban myths.

It was the same old tired format of taking two complete novices, putting them in an EV with only 120 miles of range and see if they can get to London. They had a man from the AA talking about having to use flat bed trucks to recover an EV from the motorway network if it runs out of charge, without mentioning that it has never happened (Google it), and that over 1,500 fossil cars having to be recovered in 2018 (Google that as well). And then they had some professor who I think was talking about laptop batteries, because he said the technology was improving so that in the future, the batteries wouldn't have to be replaced, completely ignoring the 100,000 mile warranty.

I left a comment on the ITV.com website saying how diasappointed I was with their negative reporting and for once couldn't they ask an EV owner to do one of these shows and get a real perspective on EV ownership.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another half hour of TV filled with dumbed down cheap content.
Can’t imagine anyone who watched that rushing out to buy an electric car.
Electric cars aren’t perfect but they deserve a more factual reporting format then ITV are able to or want to provide.

Can’t remember seeing an educational or informative programme on TV this year on any subject. Stopped expecting anything else but one day it will happen! (Live in hope)

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
It wouldn’t be very interesting TV if they got to work on time without incident, now would it?

Or the fact that owners normally just charge at home during normal commuting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
and again on the bias BBC same old adage.
Fuels the we need to do 600 miles every day.
they dont speak or use the cars for a long time.
The guy last night went wrong so it was the cars fault, really. He made the error.
fed up of trying to convince people how easy they are.
always knocking, they do know its against the law to go on a motorway without enough fuel. we do have enough to get anywhere.
Why aren't they talking to us.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
58 Posts
Glad I didn't watch it. (Not that I watch ITV anyway, dross channel), but I could have put money on how they'd portray them.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Why do EV owners watch this kind of TV? It only make you more stupid for watching it.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,531 Posts
Watched it and was disappointed.

My thoughts:

Rolled my eyes when they were given the Mini.

They went from 28 kWh useable in the classic Ioniq to 28.9 kWh useable in the Mini, which uses 4 year old discontinued BMW i3 battery tech.

The Ioniq is capable of faster charging and more efficient, so they actually would have been better off doing their long journey in the Ioniq they used 2 years ago.

Don’t really understand why they chose to give them a Mini, or at least didn’t mention that there are other options with more range around the same price that could do the journey more quickly.

Dont understand what the problem was with the Shell charger they tried? Why was it going to “take an hour to charge” with 40 miles of range (around 40%) still remaining??? That wasn’t explained at all.

The portrayal of the MK hub experience was probably fair enough.

The talk of apps “blowing my mind” was a little odd given they showed no use of apps at all in the show. If I didn’t know anything about EVs and just watched this show, I’d be thinking what are they on about apps for.

The “breaking down” thing was OTT - I wonder what the stats are for how many EVs have ever stopped dead on motorways because they’ve run out of charge. I bet it’s in single figures.

Bit at very beginning from AA guy about lockdown showing that EVs may be more viable because people have realised they can walk or cycle to the shops didn’t really make sense given EVs are most suitable for short journeys, and the people now walking or cycling have probably mostly switched from public transport rather than cars.

Grant Schapps probably spoke the most sense of anyone in the show, which is saying something.

3/10

Another thread on this here:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The “breaking down” thing was OTT - I wonder what the stats are for how many EVs have ever stopped dead on motorways because they’ve run out of charge. I bet it’s in single figures.
The only stats I could find were from the Highways Agency for 2018, when 1,500 fossil cars were recovered for running out of fuel and no EV's running out of charge. Which isn't surprising when the car keeps nagging you to fill up when you are running low. You have to be really determined and stubborn to run out of charge. :)

There was also that woman talking about the energy needed to make the car in the first place. Doesn't that apply to any vehicle? And they neglected to show the Hyundai factory in Korea with it's solar roof, or the Tesla factories with solar roofs, wind turbines and geothermal heat pumps.

And they mentioned the extra load on the National Grid, neglecting to mention that most EV's charge at night when the demand is at its lowest.

Really poor investigative journalism. I'll post the reply from ITV when I get it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yes i saw the programme on bbc breakfast, my work involves keeping up with lockdowns etc.
they did a piece about the sales and straight away attacked the Nisan guy blaming him for the poor service from the likes of ecotricity on the motorways.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder what the stats are for how many EVs have ever stopped dead on motorways because they’ve run out of charge. I bet it’s in single figures.
I've just done 2 searches on Google.

"Number of cars running out of fuel in UK?". The answer was 43 every day.

"Number of electric vehicles running out of charge?" The answer was "What happens when you run out of battery?", "What happens if my electric car runs out of charge?" etc. This implies there are no statistics for any EV ever running out of charge. Surely it must have happened, because the Daily Fail would be all over it like a rash. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
yup and we can get home plug in and charge for next to nothing. lower running costs higher residuals
what more can a consumerist world ask for
most is because they want you to keep buying
seen more broken down cars than electric. and we carry a great back up. we can ask to plug in.

·
1,531 Posts
I suppose it’s inevitable that when eventually the majority of cars on the road are EVs there will statistically be some idiots driving some who may then manage to totally run out of juice on a smart motorway. But I’m going to predict here and now that by 2030 this will have happened maybe 20 times.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I suppose it’s inevitable that when eventually the majority of cars on the road are EVs there will statistically be some idiots driving some who may then manage to totally run out of juice on a smart motorway. But I’m going to predict here and now that by 2030 this will have happened maybe 20 times.
And if it's more common, every breakdown truck will be carrying a fast-charger.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've just done 2 searches on Google.

"Number of cars running out of fuel in UK?". The answer was 43 every day.
If 43 people a day are stupid enough to run out of fuel on a motorway, there is nothing to say that 43 people will be stupid enough to run out of electricity in a few years time.
I think the issue that was raised was that an ICE vehicle can quickly be dragged off the motorway, an EV needs to be put on a flatbed which takes a lot more time.

·
1,531 Posts
If 43 people a day are stupid enough to run out of fuel on a motorway, there is nothing to say that 43 people will be stupid enough to run out of electricity in a few years time.
I think the issue that was raised was that an ICE vehicle can quickly be dragged off the motorway, an EV needs to be put on a flatbed which takes a lot more time.
I don’t agree - most EVs inherently already have much better and more precise remaining range indicators, together with much more obvious and clear warnings than most ICE cars (particularly older ICE cars where all you get if you’re lucky is a little orange light).

I think you have to be wilfully trying to push an EV to the limit to run out of juice on a smart motorway and so end up in a live lane. Even if you did manage to run out on a normal motorway, you would almost certainly be able to coast on to the hard shoulder. I really think we’re talking about edge cases here with EVs on smart motorways. I can’t see it happening very often at all.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Well, I'm going to push back a little. Overall I thought it was pretty well balanced and much better than I expected based on previous similar reports. It was mostly positive, even if they did insist on another long trip in a short range EV. The guy admitted to going the wrong way and missing a turn, and giving up on a working charge point without explanation, and he still made it fine. And we know the comments about motorway charge points being rubbish are mostly fair.

And maybe no EV has ever run out of charge on a UK motorway (but I've driven at least one junction distance at 15mph to avoid that happening!).

Reactions: inf0mike and mikegs

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don’t agree - most EVs inherently already have much better and more precise remaining range indicators, together with much more obvious and clear warnings than most ICE cars (particularly older ICE cars where all you get if you’re lucky is a little orange light).

I think you have to be wilfully trying to push an EV to the limit to run out of juice on a smart motorway and so end up in a live lane. Even if you did manage to run out on a normal motorway, you would almost certainly be able to coast on to the hard shoulder. I really think we’re talking about edge cases here with EVs on smart motorways. I can’t see it happening very often at all.
I always thought the range indicators on EV's were called a GOM (Guess-o-meters). The i3 GOM range could disappear really quickly if you had spent most of your time pottering around town and then went on a motorway.

Up until fairly recently, we had all been driving cars with short ranges, so you had to be very aware of the remaining range. I now drive an EV with a range of 280 miles so I treat it more like an ICE vehicle. I don't have think about what range is left every time use it. According to the manual, it throws up a warning light with about 12-18 miles range left. On certain parts of the motorway network, ie Junction 8-9 on the M20 which is 14 miles, this could leave you stranded.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
And maybe no EV has ever run out of charge on a UK motorway (but I've driven at least one junction distance at 15mph to avoid that happening!).
At least with an EV you have options to go slow to make a good difference to your final stopping point. When an ICE runs short of fossil fuel you can go slow but you risk damaging your engine with sediment from the bottom of the tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts